I suggest you ...

Offer the same print sizes/services that your print labs do. All of them.

We have a client who wants to order hundreds of 4x4 prints.
Our Smugmug site is connected to Bayphoto.
Bayphoto offers 4x4 prints.
Smugmug does not allow 4x4 prints.

We just lost a sale, Smugmug just lost a sale.

Bayphoto offers many print sizes that we cannot offer through our Smugmug site.

Is it really that difficult to allow all of the lab's print sizes to be printed through the Smugmug site?

58 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • JessicaJessica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

And wow, Bay Photography has so many more sizes and options than I can see at SmugMug! Check out this link: https://www.bayphoto.com/prints/photographic-prints/

I would love to have all those options available through SmugMug! Since they aren't, maybe I should just do my orders through Bay Photography directly... but still, I'd like to have those options available on SmugMug for other people to buy.

• JessicaJessica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bay Photography's website shows that they do offer gatorboar (and other) mountings for a 15x20 print, so why doesn't that option show up through SmugMug? That's the perfect size for photos from compact cameras at a 3x4 aspect ratio. I guess I have to go spend my money at Bay Photography directly instead of through SmugMug.

• Dan ThubronDan Thubron commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes! In the UK we can't offer any merchandise such as phone cases etc through Smugmug yet...When will the UK labs offer these? Please make this happen!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also just noticed that Smugmug offers Satin, Mid Gloss, and High Gloss for Metal Prints, but Bay Photography offers those AND offers Sheer Matte and Sheer Gloss. If the orders are being fulfilled by Bay Photography, why can't we have all of those options? I don't get it.

Yes please offer as many options as possible! For instance, I see that Bay Photo offers a wood print with a white base layer of ink first, and I think some of my photos might look good in that style. But through SmugMug, I can only offer the kind where the wood shows through, and I don't like that idea as much. Why aren't both offered?

Yes, please! BayPhoto's site offers lots of options that I don't see on SmugMug.

• StretchStretch commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am yet to fully play with the service but it certainly seems like more fine grained control over what products are available is required for sure.

• Jeff JohnsonJeff Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a constant struggle and forces me to create orders outside of SmugMug, causing more time and hassle. Having consistency between labs and offerings is huge. I use both Bay and WHCC and both send e-mails with great offers, ways to use products, etc, but then those items or only some show up in SmugMug. It makes way more work to try and keep straight what is offered and what is not and then a somewhat unprofessional discussion with a client about why they can't order through your normal storefront on SmugMug. An example just the other day- customer bought a wood print, but SmugMug only offers natural, not the white from Bay. Both are the same price point, but only Natural is offered. This causes photographers to even assess their images that are sold because I have some with a lot of clouds or B&W which might be great on a white background wood print, but not with the wood grain showing through, so now I need to remove those prints from the price lists so wood doesn't get ordered for prints that won't provide optimal printing. Lost sales, more frustration, more work. I asked Bay and WHCC about this as well and they say their hands are tied and it's up to SmugMug to offer the products.

Feedback and Knowledge Base