SmugMug

Welcome to SmugMug’s official Feature Request page. Got suggestions or feature requests? We want to hear from you!

If you’re looking for support or help, please email our Support Heroes at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new.

Before submitting a new idea please search through the existing ideas. If you find it, add your vote to let us know how badly you want the feature!

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow mobile customization

Allow the customization, just to choose which categories/galleires show up in the mobile site, what links visitors can click on, etc. For anyone with serious customization on their regular site, the mobile site looks rather confusing at times.

Also adding the ability to change the color scheme to match the regular site, and maybe a small header would be ideal so that visitor recognize the site as the photographers and not as SmugMug's. Brand image is important to Pro's no matter where it is conveyed.

77 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      14 comments  ·  Site Look & Feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Update the hacks page!

help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/84267
      Update this page! help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/84267

1. Remove all that are no longer working / have issues
      2. Add new sources
      3. Consider building some in house for most popular methods. Maybe a little 80/20 time with your dev team

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Apps & Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! We recently went through and removed any apps/integrations that were obviously not working and we’ve made it part of our internal process to review and update that page more frequently. New sources are added whenever the developers behind them reach out to us and ask to be advertised on our page.

• Allow one-click adding of capition and keywords

In legacy smugmug under the photo you were able to click to add captions or keywords to single photos, however now you have to click the wrench, then edit photo properties then add captions/keywords there. I think it should be as before where it shows nothing to viewers, if there are no capitons and keywords, but logged in, we can just "click Here" to add captions and keywords.

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Allow us the ability to delete more than one gallery at a time!

As big and as awesome as Smug is, the fact that we still have to delete galleries one at a time is amazingly archaic. I have 23 wedding galleries to delete and it's a ridiculously time consuming process. How is it that with all the changes you've been making this is not at the top of the list, or near it???

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Now that we’ve fully switched to our New SmugMug platform and categories/subcategories have become folders, this process is not only possible, it’s a piece of cake! In our Organizer interface you can select multiple galleries or an entire folder and delete them. Just make sure you’re careful! :)

• Easier way to create subcategories

It is currently quite annoying to add a new sub-category without first adding a new gallery (without using LightRoom plugin). It would be great if we could add a new sub category from any menu that includes that (like gallery settings), so we can move galleries around a bit more efficiently.

2 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Now that we’ve fully switched to our New SmugMug platform and categories/subcategories have become folders, this process is not only possible, it’s a piece of cake! Our Organizer interface makes it easy to create folders with a few clicks and without needing to add galleries.

• Advanced Site-wide Customization

Currently on the "Advanced Site-wide Customization" page, You have to scroll to the very bottom of the page to apply your customization's. Would it be possible to add the "Update" "email" and "submit" buttons to the top of the page as well. Or better yet Have those buttons float at the bottom of the screen, no matter where you are on the page.

~Mark
              mark4pics.com

3 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

Good news! Now that we’ve fully converted to our New SmugMug interface, we made sure that the buttons to preview/save your customizations are always accessible at the top of the Customizer.

• 1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  0 comments  ·  Site Organization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • categories are private (hidden) or live

A good suggestion would be that we could mark categories are private (hidden) or live

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Site Organization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Since we’ve fully moved over to our New SmugMug platform and converted categories into Folders, you can set them up with all of the same visibility/accessibility options that you can with a gallery (which includes marking them as private).

• be able to choose to display galleries AND folders on the home page

On the home page, I would like to be able to have some galleries listed individually and some in folders. For example: My family and friends can be listed in a folder. But for Portraits, I would prefer to have them listed in galleries on the home page.

I know I can feature 4 galleries. But that doesn't work at all for me.

13 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      4 comments  ·  Site Organization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Good news! Since we updated everyone to our New SmugMug interface earlier this year, you have much more flexibility about how things are displayed on your homepage. You can choose different combinations of folders and galleries to appear depending on exactly what you want your visitors to see.
                      Customization is a big topic, but you can use this help page as a point to help get started: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/articles/1210651

• allow hiding of photos also in the Organize Site view. Currently, I go to this view to sort, then I need to go back to the gallery to hide/u

Allow hiding of photos also in the Organize Site view. Currently, I go to this view to sort, then I need to go back to the gallery to hide/unhide.

1 vote
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        0 comments  ·  Organizer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

If you have one or more photos selected in the Organizer you can find the hide/unhide option under the tool menu (which lives under the wrench icon in the main tool bar). You could also double click on an image from Organizer to open it in in the lightbox and hide/unhide the photo from the tool menu there.

• Straighten photos

I would love for you to add the ability to straighten a photo within the SmugMug website instead of having to use Picnik or Photoshop. It would save SO much time in editing photos. Thanks!

3 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          1 comment  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • You cant delete a gallery without having to add a photo first !!

Problem: You can't delete a gallery if there are no photos in it ! Should be able to delete a gallery if there are no photos in it.

3 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            Completed  ·  3 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                          • 239 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              35 comments  ·  Site Organization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Quick Settings can be deleted after they are selected in Gallery Settings. Thanks for the feedback.

We have some ideas for dramatically improving the feature to make it easier to create, manage, and apply them. Stay tuned!

• Have an option to overwrite duplicate filenames when uploading

All operating systems that have copy or move features for files, have the option of overwriting duplicates. Smugmug has the "skip duplicates" or the default of keeping both files, but doesn't have the overwrite feature (based on filename). That's relatively easy to implement and can greatly improve the experience for when someone's trying to add new images to a gallery and doesn't know which files have already been uploaded or not.

1 vote
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

There’s actually already an option in our uploader to “Replace Duplicates” (in the same drop down that defaults to skip duplicates). This does exactly what you’re asking – replaces the previously uploaded file if you’re uploading a new one with the same filename.

• would love to embed iDevice friendly HTML5 slideshows on my blog instead of Flash slideshows.

Would be great if you could provide us with the embeddable HTML5 code in addition to the flash code, since HTML5 is where things seem to be going, at least on smart phones, iPads and iDevices...

319 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  68 comments  ·  Social  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                • Restore the ability to collect "many photos" through the Organizer.

The old Gallery Tools gave us options for batch processing "many photos"--moving, editing cation/keyword, collecting etc. The new Organizer offers a lot of the functionality but omits collecting. Support tells me that photos now have to be collected one at a time through the Owner Share function. This is cumbersome.

19 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    2 comments  ·  Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We added in support for bulk collecting of photos in the Organizer a while back, so this request is complete! To collect photos in bulk, simply select multiple photos from one gallery and drag them to a new gallery in the Organizer’s navigational tree. Upon dropping the photos, you’ll be given a choice to move or collect them. Simply choose “collect.”

• Show location info and IPTC

When I hover over the photo and click on PHOTO INFO I get some EXIF data. I'd like to show additional information.

(For requests specifically to show Lens from EXIF data, see:
                                    http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/260749-include-lens-information-within-the-photo-info )

61 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      19 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Make the background completely dark when viewing individual photos in the thumbnails style (lightbox view).

In Thumbnails, after I click on the first photo, and then view photos with the forward and backward arrows, the thumbnails are still in the background. They are dim, but they are still very distracting. Please make the background completely dark.

3 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        1 comment  ·  Site Look & Feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Make the share button available in Lightbox mode

When one enters Lightbox mode from a gallery the buttons/links are: Sizes, Forward/Back buttons, Shopping cart, show details, Tweet, Facebook Share, Facebook like. It would be nice if there was the ability to also include the Share button so that I could just get a link I can paste into my blog or elsewhere. It currently requires me to go back to the main gallery and use share from there. Which is not necessarily hard but does seem an extra step that could easily be avoided.

3 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Site Organization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                        • Enhance the speed of the Lightbox! (Compare to "Impact")

Smugmugs lightbox is nice and beautiful. And it can be navigated using the keyboard. All of this is good.

The Problem with lightbox is the preceived lack of performance. The main problem is that when you advance to the next image, you have to wait until its loaded to advance again. The top toolbar is replaced with "Loading..." while this is going on.

PLEASE, drop the "Loading..." and let users click or use the keyboard to advance, even if the image is not yet loaded and shown! This would GREATLY improve usability and perceived performance. For example if a client…

7 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Site Look & Feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 37 38
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base