I suggest you ...

A Bulk Gallery Download button for my Visitors

My *fantasy Bulk Download *looks like a button that shows up on every page of my private gallery where I have enabled the Bulk Download Feature on. The button says something like "download all photos in this gallery". And if they click it they get a message somehow that says something like: "great! i'm on it, it'll take a while and i'll send you a link when it's ready"

1,000 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Trish TunneyTrish Tunney shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    NigelNigel shared a merged idea: Ability of gallery viewers to download all images in one click  ·   · 
    Brandon MartinezBrandon Martinez shared a merged idea: "Download All" link for private galleries  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Allow "download all photos" option for any viewer I've shared the gallery with.  ·   · 
    Ed TEd T shared a merged idea: Include a 'download whole gallery' option for customers.  ·   · 
    mikemike shared a merged idea: set it up so clients could DL entire galleries  ·   · 
    Marian MüllerMarian Müller shared a merged idea: Create a download area for friends  ·   · 
    Paul GibsonPaul Gibson shared a merged idea: Visitors download more than one image at a time  ·   · 
    EltonElton shared a merged idea: Allow visitors to have the option to download entire album!  ·   · 
    TomTom shared a merged idea: Add a batch download link directly to the gallery for clients, not just photographers  ·   · 
    F.c. WongF.c. Wong shared a merged idea: Bulk image downloads for my Clients direct from galleries  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Provide setting to allow free download of image galleries  ·   · 
    SummerstaySummerstay shared a merged idea: Allow guests/clients to download entire gallery at once, in a simple manner.  ·   · 
    pureexposurepureexposure shared a merged idea: Put a make downloads free button  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Allow visitors to download multiple photos or all the photos in a gallery  ·   · 
    Mark AlisonMark Alison shared a merged idea: Add a "Download All Images" feature for my clients  ·   · 
    roakleycaroakleyca shared a merged idea: create a way for guests/clients to download an entire gallery --- easily.  ·   · 

145 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • EdaEda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a client right now, a "Download All" pictures in a specific gallery would be the MOST USEFUL feature of SmugMug for me. We're getting around it, but if downloading a file is enable for one image, then a user should certainly be able to download all of the files in given gallery.

• John BertramJohn Bertram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely. Being able to make a custom, non-contiguous selection, and then having a one-click option to "Download Selected", is just as important -- if not even more so -- than simply having a Download All button. The obvious take-away is that BOTH options are absolutely essential -- Download Selected AND Download ALL. Why this achingly overdue feature has STILL not been implemented is a mystery beyond all rational understanding.

• TobyToby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am new to Smugmug and a also a Zenfolio user (which is where I have my personal portfolio).

I am using Smugmug for a client image database and one of the requirements is that they can select multiple images from a gallery and then download that set. This is something you can do on Zenfolio and something I just assumed you would be able to do on Smugmug.

I have now spent too much time and effort on two separate Smugmug sites for my client to now change.

You should be able to tick or select individual images from a gallery page and then download that selection as well as having a download all function.

A little frustrated to say the least right now...

• Andy BuscemiAndy Buscemi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The current option of sending a link to your clients via email doesn't cut it from a presentation standpoint at all. With the current solution, when should I do this? When sending gallery information to clients?...totally awkward to send a gallery link when they have the option to download. Please, please add this!

• Matthieu MoyMatthieu Moy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Google+ does this, just click "download" and you're done. A pity a paid service like smugsmug doesn't have it :-(.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE. FOR THE LOVE OF GOD. My clients are always confused as to why they can't download their photos all at once.

This feature would be sooooooo useful for sharing images with other vendors in the wedding industry. Please include it in the next update. Thanks!!!

• Brad PriceBrad Price commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's been YEARS and this feature still has not been implemented. It's the single most important thing to my workflow, and it wastes a LOT of my time. Nobody buys prints anymore. I would like to be able to "sell" digital downloads (even setting the price to zero for some clients). I would like viewers to be able, as they are viewing photos in a gallery, select what they want to add to the cart, and then download all at once. Fine if smugmug wants to generate a zip file.. whatever.

Are there any updates with Smugmug implementing this? I really need this for my business, but I don't want to have to switch to Zenfolio or another company who offers it.

• RicibobRicibob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a deal breaker for me. Photo sharing without a gallery download feature? WTF???

• Magnus BeckerMagnus Becker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Brent: So you'd rather force your visitors to download 200 pictures if they only want 10 of them? Have you thought that through?

Btw. that link is valid only for something like two weeks. For my use case that's no option.

PS: Thanks for reminding me: I need to cancle my subscription and will indeed go with a dropbox now. I waited for three years to get this feature and nothing happened, like with all the other features I'm waiting for.

• Brent RiversBrent Rivers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I NOW see why they do not offer this as an option for visitors, and REQUIRE the account owner to setup a .zip file creation link, that, can be sent to any prospective client. I was frustrated in the past, and until recently hadn't the need for visitor bulk download...until now. And, Michael Allie below referenced the solution, that Smugmug needs to advertise to it's pro and above account holders. It took all of 30 secs to get a temporary link for a downloadable zip file to a very large gallery with video file as well. So, problem solve, and actually its a BETTER solution than having random visitors clogging up bandwidth pull files that they do not need.

• Rudi TheunsRudi Theuns commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To aid sharing via download would it not be useful to have a button that tells download of gallery is available or can be requested as a standard in SmugMug without send a mail to the people.

• Michael AllieMichael Allie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just remember, you can use the "share" button to generate a zip file and it will send you a link that will download a zip file with all of the pictures. Just forward that link to your client.

I just stumbled upon this problem as I have a client trying to D/L their gallery. I told him it must be an option and just walked through it with him only to realize through Google searching and this thread, that it cannot be done... This is a huge headache for me.

DropBox has this, along with the ability to copy all the images to their own DropBox account. I know SmugMug incurs data transfer fees and lets users create temporary gallery download links for bulk, but maybe for the folks already paying for AWS you could pass on the costs.

• TJTJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SMUGMUG! I'm new to the scene and pricing out different options in the industry. You would be top of the line if ONLY customers had the option of downloading the ENTIRE gallery without paying as most of us include it in our packages these days. Get with it!! Everyone else is doing it :)

• Magnus BeckerMagnus Becker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Nick Strugnell wrote:
        > I'm seriously looking at alternatives to Smugmug for my business.

They abandoned this thread a long time ago and I recommend you to do exactly this. I'll not extend my membership as well.

• Nick Strugnell Nick Strugnell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a commercial photographer andand deliver all my material with the odd exception through smug mug. My issue is since I have evolved my business I have adopted wireless transmission from camera to iPad during the shoot. Not only do the clients live this but it often cuts down on my workflow as the client is prepared to do post production themselves because of the time saved during the shoot. Now here's the rub... When using smug mug as most of us have in the past you would process the images. Upload to gallery. Request download of gallery to zip. Write email with link to gallery and password. Plus, link to zip.

But what if I have already uploaded the files on location and the client want right go to their computer and download immediately from the gallery link.... they can't!! It requires me to log in and download! How fractured is that? Why can't a Smugmug simply allow us to select from with gallery settings if we want our clients to have download facility switcd on or not?
        I think what we all want is Smugmug with dropbox/sugarsync capabilities.
        I'm seriously looking at alternatives to Smugmug for my business.
        I really like what therw doing but I feel they have taken their eye of the ball recently.
        Please, please Smugmug it can't be that hard to sit down and ask yourselfs what basic features would be really useful to a Photographer... after all aren't you all snappers at heart?
        Regards
        Nick

WE NEED THIS. Zenfolio has it. I'm a lifelong smugmugger - don't want to switch guys, c'mon!

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base