SmugMug

Welcome to SmugMug’s official Feature Request page. Got suggestions or feature requests? We want to hear from you!

If you’re looking for support or help, please email our Support Heroes at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new.

Before submitting a new idea please search through the existing ideas. If you find it, add your vote to let us know how badly you want the feature!

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Use a more discrete icon/badge for private galleries

I am using Smugmug in a personal "lockdown" mode where each and every gallery is private. Unfortunately this means that I see the "Private" badge in the center of each gallery thumbnail. Not very pretty and kind of distracting...
    I understand that this kind of information is essential and must be displayed, but maybe you can come up with a more discrete style (like a lock symbol in one of the corners, for example).
    Thanks for the great work! Best

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Site Look & Feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Get rid of the need to use Adobe Flash

Time to eliminate Adobe Flash eh? Especially given mid June warnings!

179 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        15 comments  ·  Site Look & Feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • implement a "Magic zoom" by magictoolbox, feature (or similar ) into you viewing options. It provides smaller samples - harder to copy

I feel it would be good if SM implemented a feature into their viewing options like "Magic zoom" by magictoolbox.
        This allows small high-res samples making it harder to copy yet easier for users to see the quality of the photo they may wish to buy.

Perhaps a premium option??

Please . . .

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • change to black text on white background in the organize, content update pages, etc. etc.

i hate working on the black backgrounds and white text. Really difficult to read, especially if your eyesight isn't perfect. Puts me off so much it's taken me two years to start really customizing my site.

8 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            1 comment  ·  Site Look & Feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Add a displayable 'folder description' to folders

We badly need a 'description' field in Folders to provide summary information to viewers.

The workaround - to customise each folder with a text content block - is simply not workable for sites with many folders as it's a lot of work, and risks breaking the uniform look and feel.

This is one feature which is edging me back to Zenfolio... Please please add this feature.

145 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              Planned  ·  27 comments  ·  Site Look & Feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Show new photos with a 'New Addition' icon or something similar

Would be nice to show New photos with a piece of text or icon indicating it is a new image added within the last 15 days.

1 vote
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
              • visually distinguish folders and galleries

I would like the theme or display options to allow clearer distinction between folders and galleries. For example, a little yellow icon (for Windows users), or a colored border of the thumbnail, rounded corners, different colored font - any one of these would help distinguish a folder from a gallery. I have a lot of folders and galleries, and it gets confusing.

I have changed the thumbnail and font size, pixel spacing etc. to be different between galleries and folders, but in the ISIS theme at least they still look similar, especially to visitors.

2 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Parallax backgrounds

this would add some WOW factor to the pages for those who choose to go this route. I've seen examples of SM pages where parallax was implemented by the users via coding but most people dont posses that level of knowledge. i copied the code to my page and it broke the ability to edit said page, i had to delete the entire page after adding this code.

10 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                  • Consistently have a "bread crumb" navigation while browsing Folders and Galleries on EVERY page.

Bread crumbs to know where you are in your folder/gallery structure and be able to move up/down the "tree" with a single click is really handy.
                    Unfortunately, this handy feature does not show up on every page and if you have a Basic subscription, you cannot add one.

1 vote
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Revised Lightbox layout for title and captions

Currently, the lightbox organization has the title and caption hidden on the bottom left of the lightbox, with popup options, scrolling, and other fairly ugly features. In its coding, this title and caption area is in the same horizontal "block" that the Buy button, Share button, Tools button, etc. are in, which makes any CSS customization nearly impossible. It also makes vertical separation of the lightbox tools panel and the title/caption basically impossible.

I would propose that the organization of the lightbox be altered slightly, allowing much easier customization and control of both the titles/captions and the lightbox tools panel.…

30 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        3 comments  ·  Site Look & Feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Make your responsive menu be the hamburger menu (3 horizontal bars in the top left corner)

Make your responsive menu (menu you see on mobile) be the standard hamburger design (3 horizontal bars in the top left corner). The way the menu is treated in the mobile view is not standard, confusing, and takes up unnecessary space - making the mobile experience sub-optimal.

13 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Add dynamic links to next and previous gallery

I'd like to see a site design option to insert a dynamic link visitors can click on to navigate to the next or previous photo gallery.

('Dynamic' meaning: when the link is inserted and applied to all galleries, the next page is directs to will automatically adjust depending on which gallery page you are currently on.)

I think this would make overall site navigation more user-friendly (rather than selecting galleries from a main menu, or returning to the homepage), and it encourages visitors to explore more photos.

Custom options would be needed to set the link to direct to either…

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • Add a 'Back to top' button on pages for easy and convenient browsing

A lot of website hosts have this features. It's really convenient and easy for the audience. Imagine you have a page with, say, 50 images and you scroll down to the bottom, now you have to scroll back up to the very top through all those images again. Please add the feature to allow viewers to just click a 'back to top' button. Thanks.

4 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • Dual language website

Please allow users to setup dual language websites.
                              the idea is to have one website, one set of images, but have an option to setup About, Contact and maybe gallery names in two languages. I'm not talking about Smugmug translating our websites, there was an idea like that. I'm talking about users being able to setup both language versions available at a switch of a button.

16 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Allow cover photo to shuffle

Is there a way to change, shuffle the cover photo on the Home page, like a different picture every login, or at set time intervals? It would be a really cool feature to cycle the cover photos with different pictures.

I see there's an option for this for the background, but not for the cover photo.
                                The background most likely is covered up by other contents so it's not so useful to shuffle it.

4 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Client Login screen should have a background picture from their gallery

Hi, when I send a gallery to a client, the home page where they are asked to enter the password, I should have an option to put one image from their gallery as the background image. This will give the feeling of a personalized website
                                  So every client login page would have a different image, from their own gallery.
                                  Thanks.
                                  -MP

50 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Allow "full site" in mobile phone

Old smugmug allowed me to access full site on my iPhone and do everything in this medium. I rarely use a PC. New smugmug doesn't seem to have this feature - I can't go to the "organize" screen on my mobile.

17 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Match the design of the shopping cart & checkout screen to that of the ordering process.

The ordering process is easy and beautiful but it is quite jarring going from ordering a print (or other product) to viewing the shopping cart. It looks terrible and outdated. The UI is completely different than the rest of the ordering process, and it's confusing our customers. I've had multiple clients mention this problem. The shopping cart should look and feel like the rest of the ordering process. The ordering process needs to be seamless.

22 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        2 comments  ·  Site Look & Feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • When viewing enlarged photo, have space options around image so it doesn't butt up against top browser.

Currently when you click on an image and it enlarges on your screen, it butts up against the top so that there is no border around it. Makes for uncomfortable viewing because it feels like you may be missing some of the image on the top. Instead the enlarged image should be say 90% size of the browser size, then centered v and h. That way the image is "framed" in by space before touching the browser bar.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • see all of a full sized image by holding down the left mouse button and pulling it around the image

I hate the scroll bars on the right hand side and bottom of full sized images. They are old fashioned and slow. On other sites you just hold down the right mouse button and quickly pull the mouse around the image to see different parts of a large image. Let's have this feature on SM.

1 vote
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base