I suggest you ...

Allow custom easy navigation URLs for galleries

Please allow users to create plain-English URL paths for galleries so that when I send a link to the gallery to friends and family they are easy to read and navigate to.

Instead of: http://username.smugmug.com/gallery/2845309_3mUwC/3/536188054_XAzKR
http://username.smugmug.com/vacation

It would be best if a custom URL could point directly to Gallery, Lightbox, or Slideshow mode

98 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jay HaldermanJay Halderman shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Adam Jason PhotographyAdam Jason Photography commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this is more of an amusing anecdote than a gripe, but this seemed like a good thread/feature to voice it; I created a new gallery a few months back and got some key/id along the lines of 536188054_xpDog - I had to delete it and try again, as I didn't think the models I was sharing photos with would appreciate "DOG" in their URL :P
        Maybe an option to regenerate album IDs on the new gallery dialog ;)

• RandyHIRandyHI commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow custom easy navigation URLs to IMAGES! Gosh, it is like pulling nails to figure out what zillion character code you created from our simple IMG_3482 file name!

• omonra21omonra21 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

vanity url "feature" is crap. Users should not have to maintain tables with urls - this is what we pay smugmug for. We don't want to run and maintain our websites, that's why we chose smugmug and not gallery.

• alex.bwalex.bw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Vanity URLs are an unnecessarily hacky workaround.
        Long alphanumeric strings in the URL box are ugly, and I'm trying to present a clean and professional face on my website. I believe very strongly this should be a basic feature.

• LichtenHansenLichtenHansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Easy navigation URL's for galleries and Images is most wanted. Vanity URL's are not SEO-friendly, so I would like to see a SEO-friendly implementation of Easy navigation URL’s.

• jfriendjfriend commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is already doable with the vanity URL piece of javascript. Search the dgrin forums for vanity URL and you can find out how to do this.

Feedback and Knowledge Base