SmugMug

Welcome to SmugMug’s official Feature Request page. Got suggestions or feature requests? We want to hear from you!

If you’re looking for support or help, please email our Support Heroes at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new.

Before submitting a new idea please search through the existing ideas. If you find it, add your vote to let us know how badly you want the feature!

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. A customer support phone number.

for the ten years that you have not had a phone no. just think how many people have taken this. we like to spk to people as some find they cant type what they want to say.
    so pls get a phone line then i would use smugmug
    A customer support phone number. should be for all services

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      18 comments  ·  Help Pages/Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Better Guest Upload Help

Any chance you can create a technote that expands on Guest Upload. Your current docs are good, but they take the view point of a SmugMug user. I run my kid's school photo sharing site on Smug Mug and frequently ask other parents to upload photos from different events. I invariably get folks that have no clue on how to use your easy uploaders (HTML5, JAVA, Flash, Simple, etc).

Any chance you can create a technote the encapsulates the basics for guest uploaders? I usually go through the basics of use Chrome, click the upload link I send you, drag…

5 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Help Pages/Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Put video sharing instructions in the help section

Nowhere in the help section is an explanation that in order to share a video one must watch it until the end and then click on the Share button.

Using the Share->Get A Link button only gives a link to the thumbnail of the video without the ability to play the video.

5 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          2 comments  ·  Help Pages/Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Return to Home Buttom on Help Page

When you go to the Help Page...I have not seen any way for there to get back to page where you needed help with. You have to start all over - or hit the "back" button how many times needed. It there is a "return to smugmug" on the help interface, it is not visible to me.

5 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Help Pages/Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Update the Third Party tools page

The SmugMug website has a nice page listing third party tools and add-ons that work with SmugMug, here http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/84267-what-third-party-uploaders-downloads-migration-tools-and-utilities-are-available-

Or, rather, it appears to: the page clearly doesn't get updated or checked often enough, so the information on it is out of date; also, tbh, some of the sites and suppliers it links to are of dubious credibility.

For example, it lists exactly what I want: Smuggly, a SmugMug screensaver. But if I follow the link, it takes me to a site which (I think) used to be run by a couple of young programmers, though they have clearly got…

4 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Open new tab or window when clicking a link like 'Help' which leaves my site.

What happens now, when I click 'help' or any link that does not navigate within my website it causes the visitor/me to leave my site by over-writing the page they are on. Would really like SM to force a new page in a tab or window for external links. This way the visitor, or we the site owners do not loose where we are at or be forced to navigate back. I know enough to 'right-click' and cause a new tab or window, many web-surfing customers do not. I was always schooled in 'never cause your customer to leave your…

4 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • Have webinars for various time zones.

Schedule webinars so that people with 9-5's in ALL time zones get chances to participate in training. Archived just isn't the same.

3 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Create an info graphic that shows guests how to download an image to their computers. I have to explain it a lot!

Please consider making an info graphic that shows guests how to download an image to their computers. I have to explain it a lot! Trying to explain that they need to select a thumbnail -- so that it pops up in the main window and then mouse over it so that a fly in menu will appear -- then hunt for the folder icon -- so that they can download their image. It's confusing and intimidating in an email. Any thoughts on how to help me share this info -I shoot charity events and have to share the same thing…

2 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Help Pages/Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Information Page about Printing options for customers

It would be great to have some pages to show customers about print products of certain labs (in my case like this http://www.smugmug.com/prints/catalog/ABC#Loxley) showing various options with pictures so that they can see what's available.

I mean some way to at least include those pages (without our photographer prices exposed) or other product examples in our customized site or - even better - directly in the Prints area so that customer can see what he/she is ordering before putting it in the cart.

Basically I think it would help a lot if the customer is able to see a…

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • ... it needs to be clear (for some help pages at least) which types of accounts the information pertains to. This could be done by a little

... it needs to be clear (for some help pages at least) which types of accounts the information pertains to. This could be done by a little tag at the top (“This page relates to ‘all accounts’ or ‘portfolio and business’ accounts only.

E.g., when it comes to selling photos

feedback categories needs to also have "help"

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Have a help section for home users who just want to set up a family site.

I tried several times to set up a smugmug site. I am a hobby Mum photographer. Now archiving my family's photo collection with a scanner.

I could not get my site up and running until I found the www.photographyontheside.com tutorial where an individual has set up a series of videos showing how to set up a website using the Ludwig theme.

It is very helpful however it is for a site where a photographer wants maximum visibility and to sell his photos. Also it is slightly out of date as changes have been made to smugmug.

I think smumug should…

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • MINIMIZE ZOOM-IN AND ZOOM-OUT ON TUTORIALS

The how-to tutorials are a big help and generally well done. However, one big complaint I have - and the 'Organizer' tutorial is a good example - is the constant zooming in and out, scrolling up and down, left and right - I feel like I'm watching a tennis match.

For the most part, just show the **** screen and use the green arrows or hi-lited text or some other technique but for crying out loud, quit the ridiculous back and forth up and down zooming!

(And go slow - 'fast' is bad when someone is new to a topic.)

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • document the new designs properly

need documentation on new themes
                            I've been a SmugMug customer for several years. I used to recommend SmugMug to others who needed reliable photo storage. I have not recommended SmugMug since the new SmugMug was rolled out. I now add very little content to my SmugMug site.

I have tried the preview of new designs several times. I am never able to understand what's involved in the different designs. I see thumbnails with different picturews in each one. Am I choosing between layout methods? Are some designs displaying a thumbnail for each category and other designs showing a thumbnail per…

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Make a video to show our clients how to order on the new website

Please make a video to show our clients how to order using the new site. I get emails from every single one of my clients asking for help with their ordering. I've always had this problem with Smugmug and I always wind up spending an inordinate amount of time explaining the ordering process to them. I even went so far as to create my own video to show clients how to order. Unfortunately, that effort was wasted when you re-designed the site a few months later.

I can create one, but it's a lot of work for me. If I…

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • have simple written instructions for groups to upload their photos to your site

We had many photographers at an event (mostly senior citizens) and photos were taken with cameras as well as I-phones. Recommend you have an area where I could right click/copy instructions to send to them in an email. I am a pro account holder.ORVIS88TEAM

1 vote
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • have directions for Fatcow domain CNAME edit

You can follow these steps to edit the CNAMZE:

Sacheen M: 1. Log into the control panel with the account username and password.

Sacheen M: 2. Click on ‘Domain Central’ under the ‘Domain’ section.

Sacheen M: 3. Click on the domain name for which you want to manage the CNAME records.

Sacheen M: 4. Click on ‘DNS’.

Sacheen M: 5. Select the option ‘CNAME Alias’ from the ‘Modify’ dropdown menu.

Sacheen M: 6. To add new CNAME, enter the host name and destination and click on the ‘Add’ button.

Sacheen M: 7. To edit the existing CNAME, select ‘Edit’ from…

1 vote
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • 1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      2 comments  ·  Help Pages/Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      Anne BeanAnne Bean responded

Thanks for clarifying, and for the feedback.

• Make Help pages into a print version.

I like to print out the help pages so I don't have to keep going back to the help menu. Currently Smugmug will only print the first page of mutiply page help instructions. I suggest that each page have a print version button on it so it can be printed fully.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        3 comments  ·  Help Pages/Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Create downloadable tutorials for Pros to EASILY show clients how to use the galleries.

I spend a tremendous amount of time explaining to my clients how to use the galleries, i.e., how to download images.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          1 comment  ·  Help Pages/Documentation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Update the instruction about Smugmug will not work on 1&1 domains

It is working with 1&1 domains since 1&1 just updated their domain dns setting features.
                                          Cname will work with 1&1 domains, specially cname from smugmug.
                                          Here is the trick,
                                          1. Log in to you 1&1 control panel and go to manage domains to start working on your domain.
                                          2. Click create subdomain and put WWW ( so your subdomain will be like this ''www.yourdomain.com''; )
                                          3. On your domain look for the option 'Manage Subdomains'
                                          4. Put a check on your domain and select on the drop down option above 'Edit DNS Settings'
                                          5. On the DNS settings…

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base