SmugMug

Welcome to SmugMug’s official Feature Request page. Got suggestions or feature requests? We want to hear from you!

If you’re looking for support or help, please email our Support Heroes at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new.

Before submitting a new idea please search through the existing ideas. If you find it, add your vote to let us know how badly you want the feature!

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. customer email branding for pros

when my customers place orders have the email confirmations look like its from the photographer without all the smugmug branding

660 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      41 comments  ·  xxGeneral Pro  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

While I agree that we need to add the ability for you to brand your client emails I do want to touch on one aspect of this request that a number of people have requested.

We hate that we have to put our ugly SmugMug disclaimer on the bottom of every email. We want to get rid of it, unfortunately, we’re required to put that there by law. Both US and Canadian law require that any commercial company (aka SmugMug) sending an email MUST include text that indicates it originated from us, how to stop being contacted, and how to reach us. This effects all of our competitors as well. There are, however, some things that I think could be done in the future to mitigate this. We could make the text much smaller, for example.

• Email templates to send notifications to clients

I would really like to see a way to build email templates through my smugmug account. Be able to create a logo header, body text and my contact info for several scenarios though my client's process. With this, create an address/email database to easily contact customers through.

Basically it'd be nice to have premade custom templates to send for "Thanks for contacting...", "Your gallery is ready, here's your password", "Thanks for ordering", "Your order has shipped"... coming directly from ME and branded to my stuff rather than a generic smugmug email.

I know I can do this through my gmail…

137 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        11 comments  ·  xxGeneral Pro  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Give us the possibility to download entire galleries with watermarks and original filenames

This would save so much time when I burn CDs for customers. I always give them the entire SmugMug gallery, but with watermarks. This is helpful in case they decide weeks or years later to purchase additional photos. I have the freedom this way to move or delete their SmugMug gallery after I've burned everything to CD for the customer.

As it is now, the downloading feature strips the watermark ... I'm only downloading things the customer has not yet purchased, so I don't want to lose the watermark.

96 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          12 comments  ·  xxGeneral Pro  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Make Pro Payment Payouts In Real Time

It would be nice if sales payments to pro subscribers were sent out in reall time and direct deposited into our bank accounts or paypal accounts instead of having to wait a month for our money. Even byweekly would be nice.

88 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            9 comments  ·  xxGeneral Pro  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • add create a client booking calendar to show my availability

I would like to put a visible calendar on my page showing which days I am booked so when a client is looking at my website they can see what would work for them.

To make it more extensive... it'd be nice to be able for a client to "request a booking" through there to send me an email booking request. I can accept/decline/reschedule and have communication with them from there.

82 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
            • Allow customers to heart their favorites from mobile devices and tablets!

Allow customers to heart their favorites from mobile devices and tablets!

75 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                Planned  ·  5 comments  ·  xxGeneral Pro  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Complete photo ranking/picking for Pro user/client: allow rank/sort/filter to focus on best images

As a pro user, many times I need to be able to have the client make "picks" (like in Lightroom) and then to rank them with the star system - again, a 5 point or "star" rating would be best. The key added feature being allowing me to rank/sort/filter the resulting portfolio and focus only on the photos that the client considers the best. (Potentially suppressing/deleting the rest.)

What Smugmug has is a beginning with the thumbs and comment ranks, but neither the client nor I can sort or filter the portfolio based on the result. Also, I find that…

56 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  12 comments  ·  xxGeneral Pro  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Ask for first and last name in password request email (Ack, I need a password)

I love the functionality but I have one pet peeve with this email. Please add a line that includes the name of the person requesting the password and make them fill it out.

I get password emails from people whose email address gives me no clue who they are. This makes it very difficult to figure out whether they should have access to the gallery.

Make the first line your name (First and last) and then leave the second line the email address. Place the name in the email.

46 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Turn Smugmug into a fullblown CMS for Pro's

Why do I still need separate solutions to complete my website when SmugMug already covers 75% of what I need?

So what additions would I like to see?

1. Ability to have plain web pages, not connected to any gallery, for information and marketing purposes.

2. A Wiki or Blog construction would also be nice to replace textbook material and release tips & trics for my students and followers.

3. An event calender would be nice. I organize quite a number of courses, workshops, trips and shoots which I like to market.

4. Form generator: so I can create forms…

45 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      1 comment  ·  xxGeneral Pro  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • allow different sales tax rates

Our state requires sales tax to be the delivery destination rate. We have numerous variable local rates, so the rate needs to be the fixed state rate + local variable rate. Thanks

40 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        6 comments  ·  xxGeneral Pro  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Add the ability to send CONTRACTS and INVOICES to clients

Having the ability to send our clients contracts and invoices and have the sign and book would make SmugMug the TOTAL & COMPLETE photography solutions.

22 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          0 comments  ·  xxGeneral Pro  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Client Access Code to Access Specific Galleries

Allow us to put access codes on our galleries. As an event photographer, I could give people cards with the special access code. When they visit my site, go to 'client access', enter their code, go directly to that gallery.

For one, it saves us from having to get their emails and second, they don't have to sign up for another account.

14 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Implement a pay what you want system for downloads and prints

I'd like to see a pay what you want system for downloads and prints. Have the user be able to select how much they want to pay for downloads - from zero to whatever and the ability to select how much they want to pay for prints - from 'at cost' to whatever mark-up. Also, it would be nice to have a charity component in there where there is an option for the account owner to set up a link to a charity the money will be given to - SmugMug can partner with a few major ones to make…

12 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Offer wedding album proofing.

Please add a place to post album spreads for client review/feedback.

12 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                2 comments  ·  xxGeneral Pro  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Allow pro users to have a separate Smugmug site for their non-business photos

It would be nice to have a separate Smugmug site for my personal photos, to keep them separate from business photos.

For example, my child's birthday party photos that I post for friends and family to see aren't really relevant to the ones I'd like to sell to people. I would like to be able to keep them separate from the business part of my site, without having to buy a second account.

It would be great if it had the features of a power-user account, so that I could keep a custom domain name to point to them. I…

11 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  2 comments  ·  xxGeneral Pro  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Streamlines Sales Tax Support

It would be nice (if not legally required) if SmugMug would support the Streamlined Sales Tax system.

After talking to the local tax auditor about how I should be collecting sales tax, I was informed point blank that I don't need to collect tax. As the seller, the state requires SmugMug to do all tax collection and remission.

It appears that because I produce the product that SM is selling and am a 1099 employee of SmugMug and do my work in my state, they have a physical presence in my state. (And if this is not the case them…

9 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    3 comments  ·  xxGeneral Pro  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • 9 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      3 comments  ·  xxGeneral Pro  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Show a gallery count with the default price lists

When using price lists, a gallery count is given for every price list excluding the default price list. It should be on all.

8 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • let pro accounts be able to offer free shipping on certain albums with no coupon.

I shoot school photos. Families go online and place their orders there - Everyone forgets to enter the coupon code for free shipping and then I'm writing a bunch of $2 - $4 checks... The orders come to me and then I put my branding on them and deliver them to the school. I'll gladly eat that shipping charge for all the other conveniences of SmugMug. After last year, I'm trying to decide if I should continue doing them online - half the people still haven't cashed their $2 check! I'm sure they thought it was silly. Please - let…

8 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Associates/Sales Tracking Code for Websites & Reps

Two types of implementation. One for websites linking to work that want to earn a commission from sales they generate and another for reps selling directly to customers but who will ultimately order through the site and could enter a code so the rep gets credit for the sale.

7 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base