I suggest you ...

Pay what you want

It would be great to offer a pay-what-you-want feature specifically for the pricing of the download.
This should also include an option for minimum pricing.

This concept has shown to be efficient especially with very diverse customers, such as schoolkids, students, workers and academics.
Mostly it leads to follow the inner need for fair pricing.

It is also be great in combination with charity promotions campaigns.

40 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    StefanStefan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • StefanStefan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That would be a great feature and definitely a reason for me to change my shop and portfolio to SmugMug

• DmitryDmitry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see a pay what you want system for downloads and prints. Have the user be able to select how much they want to pay for downloads - from zero to whatever and the ability to select how much they want to pay for prints - from 'at cost' to whatever mark-up. Also, it would be nice to have a charity component in there where there is an option for the account owner to set up a link to a charity the money will be given to - SmugMug can partner with a few major ones to make it easy. The obscure ones will probably have to be handled directly by the account owner for ease of administration.

• Peter St. GeorgePeter St. George commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For pro accounts, have an coupon option that allows customers to choose their own price above cost level. For instance, I have many friends and family that I would like to sell my photos to at cost, but they would like me to profit. I would like them to decide their price. This is similar to what Radiohead did on their most recent album- http://boingboing.net/2007/09/30/radiohead-lets-fans.html

Feedback and Knowledge Base