I suggest you ...

allow Pros to remove footer

This was apparently a short lived option. Some folks are still grandfathered in, but Smugmug's current policy is to force a smugmug branding on our sites (various tricks to hide it are prohibited).

I understand the need for branding, but as Pros paying quite a bit yearly, I think we should have the choice of whether we want the branding or not. I feel as if Smugmug is trying to play a small part at running my site.

Can we get this option back please?

1,067 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    LinhLinh shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    DamienDamien shared a merged idea: Smugmug footer removal  ·   · 
    tlcmatlcma shared a merged idea: Remove all of SmugMug info and footer on the bottom of the web page  ·   · 

200 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • KirstenKirsten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is an item on my growing list of reasons to seriously consider ditching Smugmug altogether.

Smugmug, this is a very simple fix. I pay you a large chunk of cash for my pro account. I pay you so I can COMPLETELY CUSTOMIZE my site. If you want free advertisement on my site, pony up.

Trust me, if I like the service you provide, I will tell ALL of my photographer friends (of whom I have many). Right now, I am instead giving them my growing list of reservations, such as, you can't remove their annoying little credit line on the bottom of the page, many company networks block my website because it is flagged as a media uploading site (yes, my ENTIRE site, which wasn't an issue two months ago), and there's no option for a client login page without either relying on an emailed link or showing the entire world my list of clients.

This is very frustrating, and the "powered by" line can't possibly be giving you more business than it is ******* of your customers. Think about it. Really, you don't even need a brain for this one. If I like your service, I WILL TELL PEOPLE. If I'm annoyed by you decisions and lack of response to feedback, I WILL TELL PEOPLE, then I will leave.

• Tim StoweTim Stowe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I first discovered this, I was pretty annoyed.

And then I got over it.

Then I got to thinking - do my clients really actually care if I'm proficient at website design? Do they even notice? It's like an "Intel Inside" sticker on your computer. "Wait! The people who built that computer aren't building the processors themselves? I'm not buying that thing!"

That said, I do still want it gone... But it's a pretty minor deal.

• JoJo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this realllly annoys me I pay for the pro option and seeing smugmug on the bottom of my site does NOT look pro!!!

• Ethereal LightEthereal Light commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Car dealers do not pay me to use their license plate brackets so they are removed. I pay a premium as a pro user and I should not have to use SmugMug branding such as the footer and shopping cart branding. I get it for lower level subscriptions but please SmugMug give us pros the option to remove branding! I didn't have the footer in legacy smug, but now that I switched over to the new, I can't remove the powered by SmugMug. I might look for another host. This is very disappointing...

• BillBill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dang...this just broke the deal for me. Sorry Smugmug...I don't pay you AND promote you...I utilize you as a service for my gain...Bye

• TobyToby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just e-mailed them about this issue as we are a company about to start using Smugmug. It looks like I have found my answer here!

I can not believe that this is not possible! Very very unprofessional. We are in fact only going for the mid option plan for which I can actually understand and deal with having the 'Powered by Smugmug' there but we would definitely look to get the top plan is this feature was included.

If Smugmug are not going to offer it as an option in plans then they should at least offer it as some sort of one off payment. We have done this with our mailer company to remove their company foot links from our mailers.

Think about it Smugmug. We have 13 days left on our trail and may go with Zenfolio (who allow full removal of branding on their £100 a year plan) if this cannot be sorted, which is a shame as I really love Smugmugs backend! (no smirking now please)

• ChuckChuck commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Removing the footer would be great, but there needs to be a way to remove the branding in the shopping cart as well.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This just truly is pathetic smugmug.. All these years go by and you still haven't figured it out, I can't really believe that a company that seems so smart would be doing something this dumb. I feel so lucky I didn't get tricked like so many in finding out about this particular branding issue after signing up, and the way you word your homepage is totally misleading.

I had been talking to my biz partner for months about smugmug. On initial glance my assumption was it was probably the best out there, especially after reading about the brand customization. Now I finally setup a trial I've only been messing around for one day before I discovered this issue, thank goodness there is at least a trial so I could have seen this first hand, saved me a big headache and stress. Stress kills you know, and I've got enough as it is in this stupid economy. I was almost totally sold too, just about to get a PRO account. Obviously, now I have to look somewhere else, which makes me sad because I wanted to fall deeply in love with you. I can't date someone who makes me look bad in public, who acts like a greedy selfish child.

As much as I like the way the content management system and site customization works, the inability to completely and thoroughly remove smugmug branding on my site for a pro account is a total deal breaker. It is in fact ridiculous that you would call it a pro account and market it as fully customizable to MY brand. With a pro account, we should have the option to make this at the very least less obvious. My website hosting company doesn't say anything about themselves on my sites and of course they are far cheaper per month. I'm a website developer as well, and I would NEVER force a client to advertise me. ESPECIALLY one that would be paying an annual fee that is as high as yours.

It is one thing to refer people personally to your company, if someone asks me, that is something I would have probably done depending on the vibe the person gives me. Totally different to place links and copyrights on the site that redirect ANY visitor to smugmug. You have effectively removed all the value of your service for a professional with this policy, and every professional can see how unprofessional you really are.

I can just see how this would cause a lot of confusion for clients, and a lot of wasted time explaining what smugmug is and how it relates to my business. Clearly the only people who care to read this thread are the frustrated users, I don't see anyone from smugmug looking to make things right. Sad. Shows you don't care about your top tier customers and their most crucial needs.

It's fine with me if you want people to have a TOS somewhere, or privacy policy for legal reasons. Very few people will read that anyhow and I don't care if it has smugmug information, as long as I can preface that with a description that says smugmug is my image and website hosting company to somewhat eliminate confusion. However for pro accounts, the placement of such things should be up to us, not plastered on every single gallery along with a bunch of advertising links to smugmug.

Photo sharing, about smugmug, browse photos, prints & gifts are all advertising links for smugmug. This is absolutely unacceptable for a PRO account. Are you out of your minds? When you wake the F*** up and fix this, I hope I find out, because I really wanted to fall in love with you.

Everyone that pays for a service must have the choise to advertise their services.
        " Powerd by smugmug "

• randy zimmerrandy zimmer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

SmugMug was closest thing I found to letting me have a professional site. Your value is letting me portray my business as self proficient. I use all kinds of vendors behind the scenes like every other business. I dont promote the vendors that I buy my photo products I sell- like cards, books, etc - they are free to reach end users direct as well- but I bring them orders from over 100 people. I didnt realize this limitation until I paid for account- but I will be using a photo template with wordpress and a hosting service and leaving SmugMug. If you decide to offer a pro service for real business and be a behind the scenes vendor like my other vendors- please let me know. You have to decide if you want MY business or just partner with me as a marketing tool to my end customers. I'm not interested in the latter- thanks

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a PROFESSIONAL, I HATE that I am forced to advertise SmugMug on my web site. I pay for WordPress themes, plug-ins, shopping cart services, and more on my web site and none of them require an ugly, unprofessional advertisement. It makes my web site look amateurish and customers think I'm using a free service. For God's sake, allow us to remove the stupid link and keep it on the free or low-end accounts.

I was really close to signing up (2 days left on trial), but not having full control over look and feel along with the cat and mouse game they are playing with customers on this one makes me doubt the company priorities are in order. I'm seeing a lot of people mentioning Zenfolio after getting frustrated with this stupid pedantry. Going there now.

This is an extremely stupid policy. And even more stupid is the dedication of programmer time to disable css fixes for this stupidity, instead of fixing real problems. It's not different than a bank insisting you post a sign on your lawn advertising the fact that they own your mortgage. I too added a 1500px bottom margin on my pages, but I'm wondering how long it will be before the SM branding police disable that as well.

This is also false advertising. SmugMug on their home page promises you complete control over your customization. If you're paying for a pro account, that's what should be delivered.

• Eric ScottEric Scott commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My clients are design professionals and having this branded footer is a deal-breaker for me. It makes my site appear unprofessional and if I can't resolve this issue, I will have to leave smugmug to find another home for my site.

fully agree! it is ridiculous that the branding cannot be removed when you pay for an account. looks very unprofessional! Together with other limitations for customization, I seriously doubt that I will renew my account after the first year.

• Shared GroundShared Ground commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. To manage this issue, I have customised a 60-100px 'Bottom Margin' which pushes the footer out of site for most client viewings.

• Josh BJosh B commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree completely. I'm currently deciding between SmugMug and Zenfolio, and while I may still end up on SmugMug (haven't paid for either yet) this forced branding is absolutely a negative that's made the decision take longer.

I'm not a seasoned pro with an established brand or anything. It should be obvious though, that people like photographers care a lot about controlling the visual presentation of their stuff. That's on top of branding concerns.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base