SmugMug

Welcome to SmugMug’s official Feature Request page. Got suggestions or feature requests? We want to hear from you!

If you’re looking for support or help, please email our Support Heroes at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new.

Before submitting a new idea please search through the existing ideas. If you find it, add your vote to let us know how badly you want the feature!

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow lowercase URL on custom domains

Currently if one of my clients types in an gallery URL they get a 404 page unless I explain to them that the address contains Capital Letters and where they are.

It would be great if my smugmug site could work like the rest of the internet and allow me to have all lowercase within the URL.

It's a little embarrassing to get calls saying the address doesn't work after my clients have passed on the address!

[Update]: This request is not for the domain name (www.InsertDomainNameHERE.com) to be lowercase, but rather that the gallery / folder names…

57 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      17 comments  ·  xxSite Organization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Easier view of 'date taken' information.

I have many, many, years worth of pictures that I am uploading so the 'date taken' of a picture is very important. I would like for the 'date taken' information to be visible somehow (other than having to open a photo and then go into the information tab) something similar to iPhoto. If you hover over a gallery in iPhoto, the date appears. I do not want to have to enter all the dates manually, like suggested by Smugmug Help. I know you can date an entire batch, but if you have many different years of pictures in one gallery…

41 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        8 comments  ·  xxSite Organization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Allow duplicate galleries to preserve formatting.

I am using the same exact galleries for a new year. I want to keep the old gallery organization, and just make a duplicate, delete the old photos, and update the title to reflect the new year.
        This would save me tons of time so that I wouldn't have to recreate the guest upload links and I would just archive the old galleries.

18 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          6 comments  ·  xxSite Organization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • A trash/recycle bin for deleted photos

A helpful feature would be a trash/recycle bin for deleted photos. If we accidentally delete a photo or a gallery, we could go to the trash/recycle bin and retrieve them within a given time period, perhaps 30 days.

14 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  xxSite Organization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Let us decide which photos should be pins on My Homepage map

Almost all of my photos are equipped with GPS data in EXIF block. I have only few galleries but it’s more than 150 photos. But only 150 pins may be shown on My Homepage map. It’s one or two galleries. I can pick a photo which will be a gallery feature photo. Please let us pick photos for My Homepage map.

12 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  xxSite Organization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • add a link back to site's homepage on search results page

When searching through a site and looking at search results, there is no way to get back to the actual website. (At least for basic account websites).
              There's always the link back to www.smugmug.com but there's no link to mywebsite.smugmug.com

=> Please add a link on the search results page to browse back the the website being searched.

Right now you have to click on a search result which opens a lightbox inside a certain gallery; close the lightbox; then click on the little "home" icon in the breadcrumb bar of that gallery. There should be a breadcrumb bar on…

11 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                1 comment  ·  xxSite Organization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • stack variations of images

Say I've got three versions of the same image, black & white, sepia, and color. I'd like to be able to stack them together. Then the image would appear once in the gallery, and then you'd have a slider/menu/buttons on the side to show the variations of the image.

10 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Ability to scope "Most Popular" and "Recent Photos" to certain galleries

"Most Popular" and "Recent Photos" should have the ability to limit the scope to certain galleries and not just globally. It would be nice to have these designations for different sections of my site.

9 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Give photographers and clients the ability to create and name folders for collecting images in different ways.

Photographer and clients like to create different collections of images beyond just favorites. These might include "photographer favorites","photos for the album", "photos I want to print as gifts" and "please remove these (aka that isn't his wife). This is available on many consumer level services and would be very helpful for wedding and other event photographers.

8 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Allow us to save navigation menus

With the new release if we make a menu with all our links that we want and then decide to change to another layout our menu is lost and we have to recreate it.

7 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        2 comments  ·  xxSite Organization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • highlight view of best photos in an album

I often have to choose between creating documentary-style albums and creating more professional-looking "highlight" albums. Obviously, it's possible (but messy) to make two separate albums to serve these different purposes. A better solution would be to allow an album to be displayed in one of two modes: "Highlights" and "View All." "Highlights" would allow casual browsers to look through only the best photos of an album (as selected by the album owner), while "View All" would give people with a particular interest in the album content the option to look through every photo I uploaded.

5 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Display most popular photos "this week/month"

Essentially, photo popularity should be a dynamic group based on a slice of time (most popular this month, most popular this year, most popular of all time, etc.) because otherwise the most popular photos will always be the ones that have been posted the longest and have had the most time to gather "thumbs up" feedback. I would love to see a Settings option to choose my "Most Popular Photos" by a block of time...something like "Show Most Popular Photos in last Week/Month/Year/Date Range".

5 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Enable alternate names for standard category names

I'd like to be able to use my own alternative names for some standard categories, but still enable visitors to SmugMug to find images or categories under the standard category names.

For example, I name "Sports" categories as "Sport", because the category title "Sports" looks daft on my site in this part of the world. I use "Aircraft" instead of "Airplanes" for the much the same reason.

However, because "Sport" and "Aircraft" are my own category names, no one browsing the "Sports" category will ever see my "Sport" images, nor will an Airplanes" browser ever see my "Aircraft" images and…

5 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Allow grouped gallery viewers to exit a gallery back to the grouped gallery list

If a sharegroup has many grouped galleries, SmugMug does not allow sharegroup viewers to exit a gallery to return to the sharegroup "home" listing of grouped galleries so that they can view another gallery. You can turn HIDE OWNER off, but technically-challenged viewers would still not understand how to click on the upper left corner to exit back to sharegroup listing.

4 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Add a delete button in the Shared Emails Account Settings

I have a list of numerous (228) emails that I have sent to friends and clients, too many. Currently there is no mechanism in place to delete some of those emails. Please update the SmugMug website by adding a way to delete some or all of those email. Thank you.

4 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Display all the galleries a photo appears on

Sometimes a photo appears in several galleries however there is no way of knowing in which galleries a photo is displayed. Please allow photographers to check easily the galleries a photo gets displayed in.

4 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • It might be an idea at your end to print according to delivery location? If in Europe print there, if in US print there, thus reducing costs

It might be an idea at your end to print according to delivery location? If in Europe print there, if in US print there, thus reducing shipping costs. Happier customers!

4 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • 4 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        3 comments  ·  xxSite Organization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Enable changes for whole site in stead of Gallery

For some features It’s necessary to adjust each individual gallery. With lots of galleries this is a lot of (error-prone!) work.
                                        Examples:
                                        - try to right-click protect your whole site
                                        - try to remove all keywords
                                        - etc.
                                        I would like the option to do this site wide!

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Site navigation top menu name seperate from sub menu names

The top menu name now shows up at the first sub menu choice when the menu group expands. Assume the top menu is calléd 'Interesting' and the sub menu items are 'Websites', 'Books' and 'Magazines' then it shows four sub menu items, including 'Interesting'. I would like to have the option to set the top menu name as 'group name' and not showing in het expanded sub menu items list.

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base