SmugMug

Welcome to SmugMug’s official Feature Request page. Got suggestions or feature requests? We want to hear from you!

If you’re looking for support or help, please email our Support Heroes at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new.

Before submitting a new idea please search through the existing ideas. If you find it, add your vote to let us know how badly you want the feature!

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. improve the gallery cover image feature so the position of the image can be adjusted

I recently started using the gallery cover image option. While I like this feature, it is cumbersome to use - I have to place several images before I find one that is positioned correctly and doesn't remove heads or other key subject elements. It would be great if I could simply adjust the photo vertically to place it in the optimal position. That's all. Facebook has this flexibility on cover photos and so should SmugMug. Thank you.

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      10 comments  ·  Gallery Look & Feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

You can now reposition the Gallery Cover Image. If we are able to detect a Point of Interest within the photo, we’ll automatically center it around that, otherwise you can manually move it up, down, left or right. Some photos will only be able to move up/down, and others only left/right depending on their aspect ratio.

• Password-protected folders with hidden public galleries

For more than a decade, Phanfare has had the ability to password protect a Folder (sub-site) while being able to publicly share hidden Galleries (albums). We know you can't give the Phanfare users you're inheriting everything they have, but this is a core feature that will be missed.

SmugMug FAQ
      Q: I want a Folder to be Private but a Gallery in it to be Public. Possible?
      A: Unfortunately not possible. If a Folder is Private, everything inside that Folder will also be Private. Unlike Unlisted Folders, Private folders can’t contain anything other than Private content.

1 vote
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
        0 comments  ·  Privacy & Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

On SmugMug you can have Public or Unlisted Galleries within a Folder, as long as the Folder isn’t “Private”.

In your example, you could set your Folder to either be Public (visible to all) or Unlisted (visible only when sent the exact link) AND password protected. The galleries inside it can be set to Public or Unlisted. If Public, you can send a visitor the link to the folder with the Folder Password and they’ll be able to view the Gallery (using the folder password). If Unlisted, you will have to send them the link to the gallery and they can access that gallery using the Folder Password.

• zip

The new "Download ZIP" template looks nice but it is DESPERATELY MISSING features we have previously requested and which then have been implemented. Why do we have to start over now? :-/

PRETTY PLEEZE (bring back):
        - Add the FILE SIZE of the zip file
        - Add the full link somewhere (so I can copy/paste into my own email to the client).
        - zip/link file name should include the gallery name

and if you can ADD:
        - ability to create these zip download files from our mobile apps!

:) THANK YOU

3 votes
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
          0 comments  ·  Downloading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Variable Slideshow speed on Apple TV App

Make it possible to adjust the speed of the slideshow on Smugmug's Apple TV App. It currently zooms through the gallery at high speed.

1 vote
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
            0 comments  ·  SmugMug Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Amazon Drive as upload source

I would like to be able to upload / import photos from Amazon Drive (formerly Amazon Cloud Drive).

3 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              Completed  ·  0 comments  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Mobile APP for each gallery to send our clients

It would be nice to be able to send our clients a APP once their gallery is done. That way they can easily share with friends and family.

27 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                4 comments  ·  Gallery Look & Feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Make custom URLs longer

Could we have the custom URLs longer and not cut off?

Most website hosts allow for full custom URL addresses for blogs etc but Smugmug cuts them off and they look a little silly

for example

www.bob.com/A-beautiful-day-at-wor

instead of

www.bob.com/A-beautiful-day-at-worthington-castle-2016

6 votes
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                  1 comment  ·  Customization  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                • Make upload via (Windows) desktop app available

Make upload via (Windows) desktop app available.

Some people just want to upload their photos for archiving purposes from their desktop and do not want to use lightroom or a mobiile.

1 vote
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    0 comments  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Option to disable downloading/sharing through SmugMug mobile app.

Currently, I believe all public galleries are subject to sharing by anyone logged into the Apps, even if sharing is turned off. This enables downloading and printing as well as social sharing. Reducing the size of the photos you display and watermarking can reduce the quality of the downloads, but I would prefer my potential customers see a large image. Also, I would prefer to control who obtains my images, and this is not currently possible. The option to turn off sharing through the mobile apps should be added.

9 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                      0 comments  ·  SmugMug Apps  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The iOS and Android apps now honor the “Download Buttons” setting in the gallery settings. If set to NO, then visitors cannot “Save to Camera Roll” (iOS) or “Save to Device” (Android) on a photo.

On iOS, if “Show Share Options” is disabled, sharing will not be enabled, except to open the photo in Safari.

• Randomize Photos in Externally Embedded Slideshows

With the old Flash slideshows, you could have an externally embedded slideshow display photos in a random order. This is not possible with current embedding code. Please bring this feature back as it causes slideshows on our websites and blogs to be incredibly monotonous and stale.

I added this as a new request because the old requests keep getting marked as completed due to there being the ability to randomize a content block slideshow on a SmugMug-based page. This needs to implemented for externally embeddable slideshows to be complete.

6 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                        1 comment  ·  Slideshow  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • Allow customers to heart their favorites from mobile devices and tablets!

Allow customers to heart their favorites from mobile devices and tablets!

76 votes
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                          6 comments  ·  Events  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Include printing on wood (maple) from Bay Photo.

Bay Photo is now printing on maple with 2 different print choices. These make for a sustainable media that enhances the photo.

1 vote
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                            0 comments  ·  Ordering/Products to Buy & Sell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re pleased to add Bay Photo Mid-Gloss MetalPrints, Metal Prints with an Acrylic Sheet, and Maple Wood Prints on a Natural finish. You’ll find these products can now be added to your Pricelist and priced accordingly. Make sure to open the Pricelist editor, find your Pricelist, click “Edit List”, and then “Choose Products”.

• Make it possible to remove several photos from a collection in the Organize feature

Removing images in a collection one by one is tedious when you have a lot to remove (but want to keep the rest). Selecting multiple images and removing then with one click in the organizer would be really nice.

3 votes
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                              1 comment  ·  Organizing & Curation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Sarah, thanks for submitting a request. Based on your description, I believe we already offer the functionality you’re looking for. Take a look at this help article: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1213254-what-is-the-organizer-?b_id=1644#bulk-tools.

When you’re in the Organizer, inside a gallery with collected photos, you can select multiple photos and then click the “trash can” in the toolbar to delete them all at once. You can do this with as many photos as you’d like, while still keeping some if you choose.

I hope that helps! If I’m not fully understanding your request, please let me know.

• Bay Photo's Metal Print Mid-Gloss finish

BayPhoto's newer "Mid-gloss" finish for metal prints is perfect! It has less reflection than Hi-gloss but more punch than Satin. It's my "go to" metal print finish. PLEASE offer it on SmugMug!
                              I did say please, didn't I?
                              Thank you!

11 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                                1 comment  ·  Ordering/Products to Buy & Sell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’re pleased to add Bay Photo Mid-Gloss MetalPrints, Metal Prints with an Acrylic Sheet, and Maple Wood Prints on a Natural finish. You’ll find these products can now be added to your Pricelist and priced accordingly. Make sure to open the Pricelist editor, find your Pricelist, click “Edit List”, and then “Choose Products”.

• Re-enable the old BBCode embeddable link options for sharing to on-line discussion forums. New ones don't work right.

The old-style embeddable links made sharing to on-line discussion forums easy, virtually one-click and then paste. The new URL system is a PITA for some forums, requiring extensive editing of the saved link every time. Please give us back the old sharing link choices.

20 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  12 comments  ·  Social & Sharing  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

BBCode options have been added back, similar to the HTML option.

This new version added:
                                  - Direct link to the photo (in lightbox)
                                  - Direct Gallery Link
                                  - Fullscreen Slideshow Link
                                  - BBCode
                                  - Left/right arrow keys to navigate between photos
                                  - Disable embed links to visitors (you don’t want them stealing your photos)
                                  - Other bug fixes

• Give us an option to make the "Buy" button less glaring

I know I can disable the "Buy" button altogether. But I'd like my friends to have the option to buy my photos if they so wish.

However, what I don't want is a big, gaudy, bright green button just above each of my photos. My photos might not be the greatest in the world, but having a big green splurge next to each one certainly doesn't help!

Could we have an option to show the Buy button discretely in a lower corner of the screen. In a colour that blends in harmoniously?

3 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    0 comments  ·  Gallery Look & Feel  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi John, thanks for your request! I asked one of our Support Heroes, Tristan, to reach out to you. We actually already offer a wide array of customization options for your site, including many ways to customize the “Buy” button. More functionality is available starting with our Power plan. Please let us know if you have any further questions!

• Please develop an app like sticky albums!

Please develop an app like sticky albums!

Thank you!

1 vote
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      0 comments  ·  Image Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • Make Smugglr support importing from a folder on my hard drive

So, if I have a folder of folders... which eventually contain photos, it would be great to point Smugglr at the top-level folder and have it create Folders and Galleries.

If the folder hierarchy is more than 2 deep, you could either reject, or have some default behavior based on appending names.

1 vote
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        0 comments  ·  Uploading  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                      • Image Sorting

Sorting images by time it was taken. This is an easy addition.

1 vote
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          0 comments  ·  Organizing & Curation  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Hi Evan, thanks for contacting us! I’m hoping you can clarify your request, as we already offer the ability to sort photos by “date taken.” You can find this option in the upper right of the Organizer, when viewing one of your galleries. You can read about this functionality in more detail, here: http://help.smugmug.com/customer/en/portal/articles/1213254-what-is-the-organizer-?b_id=1644#sort.

If you are requesting something different, can you please submit your request with more detail? Thanks!

• Private Sharing -- Increase the number of people we can invite using "People I Choose"

I'm astonished this isn't up here already... but I need more than 50 names for "people I choose" - I have a large family, and this is my "family and friends site" - I LOVE the idea of them having the galleries shared with them on their tablets, etc, but I've had to leave out a LOT of people to my page. For now, I'm hoping they don't notice, but my alternative of asking if they'd like access to my photos is in kind of poor taste :-/ (who's going to say "no"?!?)

If I was to put out a…

14 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                            5 comments  ·  Privacy & Security  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 37 38
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base