I suggest you ...

Sync Lightroom Folder/Gallery hierarchy to SmugMug

I've spent several years setting up a hierarchy of folders in Lightroom. I'd like to easily replicate this hierarchy on Smugmug.

As far as I can tell, I can sync my SmugMug Folders, Galleries and Photos to Lightroom. But I cannot sync in the other direction

59 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    John shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

7 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Claude commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Go directly into smugmug in your browser. Create a root folder if necessary, then drag any folder hierarchy from windows explorer directly into the upload window in your browser. It will create all the subfolder hiearchy and upload your pictures in them.

After, if you want, you can go into lightroom and synchronize the folder. It will create and find all the subfolders and pictures.

It worked great for me.

• K Layer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The first service that does this from LR I will become a customer for life. Dan D says this is possible, everyone else says it is not. Which is it??

• guygg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is THE feature I most want, as it still seems impossible to do. I want to completely sync a tree of photos from Lightroom to SmugMug. If I add galleries/photos in LR inside the folder I published to SmugMug, I want those additions/changes published to SmugMug automatically. Personally, I'm not really concerned with syncing stuff from SM down to LR, so those features aren't particularly important for me. But the other way around is key for my use. I essentially want to publish sections and/or all of my LR catalog to SM for friends/family to be able to browse/download/etc.

• dave cortesi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Dan D, you are not correct; what @John is talking about is not described in the webinar (although thank you for the link).

At 20:00 and forward is the description of uploading a new folder of pics, "Golden Gate Bridge Christmas" which exists on the local disk but not in SM. The user has to

1. Create a gallery using "Create Gallery"

2. Drag pictures into it (or have them preselected)

3. Repeat for every subfolder in the folder

4. Repeat for next folder

This is fine for ONE gallery/folder but when you have a number of nested folders it is a pain to have to manually duplicate that folder structure, one gallery at a time, within the SM publishing service.

The folder structure exists "right there" in LR, I can see it! Why do I have to reproduce it one folder name at a time?

Why can't I just DRAG A FOLDER from the LR folder list and drop it on the SM publisher? The SM publisher would then do the work of reproducing that folder and any sub-folders in SM.

• Tony Spielberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hear, hear!

I do theatrical photography, and every event requires creating many collections/galleries. This feature would save me a lot of time, for each and every event I shoot.

As to Dan D's comment re this feature being available: on 2016-12-09, the Hero Desk told me this is not possible.

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I didn't see that the video addressed the hierarchy sync, other than manually creating it.

Feedback and Knowledge Base