SmugMug

Welcome to SmugMug’s official Feature Request page. Got suggestions or feature requests? We want to hear from you!

If you’re looking for support or help, please email our Support Heroes at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new.

Before submitting a new idea please search through the existing ideas. If you find it, add your vote to let us know how badly you want the feature!

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. FTP Uploading

We've all used the various uploaders that are available. And all of us have had an instance where an uploader doesn't work, or suddenly stops working, thereby disrupting our entire workflow.

Transferring files over the Internet isn't rocket science. In fact there's a special protocol for it--the File Transfer Protocol, or FTP for short. FTP is much more robust than http for sending files. It is cross-platform and supports almost every computing device out there, new and old. This way, the only time uploading stops working is when something is broken at SM, not when some code on a third…

1,523 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      173 comments  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Improve SmugMug integration with Apple Photos

*ADMIN NOTE 2/11/15 - merging multiple requests into one. All requests can be viewed below.*

ORIGINAL REQUEST
      ------------------------------
      your company is innovative, responsive and you make your product/service very easy to use at a good value.

any plans to provide better integration with IOS and Mac ? I would suspect much of your user base are heavy apple users.

just curious

MERGED REQUESTS

Have a function for Apple users so that an album can be uploaded directly from iPhoto while maintaining photo order and captions. It should not be necessary to purchase 3rd-party apps to do this.

Create…

513 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        50 comments  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Support rotating 360 degree or spherical panoramas

There are a few websites that allow uploading 360 degree or spherical panoramas. I'd really like to have them on smugmug! Ideally the possibility of uploading interactive panoramas created for Flash and java viewers, or even better, a smugmug viewer with smugmug quality (a dream!) and all we need to upload is a seamless 360 degree .jpeg file...

324 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          58 comments  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Support hosting of Raw files without using SmugMug Vault

We are allowed to upload Movie files up to 1GB in size, so aren't Raw files allowed to be hosted for free? SmugMug is known for your photo services, so I believe raw support should be offered before movie support.

156 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            26 comments  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Auto-upload from a watched folder

I would love to be able to monitor a folder that would auto upload photos into a private gallery with that folders name as the gallery title. Easy online photo backup.

123 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              18 comments  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • support non-image files to be uploaded such as PDFs.

Manually attaching meta-data to many individual images and /or larger sets of written data does not always work. Sometimes too much or too tedious. For example, when the images constitute the related content for instructions, history or other written material. Or when there is pure data (e.g. statistics, measurements) that should accompany the images.

106 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                15 comments  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Upload Folders and have Hierarchy Automatically Created

Drag and Drop Folders of Pics into a folder Would SAVE ME HOURS A DAY!

Right now trying to drop a folder into the uploader results in a "File type not supported" error. It should recognize the items inside the folder and begin uploading those, creating galleries based on those folders.

Ideally you could drop a folder into a SmugMug Folder and have it launch the uploader, like the new gallery drag/drop does.

Ability to upload an entire folder hierarchy of folders and photos/videos with preset settings for folders and galleries that would apply to entire hierarchy. Would save a…

86 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  14 comments  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Allowing you to get your photos onto SmugMug is one of the most critical aspects of our product. We’re gathering info on this. Please continue to add support to this feature request if you’d like to see it happen!

• Upload sound files

Enable sound file uploading. Mp3, mp4, ogg, and wav files.

I keep a couple albums of my daughter growing up. It includes pictures, video clips, and simple sound clips.

81 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    12 comments  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • support the m2TS Sony HD Video format

All new SONY HD Camcorders saves files in the m2ts format. SmugMug should allow us to upload this without first requiring a conversion.

81 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      15 comments  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Automatically convert TIFF to high-quality JPEGs

[Admin update 4/7/15: merged duplicate requests and votes for TIFF support]

We have a mixture of TIFF and JPEG images and don't always save a JPEG copy of the the TIFF files.

I don't want to have to convert my TIFF images to JPEGS before uploading and would love if this could be done automatically.

----------

We would like to be able to upload CMYK TIFFs to site. Som eof our clients will print or buy directly but do not want to convert back from RGB JPEG to CMYK TIFF. The RGB JPEG is also greatly reduced in size which…

74 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        17 comments  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • increase photo file size limits to keep up with new cameras and print sizes

**ADMIN NOTE 3/16/15: Merged duplicate requests**

About a year ago, you folks increased the file size limit on photo uploads from 24mb to 50mb to accommodate images created with newer higher resolution cameras and/or those created with panoramic stitching software.

This was helpful, thank you, but it's no longer nearly enough for two reasons:

1) Cameras continue to increase in sensor resolution; e.g., I'm now creating multi-row panoramas with the new Sony RX-1, a compact camera with a full frame sensor. Each image captured by this little beast is 24mp and since I'm stitching multiple views together, I'm routinely producing…

60 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          7 comments  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If we increased the limits to allow printing on a 43″×96″ MetalPrint, the resulting image will be less than 200 megapixels. Since we have no way of displaying (well) large pano’s at this time, the intent of the large files would be for printing purposes. The limits could be raised to support these 43×96″ prints. Something in the 100-150mb and 200 megapixel range should work for these prints.

• Give the option of replacing metadata when replacing a photo.

Currently, SmugMug does not overwrite the metadata for a photo when you use the replace function. I have been informed by a hero that this is by design.

We should have the option of choosing whether or whether not to replace the metadata.

All sorts of headaches regarding sorting photos by upload date or by any other metadata property would be reduced by this feature.

33 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            11 comments  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • Save updated Title, Caption and keyword data when downloading

When uploading files the Title, Caption and keyword fields are populated with the information from the EXIF fields (along with all of the metadata).

If I update any of the above three fields the information is only saved on the Sumgmug system.

Many hours are spent using Smugmug to organize and update the Title, Captions and keywords of pictures trusted with Smugmug. Please help us preserve the time spent.

Please provide an option when downloading the file to include the updated Title, Caption and keyword data.

24 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              5 comments  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Guest Uploading -- Add an "Upload Button" within galleries that allow Guest Uploading

Now that guest uploading is integrated, please allow an option to have a (potentially customizable) bold "Upload Button" that when clicked goes directly to the upload page for that gallery. This is easier than sending out an additional link to guests with instructions.

I designed one and made it the first image in my guest upload gallery:

http://galluzzovisuals.com/images/SHARE.jpg

It works well as a first image in lieu of a navigation button, I just wish it linked directly to the upload page (I added the upload link to the description as well as in the comments).

24 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                7 comments  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Don't forcibly convert all images to sRGB. If we post something in AdobeRGB maybe we have a reason.

I'm requesting that you don't forcibly insist that you know better than the user and stop auto-converting all images to sRGB gamut. IMO it's never a good thing to ever decided you know better than the user.

Smugmug seems to mostly about giving everyone all the flexibility they could want and yet when it comes to gamut choice we are locked into sRGB.

I know you have a link extolling the reasons why sRGB is the only way to go. However, the link seems rather circa 2004 with talk of the Canon 20D and **** color-managed browsers for Windows. It's…

23 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  4 comments  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Guest Uploading: provide list of Galleries for guest upload

Currently, you must enable Guest uploading in each gallery, and it provides a Guest Upload URL for each. However, when you have multiple galleries, its a pain to send out a long list of URLs for guests to upload to. For Example:

Soccer Games:
                                  Game1: www/smugmug.com/soccergames/HYdke/upload
                                  Game2: www/smugmug.com/soccergames/ksIDe/upload
                                  Game3: www/smugmug.com/soccergames/oSLWm/upload

Instead, I would like a URL that is for the Gallery category, and then the Guest Upload includes a drop down list of all the Games that can be uploaded to.

22 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    1 comment  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                  • Guest Uploading -- Allow video upload from iPhone with guest upload link.

When I use the guest uploading link in the browser on the iphone I can't upload any videos. All videos have been filtered out of my camera roll and other photo albums. I've even tried using many other browsers on the iPhone and the result is the same. On an Android phone it allows me to upload videos with the guest upload link.

21 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      3 comments  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Post To SmugMug From Posterous

I would like to have the ability to post to my SmugMug account from posterous. Currently I can upload my photos to Flickr and to Picasa but not SmugMug (which is the site I much prefer over the other two).

21 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        3 comments  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • darktable export plugin

Plugin to support uploading directly from smugmug.

20 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          2 comments  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • add "replace on conflict" option to MacDaddy

Right now, if I want "replace on name conflict" I need to upload through the simple web interface. It would be nice if MacDaddy had the same option, since it apparently exists in the back-end.

19 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            4 comments  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base