I suggest you ...

Provide a COMPLETE site-wide image backup function

Allow owners to download all image files from selected/all galleries, complete with ALL metadata embedded.

This would support the Smugmug population who do not use a Lightroom-based upload process. And those who take advantage of Smugmug's agility to maintain their captions & keywords on the fly.

Effectively, this would replace the functionality of the Legacy third-party app AlbumFetcher. For selected/all galleries, it downloaded a copy of every image file with ALL of its metadata EMBEDDED -- whether having been originally uploaded OR MAINTAINED WITHIN SMUGMUG. Specifically, it:

(1) allowed the bulk download of any number of galleries at once (select from a list populated real time)
(2) downloaded their respective gallery descriptions
(3) downloaded all included images (both true and virtual)
(4) embedded in those downloaded image files the Keywords* and Captions (IPTC Description)* that had been maintained through the years using the SmugMug editing tools (not in original upload files)
(5) preserved original filenames (no SM prefixes/suffixes).

*Now would need to add the Title field.

Some related dgrin threads:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=240863
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=252302
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=250184
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=240863
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=47160

109 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Janice Browne shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • David Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We badly need individual-user local site backup capability.

Right now, I'm downloading one gallery at a time. Because that's tremendously time consuming and because it copies only photos - not pages or directory structure, or captions/titles/keywords, or any other customization - it's woefully inadequate. If you guys had an unrecoverable disk crash, we - and you - would be in a world of hurt.

Please!

• Au Kirk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have had a SmugMug account for more than 13 years, and it has been my family's photo "backup", where we have uploaded all edited photos for years. While it provides a great archive and backup of what is on your hard-drive, it struck me recently that there is not a single place where all of those original photos live on a local hard drive. Some are on old external drives, some are in an old Aperture database, some are in LightRoom and others are on various iPhone or Android devices.

I went to look for an option to download a COMPLETE copy of our family SmugMug photo archive (including the folder and gallery structure, as well as keywords), and am shocked to see this is not already possible.

With literally hundreds of individual galleries, it is not practical to download each gallery as a separate zip. While I could create larger "smart" galleries to download, I would lose the folder structure.

This is disappointing... SmugMug needs this feature, even if it has a cost associated with it. Would be great to sync with DropBox or something like that.

I guess I will just hope SmugMug doesn't disappear some day before this feature comes out.

• Andy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I came over to smug mug from picturelife and having this feature is hugely important. I need to be able to get my photos back down from smugmug so I have canonical local copies again. I got complacent with my local copy backups before and almost got burned, please help me get out of the mess I'm in as well as stay a happy customer.

• Al Gallia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very, very important! But should be a download option by owner on download of photos or galleries.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need an option to download all photos, not just elected by albums. You guys took away the option of ordering all photos on DVD, so there is no easy way to get all your photos back from Smugmug at the moment.

• Dana Franz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Single button that allows one to download every image ever uploaded to smugmug, and maintains the directory structure that is on smugmug. User would simply select a destination directory, and all images would be downloaded to that directory, with subdirectories automatically created to duplicate one's smugmug site organization.

• MikeP commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amen! Please provide for a solution for us to get our files without loosing meta data, or even just file date information for videos.

• Roland Crane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow (Pro?) users to download:

Images
        Keywords
        Caption data
        Comments

I realize that this would eat up an enormous amount of bandwidth, so it would be fair to pay for the service.

Make an option to just ship it on disc back to the user.

Feedback and Knowledge Base