I suggest you ...

Rights Managed Stock

I'd like to the ability to offer Rights Managed Stock with immediate download. The client should be able to select:
-Region
-Country
-Usage Terms with sub-categories
-Dimensions
-Duration of license & circulation

230 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Adam Schallau shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While I would love, love this ... not with the fee structure at SmugMug. I would love to sell stock photos and stock footage (if they added the stock calculator) - instead, I currently offer my catalog online and finish the process/sale offline.

It seems excessive to take 15% of the profit. If I sell a license for $350 for example on a video download, SmugMug takes $52.50! I already pay them $250 per year for the site/service. I can do this offline and pay 0.00 if I invoice my client or just under 3%.

It's already discouraging how much I pay on a print sale (which is why those are primarily done offline as well) - I'm not a fan of the double dipping fees! (annual + 15% ... 3-5% I could understand).

If the fees are adjusted, add a stock calculator!!

• mj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a must-have for the company I work for, and unfortunately we will not be able to use SmugMug unless it's introduced. I love what I've seen of SmugMug's design, flexibility and ease of use, but I'm now having to look at the competitors who offer Rights Managed licences, despite their inferior design.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I actually thought SmugMug had a Rights Managed option but unfortunately I see NOW I was wrong.

I really hope they will implant it because it will give me the opportunity to go out in the wild without having to come back and see I have missed a few sales. I don't think it will be that difficult to implant also looking at all the other products and options which are available.

Max Rive

• Petr commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just checked the options on photoshelter, my god I wish it would be implemented here. Great licence management (both RM/RF). In today's digital age, we need to have it.

• chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very, very important feature. I'm having to do too much 'hands-on' work with customers because they can't fit their usage into one of the only two categories (Personal and Commercial) that SmugMug offers. For instance, I have people who want to Educational usage (less expensive) and various levels of "Products for Resale" usage (more expensive). If the trend continues, I'll need to move the site, which would be a drag. Even allowing for a few additional "customizable" download category types would help considerably.

• Saurabh Nande commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Most awaited features for me and many other photographers. I agree with all hear that SM must support/facilitate RM sales also. Would surely be a great news for all who want to join SM but withholding due to lack of RM sale option at present.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep photoshelter may be the way for me to go, I fee sorry for you guys who have been here a long time. Rights managed would be nice too but I could live without that but the branding issue----fo ge a bout it.

• Paul Smit commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I like your service very much and probably go with you into the doubling of your pro price, because I like the visible beauty of what is offered, the great customer service and the idea to keep out of the hands of investors.

By doubling the Pro price tag you cannot allow yourself anymore to have amateur licensing for digital downloads.

It cannot be that hard. You have top programmers and offering professional licensing is just a simple database with "if - then" questions. Just have a look at Alamy. Smugmug is MUCH better, but Alamy has rights managed licenses that work well. Just look at it and copy it; it is one day work for your programmers.

I earn a living from selling rights managed photos to magazines and book editors (I hardly do sell any prints). I would DREAM doing that from my Smugmug website (and some of my clients would like it, too, since their workflow would become simpler), but it is impossible, because your "Commercial Photo Licence" is rubbish. I had one sale via Smugmug, but I had to sign a contract that the license my client had to sign online (to be able to download the picture) was non-valid.

It is un-professional for me to have to say to clients that if they want to buy online they have to ignore the license they agree to and sign a true license with me. So I do all of my sales outside of Smugmug, which causes that it misses its 15%. The price hike shows Smugmug needs money, so get this right and you have my 15% each time...

• Shadi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i was about to sign up for a Pro account , and realized that the pricelists do not have a rights managed license calculator and pricing tool. unfortunately this is a deal breaker for me.

• Art Minds commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Giving photographers customization options for licensing terms and condition, and at a minimum a simplified licensing model for Royalty Free along with a multiple named Light Box feature would be a good start. I believe it would be a competition killer also.

Come on SmugMug, you can do it! You're my heroes!

• Richard Stine commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

...I'm done with prints for sale. Made my living for 40 years selling prints. Would love to have a way to sell use rights to my images though, rights and prices I control. This would be a great addition to SmugMug's services. I just downgraded my membership...but would gladly upgrade to Pro again if this service was offered at a fair price.

• mwphoto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yep, just looked at photoshelter, they are offering exactly what I want but they are charging too much for it.. c'mon SmugMug. you have a chance to really jump a lead here.. + you get a cut of sales revenue so higher sales prices equates to more for you too!

• mwphoto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This very issue is the only thing stopping me from jumping on board with Smugmug.. I do NOT want to sell my imagery at flat low prices, but I do not want to price small users out.. Pricing SHOULD be usage based if we so choose, and smugmug needs to incorporate this system.. It cannot be too hard for them to do!

• Lori Carey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Integration with PLUS system, a pricing matrix and shopping cart would be wonderful. A partnership with someone like LicenseStream, which would add the ability to track/manage licenses, etc. would really make this a winner. Love smugmug, have been here for years, but this is a serious shortcoming for me.

• Hans Rupert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, we need to be able to use more sophisticated, and standardized licenses - like the ones ASMP uses.

• Marjo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

To use smugmug as a pro this would absolutely be needed. Smugmug is great for prints, but face it, it doesn't work for stock sales in the real world. Really hope that the download section cold at least be expanded so that we could add "customized" licenses (like you can do in exposuremanager) if a photoshelter style dropbox solution is not possible.

• Hans Rupert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, as long as we're all dreaming here, it would be really nice to be able to have the XMP data from the uploaded files be included in the licensing terms as well. I use the PLUS system ( http://www.useplus.com ).

Also, I think the current system needs to be changed so that the buyer MUST AGREE to the current Terms & Conditions at the very least before being able to get a download link, and even better yet would be the ability to UPLOAD a custom Terms & Conditions file for each job that has to be agreed to instead of just the generic one.

I've spoken to my IP attorney, and he indicated that the current SmugMug Terms & Conditions handling DOES NOT protect the actual photographers at all in court; it only protects SmugMug.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A lightbox feature deserves its own thread - * For commercial shoot proofing, password protected galleries with a "my favorites" (ie, Lightbox) to allow clients to cull a shoot and rate/comment on the ones they'd like us to further process and then save/share/send their selects to us. In an ideal world, the proofing component would the user to compare multiple images side-by-side, drag/drop the photos into their chosen priority order, zoom in

• suephotos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I desperately need this feature. I like Smugmug's ease of use, and I'd love to use it more to market my concert and travel photography, but it's really only an all-in-one site for *consumer* photography (wedding, portrait, and art prints.) Without the ability to sell Rights Managed images, SmugMug has very limited utility in selling editorial or commercial photography.

• Anthony Powell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is the only reason I have not included licensing in my prices, there is simply not enough control or flexibility. All it would take would be a few extra check boxes and pricing levels.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base