I suggest you ...

A Bulk Gallery Download button for my Visitors

[Admin update Jan 8, 2015: Merged multiple ideas. Including their text here]

We are run a underwear company and have several large fashion shoots each year. We shoot and retouch anywhere between 50-100 per shoot. Our clients do not want to click download 100 times. The inability to download entire gallery may be a deal breaker. As the owner of account I can download entire gallery. This should be an easy funtion to add to site?

---------

My *fantasy Bulk Download *looks like a button that shows up on every page of my private gallery where I have enabled the Bulk Download Feature on. The button says something like "download all photos in this gallery". And if they click it they get a message somehow that says something like: "great! i'm on it, it'll take a while and i'll send you a link when it's ready"

---------

I share quite a bit with family and friends, and it can get frustrating when someone puts up pictures you'd like to save to your computer or add to one of your albums (perhaps from the same event).

I propose one of two options: either a user-specific sharing system that allows specified SmugMug users to have full-download access to another user's gallery, or a simple on-off switch (in gallery settings) for full-download functionality.

As an example, a few of us go on vacation. We all have different cameras and upload pictures to our respective SmugMug pages. I would like my family/friends to see ALL the pictures from my trip regardless of who took them, but to download each photo one at a time from three other galleries gets quite tedious.

Similarly, I may want to put together an album (a real one, not digital) of all the photos from our trip. Again, bulk downloads would be great in this case.

-----

Recently I was sent a link to download all photos from a friends gallery online(using another service). It was great a straight forward as he sent me a link and a password and I downloaded all my images into a folder of choice. I really would appreciate something like this as well over the current download all method. where I must wait and forward a bunch of random links to my clients and the album names are randomly numbered

------

I provide visitors with password-protected access to galleries and allow them to download original size photos. This is time consuming to do one at a time. Others have requested a "download entire gallery" function for visitors, but I'd like to suggest a "Mark" feature which would be useful in several ways. Users would "Mark" photos as they are browsing, and then be able to take action on the Marked photos, such as Download All Marked, or Buy (if enabled) or Get Prints, etc.

----

Allow bulk download for visitors with owner specified max-allowed size and possibly custom renaming or keep the original naming.

1,399 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Trish TunneyTrish Tunney shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Is there anyway the folder can remain public, but with a password given to certain persons, to download freely from the folder?  ·   · 
    Chris BChris B shared a merged idea: Download ALL  ·   · 
    CharleyCharley shared a merged idea: Allow client enhanced privileges to their gallery.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Ability for client to download entire gallery?  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: DOWNLOAD ALL high res files button. Option for clients only or multiple downloads.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Make it possible to download multiple selected pictures at one time (not just single picture or whole gallery).  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Let us download a Print Marked gallery!  ·   · 
    Karen AlexanderKaren Alexander shared a merged idea: Let users select multiple photos for download!  ·   · 
    SteveSteve shared a merged idea: Something in between "all or one" downloads  ·   · 
    Trevor GardinerTrevor Gardiner shared a merged idea: Enable selctive downloads from a Gallery  ·   · 
    NevNev shared a merged idea: client side full gallery download  ·   · 
    Emily MagersEmily Magers shared a merged idea: allow for easier downloading  ·   · 
    Lorne LevittLorne Levitt shared a merged idea: "download Gallery"  ·   · 
    Andy LiAndy Li shared a merged idea: Single click for entire download for clients who are viewing their gallery.  ·   · 
    YanYan shared a merged idea: Allow bulk download for visitors with owner specified max-allowed size and possibly custom renaming or keep the original naming.  ·   · 
    BrianBrian shared a merged idea: Have an option for Client to download ALL images in a galley instead of one by one,once a client has purchased all rights, this would ideal.  ·   · 
    Dieter KurtzDieter Kurtz shared a merged idea: Allow Download of All photos  ·   · 
    NigelNigel shared a merged idea: Ability of gallery viewers to download all images in one click  ·   · 
    Bruce MacdougallBruce Macdougall shared a merged idea: Need for better and consistent download tools (& Better File Management).  ·   · 
    Sten HartmanSten Hartman shared a merged idea: A better way to allow a client to download all pictures in a gallery  ·   · 
    Tonya SimpsonTonya Simpson shared a merged idea: more downloading  ·   · 
    RayRay shared a merged idea: allow multiple photo downloads  ·   · 
    Brandon MartinezBrandon Martinez shared a merged idea: "Download All" link for private galleries  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Allow "download all photos" option for any viewer I've shared the gallery with.  ·   · 
    MikeMike shared a merged idea: Make it easier to give hi-res downloads to clients! No more 7 zipped files in separate emails!  ·   · 
    Ed TEd T shared a merged idea: Include a 'download whole gallery' option for customers.  ·   · 
    mikemike shared a merged idea: set it up so clients could DL entire galleries  ·   · 
    Brad PriceBrad Price shared a merged idea: Allow visitors to Mark photos for bulk download, printing or buying.  ·   · 
    Marian MüllerMarian Müller shared a merged idea: Create a download area for friends  ·   · 
    Paul GibsonPaul Gibson shared a merged idea: Visitors download more than one image at a time  ·   · 
    EltonElton shared a merged idea: Allow visitors to have the option to download entire album!  ·   · 
    TomTom shared a merged idea: Add a batch download link directly to the gallery for clients, not just photographers  ·   · 
    F.c. WongF.c. Wong shared a merged idea: Bulk image downloads for my Clients direct from galleries  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Provide setting to allow free download of image galleries  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Allow full gallery download to specific users (or simple on/off functionality)  ·   · 
    SummerstaySummerstay shared a merged idea: Allow guests/clients to download entire gallery at once, in a simple manner.  ·   · 
    pureexposurepureexposure shared a merged idea: Put a make downloads free button  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Allow visitors to download multiple photos or all the photos in a gallery  ·   · 
    Mark AlisonMark Alison shared a merged idea: Add a "Download All Images" feature for my clients  ·   · 
    Gary StaharaGary Stahara shared a merged idea: Allow free low-res digital downloads...  ·   · 
    roakleycaroakleyca shared a merged idea: create a way for guests/clients to download an entire gallery --- easily.  ·   · 

224 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Magnus BeckerMagnus Becker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm glad you guys are still working on this feature. I hope the long time it takes means that you are implementing it in a well thought through way. I'd really appreciate that. We'd be happy to see some results soon though.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I administer a school's SmugMug site, and we have required memory books at the end of the year. Since all parents contribute to the photo galleries, we need a way of being able to download the photos with only our kids' photos, not entire galleries. SmugMug has enabled us to Tag our children's photos with their names, but we have no way of downloading those photos in bulk. Please, fix this! 80 families requesting their children's photos zip filed and sent is more work than the SmugMug heroes should be required to do. It has the school board members re-thinking the use of the SmugMug site as our photo cache for the year.

• Rob PerryRob Perry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Once the "Select Images for Download" and "Download All" features are made available, can you tell me which SmugMug Subscription Plans will include these features?

• Michael AllieMichael Allie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just as a reminder: If you want to give someone the ability to download an entire gallery prior to this new feature being enabled, there is a way to do that. You can generate a link that allows you to download a zip file of all of the pictures in a gallery, and then just send that link to your customers, friends, etc. I've been doing this for years and it works really well.

• ChristabelChristabel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an update as to when this bulk download gallery will be available? I shoot for events where there are hundreds images. And I would never inconvenient my client to download one by one, so have been sharing via google drive or dropbox. I shouldn't have to do that, when I am paying a membership to utilize smugmug. Would appreciate any update!

Hi @Aaron

Is there any chance you could update everyone about the release date of this feature?

It´s very frustrating that my family has to pay 0.65 pounds to download a gallery and this cannot be set to free as I am paying the highest band of smugmug account.

Thanks!

• Peter OwenPeter Owen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Without a select and download feature, after years of using Smugmug I will have to go elsewhere.

I don't charge for my photos and there should be a setting to make a gallery not chargeable to remove all of the "Shopping cart" elements and allow people to click to select and then download the photos.

I take a lot of sports photos and the Mums and Dads just want to take the 20 or so with their child on and not do it one by one.

I end up using dropbox, USB pen or CD/DVD often due to the lack of this visitor bulk download facility.

Don't want to leave but getting near!

• AISAIS commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there an idea of timeframe for completion of this feature?

Many thanks,

• MarcMarc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What is the status of the bulk downloading feature? I asked one of the staff and they recently said

"The gallery download is an account owner only option. Visitors to your site will need to download one image at a time. You can download an entire gallery then share the link to the zip file with them. Go to the gallery then click organize. Click the download icon> download gallery. You will get an email with a link to a zip file that contains the gallery images."

This feature would be very valuable to my portrait business. Please make it very user friendly. I like the idea of visitors being able to "mark" the images they want and then print or download all that all "marked".

• KirthKirth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The lack of this capability is making me reconsider renewing Smugmug :( Sucks that I have to go generate new download links for clients each and every time their current links expire.

• Patrick McLaughlinPatrick McLaughlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My family for years have asked me when can they bulk download the pictures I send them. Of all the great things Smugmug does very well, this issue stands out as not at all user friendly.

agreed that it should be an option to let your clients / friends or family download an entire album.. Hugely inconvenient!
        Thanks

I'm glad this is being implemented, as this may end up making my decision to switch from my current image delivery solution to SmugMug. Any idea of a timeline on when this will go live?

• MeMe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah!! Finally! I really needs to get implemented as two things:

- an end user initiated download the whole gallery
        - an end user "pick these X number of pictures and download those

The assumption is if they have access to view it (meaning the password or whatever other security is on the gallery) they should have access to download ... unless the gallery owner sets it as no downloads (like professionals wouldn't allow) or specify a limitation on the size.

• Magnus BeckerMagnus Becker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really? I have been craving for this feature!

Two other features related to that, which I dream of are:
        - While bulk downloading choosing the resolution of the file.
        - To not only bulk download the whole galerie, but as well be able to bulk download selected files.

If this is implemented, the extra EU taxes I pay now are well worth it.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 11 12

Feedback and Knowledge Base