I suggest you ...

A Bulk Gallery Download button for my Visitors

[Admin update Jan 8, 2015: Merged multiple ideas. Including their text here]

We are run a underwear company and have several large fashion shoots each year. We shoot and retouch anywhere between 50-100 per shoot. Our clients do not want to click download 100 times. The inability to download entire gallery may be a deal breaker. As the owner of account I can download entire gallery. This should be an easy funtion to add to site?

---------

My *fantasy Bulk Download *looks like a button that shows up on every page of my private gallery where I have enabled the Bulk Download Feature on. The button says something like "download all photos in this gallery". And if they click it they get a message somehow that says something like: "great! i'm on it, it'll take a while and i'll send you a link when it's ready"

---------

I share quite a bit with family and friends, and it can get frustrating when someone puts up pictures you'd like to save to your computer or add to one of your albums (perhaps from the same event).

I propose one of two options: either a user-specific sharing system that allows specified SmugMug users to have full-download access to another user's gallery, or a simple on-off switch (in gallery settings) for full-download functionality.

As an example, a few of us go on vacation. We all have different cameras and upload pictures to our respective SmugMug pages. I would like my family/friends to see ALL the pictures from my trip regardless of who took them, but to download each photo one at a time from three other galleries gets quite tedious.

Similarly, I may want to put together an album (a real one, not digital) of all the photos from our trip. Again, bulk downloads would be great in this case.

-----

Recently I was sent a link to download all photos from a friends gallery online(using another service). It was great a straight forward as he sent me a link and a password and I downloaded all my images into a folder of choice. I really would appreciate something like this as well over the current download all method. where I must wait and forward a bunch of random links to my clients and the album names are randomly numbered

------

I provide visitors with password-protected access to galleries and allow them to download original size photos. This is time consuming to do one at a time. Others have requested a "download entire gallery" function for visitors, but I'd like to suggest a "Mark" feature which would be useful in several ways. Users would "Mark" photos as they are browsing, and then be able to take action on the Marked photos, such as Download All Marked, or Buy (if enabled) or Get Prints, etc.

----

Allow bulk download for visitors with owner specified max-allowed size and possibly custom renaming or keep the original naming.

1,328 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Trish TunneyTrish Tunney shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    CharleyCharley shared a merged idea: Allow client enhanced privileges to their gallery.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Ability for client to download entire gallery?  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: DOWNLOAD ALL high res files button. Option for clients only or multiple downloads.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Make it possible to download multiple selected pictures at one time (not just single picture or whole gallery).  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Let us download a Print Marked gallery!  ·   · 
    Karen AlexanderKaren Alexander shared a merged idea: Let users select multiple photos for download!  ·   · 
    SteveSteve shared a merged idea: Something in between "all or one" downloads  ·   · 
    Trevor GardinerTrevor Gardiner shared a merged idea: Enable selctive downloads from a Gallery  ·   · 
    NevNev shared a merged idea: client side full gallery download  ·   · 
    Emily MagersEmily Magers shared a merged idea: allow for easier downloading  ·   · 
    Lorne LevittLorne Levitt shared a merged idea: "download Gallery"  ·   · 
    Andy LiAndy Li shared a merged idea: Single click for entire download for clients who are viewing their gallery.  ·   · 
    YanYan shared a merged idea: Allow bulk download for visitors with owner specified max-allowed size and possibly custom renaming or keep the original naming.  ·   · 
    BrianBrian shared a merged idea: Have an option for Client to download ALL images in a galley instead of one by one,once a client has purchased all rights, this would ideal.  ·   · 
    Dieter KurtzDieter Kurtz shared a merged idea: Allow Download of All photos  ·   · 
    NigelNigel shared a merged idea: Ability of gallery viewers to download all images in one click  ·   · 
    Bruce MacdougallBruce Macdougall shared a merged idea: Need for better and consistent download tools (& Better File Management).  ·   · 
    Sten HartmanSten Hartman shared a merged idea: A better way to allow a client to download all pictures in a gallery  ·   · 
    Tonya SimpsonTonya Simpson shared a merged idea: more downloading  ·   · 
    RayRay shared a merged idea: allow multiple photo downloads  ·   · 
    Brandon MartinezBrandon Martinez shared a merged idea: "Download All" link for private galleries  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Allow "download all photos" option for any viewer I've shared the gallery with.  ·   · 
    MikeMike shared a merged idea: Make it easier to give hi-res downloads to clients! No more 7 zipped files in separate emails!  ·   · 
    Ed TEd T shared a merged idea: Include a 'download whole gallery' option for customers.  ·   · 
    mikemike shared a merged idea: set it up so clients could DL entire galleries  ·   · 
    Brad PriceBrad Price shared a merged idea: Allow visitors to Mark photos for bulk download, printing or buying.  ·   · 
    Marian MüllerMarian Müller shared a merged idea: Create a download area for friends  ·   · 
    Paul GibsonPaul Gibson shared a merged idea: Visitors download more than one image at a time  ·   · 
    EltonElton shared a merged idea: Allow visitors to have the option to download entire album!  ·   · 
    TomTom shared a merged idea: Add a batch download link directly to the gallery for clients, not just photographers  ·   · 
    F.c. WongF.c. Wong shared a merged idea: Bulk image downloads for my Clients direct from galleries  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Provide setting to allow free download of image galleries  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Allow full gallery download to specific users (or simple on/off functionality)  ·   · 
    SummerstaySummerstay shared a merged idea: Allow guests/clients to download entire gallery at once, in a simple manner.  ·   · 
    pureexposurepureexposure shared a merged idea: Put a make downloads free button  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Allow visitors to download multiple photos or all the photos in a gallery  ·   · 
    Mark AlisonMark Alison shared a merged idea: Add a "Download All Images" feature for my clients  ·   · 
    roakleycaroakleyca shared a merged idea: create a way for guests/clients to download an entire gallery --- easily.  ·   · 

207 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • KirthKirth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of this capability is making me reconsider renewing Smugmug :( Sucks that I have to go generate new download links for clients each and every time their current links expire.

• Patrick McLaughlinPatrick McLaughlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My family for years have asked me when can they bulk download the pictures I send them. Of all the great things Smugmug does very well, this issue stands out as not at all user friendly.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agreed that it should be an option to let your clients / friends or family download an entire album.. Hugely inconvenient!
        Thanks

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm glad this is being implemented, as this may end up making my decision to switch from my current image delivery solution to SmugMug. Any idea of a timeline on when this will go live?

• MeMe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah!! Finally! I really needs to get implemented as two things:

- an end user initiated download the whole gallery
        - an end user "pick these X number of pictures and download those

The assumption is if they have access to view it (meaning the password or whatever other security is on the gallery) they should have access to download ... unless the gallery owner sets it as no downloads (like professionals wouldn't allow) or specify a limitation on the size.

• Magnus BeckerMagnus Becker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really? I have been craving for this feature!

Two other features related to that, which I dream of are:
        - While bulk downloading choosing the resolution of the file.
        - To not only bulk download the whole galerie, but as well be able to bulk download selected files.

If this is implemented, the extra EU taxes I pay now are well worth it.

• Susie MeloSusie Melo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really is becoming a MUST HAVE FEATURE.... it's really the main purpose of having my website in the first place. It appears that SmugMug might be trying to control access to our photos - perhaps for hopes of financial gain. I hope this is not the case.

It is not convenient to download these into a zipfile and forward a link. I don't have time or patience for this extra step. This is something that should be initiated by the user at their convenience - to select what photos they want and download them when they want.

I sure hope the folks at SmugMug are realizing this is a seriously important feature that they should not control access to.

• Susie MeloSusie Melo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have to agree, it has been so frustrating that people can only download one at a time. Since I also have friends that use Smugmug when I want to download from their website, I don't want just one photo I probably want the entire gallery or multiple photos... very cumbersome and annoying. I find myself using other services that handle this better or uploading to my FTP site, which I shouldn't have to do for this price.

• gabbieAdmingabbie (Product Manager, SmugMug) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for that extra information about your use case and I've got some good news for you! As part of this bulk download tool (which is currently in process) you'll be able to add a password for single-image downloads as well.

• CharleyCharley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Gabbie--

Thanks for the attention. I would clarify that my suggestions was not specifically about bulk download, though that could be valuable. My client needs to be able to download select photos from a large gallery. Imagine they're putting together a PowerPoint or a newsletter and they need to pick three photos (out of hundreds) to include. But the general public should not be able to download (as is the case today with that protection enabled). So I'm looking for privileged download rather than bulk download.

• gabbieAdmingabbie (Product Manager, SmugMug) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi Charley. Thanks for taking the time to give us feedback. There are a wide range of features that could be implemented using enhanced privilege. I'm going to merge your vote into another idea that talks specifically about allow visitors to bulk download galleries, which includes the option of restricting that via a separate password. If you have any other ideas for ways that you'd like to use client privileges, please feel free to break those out and submit them separately.

• FlorianFlorian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I cant believe this thread was started 5 years ago....

I would love this feature and feel like it is a must!!
        I have just started setting up my site and realized it was missing, have not made a final decision on if it is a game changer or not.
        Haven't found anything else missing as a feature.

• Brad MadisonBrad Madison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is one of the main reasons I am considering leaving SmugMug after a 2 year affair. I find the digital delivery method to be completely user unfriendly, and obtrusive to my client work flow. Especially since in my state I can avoid charging sales tax if I deliver digitally. I currently implement Dropbox into my client workflow when doing digital downloads. Should not have to do that with what we pay for this service.

Just my 2¢.

• John SchillerJohn Schiller commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would argue this is a major missing piece of functionality. I couldn't agree more with the need for a bulk download - both for clients and family, as described in the previous comments. Just like we can declare an album as password protected, we should be able to declare an album as downloadable with a password. Then the client/family member should be able to specify the folder into which the images should be downloaded.

• John BertramJohn Bertram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And when this long overdue feature does get implemented, please Please PLEASE make sure to include the universal selection options (at least in the Mac OS; am assuming same for Windows) of Shift-Click, to select every item forward from the last already selected one; and Cmd-Click, to individually add non-contiguous items to the overall selection. (Just one of those "goes without saying" features that it sometimes can't hurt to say anyway!) Thanks.

• Michael AllieMichael Allie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hooray and thanks to Aaron! I was certain that this would never be addressed and it has been such a frustration for so many.

Thanks for FINALLY telling us that it is something you will work on!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 10 11

Feedback and Knowledge Base