SmugMug

Welcome to SmugMug’s official Feature Request page. Got suggestions or feature requests? We want to hear from you!

If you’re looking for support or help, please email our Support Heroes at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new.

Before submitting a new idea please search through the existing ideas. If you find it, add your vote to let us know how badly you want the feature!

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Watermarking -- Let us manually place and resize

When I go to create a watermark.. I have to make the full blank page with where I want my type to go in its correct place but it would be so much simpler to be able to just have the type without the huge space around it and be able to manually place NOT top, bottom, right, left (i want a drag and drop) and manually size it ON THE EXAMPLE PHOTO for vertical and horizontal photos separately. That way i would only need one photo to create as many different watermarks as i want (for instance a small…

474 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      38 comments  ·  Image Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Allow geotagging ("edit geography") of multiple photos on one screen

At the moment I can only geotag photos one at a time; I have to open each picture first, then select the 'edit geography' link. I would like to be able to geotag multiple photos on one screen, as in the 'edit caption / keyword' feature for muliple images. Even better would be if I could just copy and paste coordinates for multiple images from an Excel spreadsheet. Geotagging images is my most time consuming operation in smugmug at present!

376 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        29 comments  ·  Image Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow us to change file names after uploading

Create a way to change file names that have been uploaded. New Smugmuggers don't know that they need to structure file names a certain way to improve SEO, and after a few hundred have been uploaded, discover that the names are not useful. Currently the files have to be re-uploaded after renaming on the user's computer, and the captions and keywords copied and pasted into the new files, then the old files deleted. Why? I can change file names when they are on my computer, why not in on my website? That is a huge waste of my time.

371 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          52 comments  ·  Image Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Let us edit Date Taken Metadata

Right now, the site uses "Date Taken" in various features (sorting, timeline, search, etc.).

If, for any reason, the metadata for "Date Taken" is missing or just plain wrong (Unix Epoch is a really popular date to take pictures, eh ?), there is no way to fix it within smugmug. The only way to rectify this problem is to download the images, do processing locally, and upload them again replacing the old images, which is a MAJOR PITA.

Please let us edit the "Date Taken" metadata for images. This will help with cameras set to a wrong date, scans, old…

131 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            21 comments  ·  Image Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Add rating to photos and use this feature to organize photos in a gallery

It would be great to be able to rate photos and use this feature to organize photos in galleries. l currently use iphoto, i have all my photos rated, i arrange my photos from best to worst. You should be able to use this feature to put top rated photos only in specific galleries for friends to see.

88 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              6 comments  ·  Image Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Watermark feature for all levels

As photographers protecting our work is essential, no mater what level you have Watermarks should be available to everyone. Even if its just a corner to corner X or Smugmug in the center. If you want to use this as a incentive for upgrading they allow custom ones higher levels.
              But all levels should be secure, same with right clicks saves. You say secure 100% but its not unless you go Pro.

55 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                8 comments  ·  Image Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • auto-watermark pictures with user-chosen watermarks based on picture orientation

We have 4 watermarks (2 white, 2 gray) that are specific to the picture's orientation when uploaded. Auto-watermarking is great, but we can only choose one watermark for all pictures. Going back through a gallery of hundreds (especially when the default thumbnail is square) to apply the other orientation watermark is a pain, usually doesn't happen because of time contraints, and looks unprofessional to the viewer. It would be awesome to choose a watermark for each orientation before auto-watermarking!

51 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Embed keywords/tags into image

I would like the option to embed the keywords or tags I set into the image. Then if I export or send the image, the keywords/tags will stay with the image.

48 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Crop Thumbnail Tool

I would like to see the current thumbnail, as cropped, shown on the thumbnail
                    crop page to the right or left of the crop window so I could skip those that
                    are currently okay.

45 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Improvements to thumbnail cropping and "featuring" images

I prefer square crop on my thumbnails but the downside is that often the result looks terrible because the center of the image (which is used for the automatic square crop) isn't necessarily the focal centre of the image - so I often end up spending a lot of time adjusting the crops, and it's currently rather complicated, unnecessarily so!

I suggest the following simple tweaks to make life easier:

1) Even though the system already knows that the thumbnail for a given image is currently square and exactly which area is covered, when the crop page opens it doesn't…

44 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        15 comments  ·  Image Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Easier view of 'date taken' information.

I have many, many, years worth of pictures that I am uploading so the 'date taken' of a picture is very important. I would like for the 'date taken' information to be visible somehow (other than having to open a photo and then go into the information tab) something similar to iPhoto. If you hover over a gallery in iPhoto, the date appears. I do not want to have to enter all the dates manually, like suggested by Smugmug Help. I know you can date an entire batch, but if you have many different years of pictures in one gallery…

41 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Please give us the option to use to the old bulk caption/keyword tool.

The original caption/keyword tool, which loaded all photos at once and allowed both bulk addition and photo-specific addition of captions and keywords all at once, was extremely efficient for me. I was able to add captions and keywords applying to all photos through the form at the top, then scroll through and quickly adjust/embellish captions and add unique, photo-specific keywords. It was so fast!

With the new Organizer, I can bulk-add captions and keywords to a group of photos, but there is no fast way for me to adjust the metadata on the photo level. I have to page through…

39 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            11 comments  ·  Image Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Remember thumbnail crop ratio

I feel like I've begged and pleaded for a better way to crop thumbnails for years now. It's certainly a huge amount faster than it ever was, but it still is a tedious task when hundreds of images are in play. I'm currently working on a gallery of 475 photos with many portrait-oriented shots and it's taking a ton of time.

While something like the old hack BZT would be ideal, there is a very easy way to make the current process infinitely better...just remember the last selected crop ratio.

I would guess the vast majority of people use a…

25 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Hide watermarks for logged in owner

It would be nice to see photos full size and without watermarks when logged in instead of having to owner save them. The new SM IPad app is great but it still limits the size and leaves the watermark even though you are logged in. I think this would be nice to add this feature on the main site as well. Sometimes I like to show my clients full size slideshows. To do this I must change the gallery settings even though I'm logged into the site. And sometimes I forget to change it back :( I can't think of…

20 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                7 comments  ·  Image Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Add keyboard shortcuts for captioning and keywording

Keyboard shortcuts are great. I love the support that smugmug has:

http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/84540-keyboard-shortcuts

But as soon as i start editing stuff, I have to reach for the mouse. I would love:
                                1. Please add a shortcut to begin caption edit of the current photo (smugmug view) and give that textbox keyboard focus.
                                2. make "enter" save the caption
                                3. Please add a shortcut to begin keyword edit of the current photo (smugmug view) and give that textbox keyboard focus.
                                4. make "enter" save the keywords

ultimately, if i can navigate a gallery and caption/keyword with only the keyboard, that would be…

19 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  3 comments  ·  Image Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Adding more fixed ratios to cropping options

It would be nice to have more fixed ratios in the cropping tool, like the golden ratio, or 16x10, 16x9... or even be allowed to enter our own custom ratio.

18 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    2 comments  ·  Image Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Shortcut keys for all main tools options eg delete, move, edit etc.

When organising lots of photos, and deleting duplicates here or there, it is always required to use the mouse and go to the tools menu. It would be great to introduce some shortcut keys to speed this up. For example in the tools menu you might see 'Rotate (r)' which would mean you only have to type the key r when displaying a photo to be presented with the rotate options. This can be applied to as many actions as possible, but should ideally be geared towards the action on a single photo. At the moment, 'h' hides photos and…

14 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      1 comment  ·  Image Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Localized photo captions

It would be über-great to be able to enter photo captions in different languages that would be displayed depending on the language settings of the viewer browser. If the language doesn't match, either display the first available language or English if available for this photo.

13 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        2 comments  ·  Image Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Let us use multiple watermarks on our images and let us customize them!

Please let us use multiple watermarks on our images. Sometimes I hide a small watermark in the background of images as proof that its my original image. Let us Use multiple watermarks on our photos. I'd also like to be able to customize and resize those watermarks.

Currently I have different watermarks all with different locations on the image and multiple watermarks with many different sizes. These watermarks should also be smart, aligning themselves vertically and horizontally automatically.

Multiple Customized Watermarks would be a dream! Please!

13 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  Image Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Add ability to categorize keywords to enable easier searching of keywords

I love the ability to add keywords, however, I would like to have the option to categorize keywords, so that I would then have the ability to look at keywords in groups, e.g., people, places, things, etc.
                                          While it's great to be able to set the number of keywords that appear, this alone doesn't help me locate something when I have hundreds of keywords.
                                          When you have this many keywords, it can be very difficult, not to mention overwhelming, to find what you're looking for. It would be much easier to find specific keywords if we have the option to…

12 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            0 comments  ·  Image Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base