I suggest you ...

A Bulk Gallery Download button for my Visitors

[Update Dec 3, 2014: Merged multiple ideas. Including their text here]

My *fantasy Bulk Download *looks like a button that shows up on every page of my private gallery where I have enabled the Bulk Download Feature on. The button says something like "download all photos in this gallery". And if they click it they get a message somehow that says something like: "great! i'm on it, it'll take a while and i'll send you a link when it's ready"

---------

I share quite a bit with family and friends, and it can get frustrating when someone puts up pictures you'd like to save to your computer or add to one of your albums (perhaps from the same event).

I propose one of two options: either a user-specific sharing system that allows specified SmugMug users to have full-download access to another user's gallery, or a simple on-off switch (in gallery settings) for full-download functionality.

As an example, a few of us go on vacation. We all have different cameras and upload pictures to our respective SmugMug pages. I would like my family/friends to see ALL the pictures from my trip regardless of who took them, but to download each photo one at a time from three other galleries gets quite tedious.

Similarly, I may want to put together an album (a real one, not digital) of all the photos from our trip. Again, bulk downloads would be great in this case.

-----

Recently I was sent a link to download all photos from a friends gallery online(using another service). It was great a straight forward as he sent me a link and a password and I downloaded all my images into a folder of choice. I really would appreciate something like this as well over the current download all method. where I must wait and forward a bunch of random links to my clients and the album names are randomly numbered

------

I provide visitors with password-protected access to galleries and allow them to download original size photos. This is time consuming to do one at a time. Others have requested a "download entire gallery" function for visitors, but I'd like to suggest a "Mark" feature which would be useful in several ways. Users would "Mark" photos as they are browsing, and then be able to take action on the Marked photos, such as Download All Marked, or Buy (if enabled) or Get Prints, etc.

----

Allow bulk download for visitors with owner specified max-allowed size and possibly custom renaming or keep the original naming.

1,187 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Trish TunneyTrish Tunney shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: DOWNLOAD ALL high res files button. Option for clients only or multiple downloads.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Make it possible to download multiple selected pictures at one time (not just single picture or whole gallery).  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Let us download a Print Marked gallery!  ·   · 
    Karen AlexanderKaren Alexander shared a merged idea: Let users select multiple photos for download!  ·   · 
    SteveSteve shared a merged idea: Something in between "all or one" downloads  ·   · 
    Trevor GardinerTrevor Gardiner shared a merged idea: Enable selctive downloads from a Gallery  ·   · 
    NevNev shared a merged idea: client side full gallery download  ·   · 
    Emily MagersEmily Magers shared a merged idea: allow for easier downloading  ·   · 
    Lorne LevittLorne Levitt shared a merged idea: "download Gallery"  ·   · 
    Andy LiAndy Li shared a merged idea: Single click for entire download for clients who are viewing their gallery.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Allow bulk download for visitors with owner specified max-allowed size and possibly custom renaming or keep the original naming.  ·   · 
    BrianBrian shared a merged idea: Have an option for Client to download ALL images in a galley instead of one by one,once a client has purchased all rights, this would ideal.  ·   · 
    Dieter KurtzDieter Kurtz shared a merged idea: Allow Download of All photos  ·   · 
    NigelNigel shared a merged idea: Ability of gallery viewers to download all images in one click  ·   · 
    Bruce MacdougallBruce Macdougall shared a merged idea: Need for better and consistent download tools (& Better File Management).  ·   · 
    Sten HartmanSten Hartman shared a merged idea: A better way to allow a client to download all pictures in a gallery  ·   · 
    Tonya SimpsonTonya Simpson shared a merged idea: more downloading  ·   · 
    RayRay shared a merged idea: allow multiple photo downloads  ·   · 
    Brandon MartinezBrandon Martinez shared a merged idea: "Download All" link for private galleries  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Allow "download all photos" option for any viewer I've shared the gallery with.  ·   · 
    MikeMike shared a merged idea: Make it easier to give hi-res downloads to clients! No more 7 zipped files in separate emails!  ·   · 
    Ed TEd T shared a merged idea: Include a 'download whole gallery' option for customers.  ·   · 
    mikemike shared a merged idea: set it up so clients could DL entire galleries  ·   · 
    Brad PriceBrad Price shared a merged idea: Allow visitors to Mark photos for bulk download, printing or buying.  ·   · 
    Marian MüllerMarian Müller shared a merged idea: Create a download area for friends  ·   · 
    Paul GibsonPaul Gibson shared a merged idea: Visitors download more than one image at a time  ·   · 
    EltonElton shared a merged idea: Allow visitors to have the option to download entire album!  ·   · 
    TomTom shared a merged idea: Add a batch download link directly to the gallery for clients, not just photographers  ·   · 
    F.c. WongF.c. Wong shared a merged idea: Bulk image downloads for my Clients direct from galleries  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Provide setting to allow free download of image galleries  ·   · 
    AdamAdam shared a merged idea: Allow full gallery download to specific users (or simple on/off functionality)  ·   · 
    SummerstaySummerstay shared a merged idea: Allow guests/clients to download entire gallery at once, in a simple manner.  ·   · 
    pureexposurepureexposure shared a merged idea: Put a make downloads free button  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Allow visitors to download multiple photos or all the photos in a gallery  ·   · 
    Mark AlisonMark Alison shared a merged idea: Add a "Download All Images" feature for my clients  ·   · 
    roakleycaroakleyca shared a merged idea: create a way for guests/clients to download an entire gallery --- easily.  ·   · 

175 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • aaronAdminaaron (Product Manager / DGrin Admin, SmugMug) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've gone through and merged several duplicate ideas into this one. We'll try to do a better job of getting merging these duplicate ideas going forward.

We do see the large # of requests for this feature and take it into account when we're planning / executing future products. We are listening!

• MeMe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely! This request is already in this forum multiple places though. I hope SM implements it someday. It's been requested for years.

Definitely. I totally agree. This has been requested multiple times in multiple suggestions on this forum. I really hope Smugmug listens and implements this someday.

I'd love this feature ... but there are other similar requests in the forum. I'm guessing people are voting elsewhere in the forum.

I could really use this also. I share pictures with family, friends, and my kids soccer teams, etc. From the gallery, they should be able to select the pictures they want, and download them all at once instead of having to do it one at a time. Please, please, please add this.

• John BertramJohn Bertram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

At the very least, please tell us WHY you have decided not to implement such fundamental features as Download All & Download Selected buttons (or the Blog functionality requested for so long). Is there some great technical hurdle, or a contrary design philosophy, standing in the way? It can't possibly be "we're really busy, but we ARE working on it", because if THAT were the case, features as basic as these would still have been introduced long ago. So please, let's not talk about a magic number of "votes" -- just tell us the reason you have chosen to not implement this kind of functionality, so your customers can make an informed choice as to whether that reasoning makes sense for their needs.

• Matt AkersMatt Akers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I absolutely want this feature too! If you can download one, downloading all especially at the 2nd package level is fine.

• CarsonCarson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Had no problem downloading one of my smugmug galleries and saved it as a zip file but it does not allow me to view icons as images. I have to click on each file to open image. Especially since I made no changes to the pictures after upload I want to view the download the same as I uploaded them as images. Is there a way around this?

• Scott NowickiScott Nowicki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously, tomorrow this thread will be 4 years old and there STILL is no way for visitors to download the entire gallery??

• EdaEda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a client right now, a "Download All" pictures in a specific gallery would be the MOST USEFUL feature of SmugMug for me. We're getting around it, but if downloading a file is enable for one image, then a user should certainly be able to download all of the files in given gallery.

• MenoMeno commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is definetly needed, the only way right now is to go to ORGANIZE > DOWNLOAD

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

MY DREAM TOO!!! I just left this as a new thread also so go vote there too!!
        MUCH needed... I have to pay for SmugMug just to store my images and allow people to BUY prints and products, AND THEN I HAVE TO BUY PASS, so that they can actually DOWNLOAD their galleries aesthetically.

I HATE sending them the generated SmugMug link in an email. So tacky.
        I've been begging for this for a long time!!

I'd like to set mine to TWO downloads so that my clients and their families can download and that's it!!!!
        WONDERFUL IDEA!!!

Absolutely. Being able to make a custom, non-contiguous selection, and then having a one-click option to "Download Selected", is just as important -- if not even more so -- than simply having a Download All button. The obvious take-away is that BOTH options are absolutely essential -- Download Selected AND Download ALL. Why this achingly overdue feature has STILL not been implemented is a mystery beyond all rational understanding.

• TobyToby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am new to Smugmug and a also a Zenfolio user (which is where I have my personal portfolio).

I am using Smugmug for a client image database and one of the requirements is that they can select multiple images from a gallery and then download that set. This is something you can do on Zenfolio and something I just assumed you would be able to do on Smugmug.

I have now spent too much time and effort on two separate Smugmug sites for my client to now change.

You should be able to tick or select individual images from a gallery page and then download that selection as well as having a download all function.

A little frustrated to say the least right now...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The option for visitors to download the complete gallery would be great. Even better to select multiple files for bulk download.

Does anyone know what the downside is to either of these features? It can't be difficult to implement, so SmugMug must have something against them.

Also, what are the best alternatives to SM that implement this feature? I'm ready to switch.

The necessity of this feature for ANY site which even uses the phrase "photo SHARING" is beyond obvious. The overwhelming desire for this feature among SmugMug users has been equally obvious for YEARS now. This is NOT a question of "well now kids, we have lots of requests, and can only work on implementing so many features at once" -- the Best Before date on that excuse was a very long time ago. If the SmugMug developers have made a conscious decision NOT to implement this basic and almost universal feature -- and sadly that appears to be the case -- then they OWE their paying customers a clear and honest explanation as to WHY NOT. Is it technically just too challenging? (Hard to believe, given how pretty much everyone else has figured out a way to do it.) Does it violate some obscure but deeply held design philosophy? If so, they MUST break their silence and share that philosophy with us. But to simply remain silent in the face of years worth of deafeningly loud demand and achingly obvious necessity comes across as nothing more than arrogant, and nothing less than unacceptable. If you have a genuine reason for not having implemented this basic feature (something a LOT better than "we just haven't gotten around to it yet"), then tell us that reason. If not, then just implement this stunningly overdue feature now. End. Of. Discussion.

• Andy BuscemiAndy Buscemi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current option of sending a link to your clients via email doesn't cut it from a presentation standpoint at all. With the current solution, when should I do this? When sending gallery information to clients?...totally awkward to send a gallery link when they have the option to download. Please, please add this!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base