I suggest you ...

let us have a self-fulfillment print order capability

SM's fulfillment is very swish. Problem is it's only valid for US people - printing costs and lead times make orders for EU customers prohibitively expensive.

I know several other would like this feature, and like many others, I've been playing around with paypal payments (there's a good thread on dgrin about it). Problem is, well, it's paypal and doesn't give the photographer / seller the option to view an order before receiving payment.

Google has a far better order processing system, but doesn't support logistics; a third party shopping cart is required and that costs money!

So, why not open up SM's excellent print ordering system so that SM members can receive an order via email and manage the fulfillment themselves? :)

Being based in the UK, I'm not losing out on people not being able to buy my photos easily and because of that, I fear I may cancel my SM renewal because it's a real showstopper for me...

1,882 votes
Sign in
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    XavierXavier shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    JoshJosh shared a merged idea: Offer the option of selling self-fulfilled products.  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Offer self-fulfill option, along with a lower transaction fee  ·   · 
    Jimmy MatloszJimmy Matlosz shared a merged idea: Self Fulfillment: my concern is selling prints that I will never see, or interact with. DPI does matter  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Photoshelter has one up on Smugmug.  ·   · 
    paul topolpaul topol shared a merged idea: Can I print myself?  ·   · 
    David OwenDavid Owen shared a merged idea: Gift Vouchers for Photo Sessions  ·   · 
    Carla JoCarla Jo shared a merged idea: allow us to sell original stuff and 'write it in' with pricelists  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: to please allow photogrpto please allow photographers to use their own pahers to use their own print labs and let them fill their own orders  ·   · 
    BeamieBeamie shared a merged idea: Allow us to sell our own prints  ·   · 
    TheModelShoppeTheModelShoppe shared a merged idea: Manual Additions to Pricing - custom self-fulfilled products  ·   · 
    dclphotodclphoto shared a merged idea: allow local printing option  ·   · 
    Randy SoopRandy Soop shared a merged idea: Allow self fulfillment  ·   · 
    MRudlandMRudland shared a merged idea: I suggest a "fill in the blank" area in the shopping cart where we can add a product we want  ·   · 
    Walter James PhotographyWalter James Photography shared a merged idea: An independent shopping cart is required of the photographers choice and currency ie in the UK...  ·   · 
    Amber FlowersAmber Flowers shared a merged idea: Custom products/items and ability to sell sessions etc  ·   · 
    Joe AllenJoe Allen shared a merged idea: "E-Mail it" button on shopping cart page.  ·   · 
    Heather AdamsHeather Adams shared a merged idea: allow us to charge for self fulfilled items through SmugMug (sitting fees, DVD Slideshows, etc.)  ·   · 

Sign in
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      • IvanIvan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Totally i sell my photos as acrylic face mounts and none of the vendors have that quality, and also I print in Mexico for my mexican customers so as of now i haven't sold anything on my SM account and i'm thinking of going to Shopify for that.

• JayJay commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I definitely want to add my voice to the call for a self fulfillment option on SmugMug!

The reasons are quite clear:
        1. I would really prefer to support local businesses. After all, if I'm trying to operate my own photography business and would very much like local support it's only fair and reasonable that I conduct myself the same way and support them.

2. The cost of processing my photos, whether it's a simple print, canvas or a coffee mug is less expensive in southern Ontario (Canada). In turn I could offer a more reasonable price to potential customers and attract more business. SmugMug's 4 processing choices are too expensive!

I am already checking out other options for hosting my photography website and e-commerce. SmugMug needs to allow the self fulfillment option QUICKLY!

• JoshJosh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Allow photographers to use local labs to fulfill orders of their products. the photographer would have to take care of the shipping then but we could use the lab of our choice. I have local labs that provide a superior product for a much more competitive price and would like to be able to order through them.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After years and years with SmugMug, I'm having to leave because there is no self-fulfillment option and, if I decided to use the partner lab, a whopping 15% is shaved off the selling price.

For 300USD/year, there really needs to be a properly-implemented self-fulfillment option with a much lower transaction fee (something like 5%). This could include a limit on Web space, as there would be no need to upload full-size images.

I'd guess that most people would stick with the current fulfillment options, but some of us really would prefer to deal with a local lab of our own choice, and be able to personally check product quality without paying for two lots of shipping.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've just been reviewing other providers. I don't really want to switch to another provider, but this is becoming a real headache. I'm finding that I'm actually directing sales away from the smugmug site, rather than encouraging clients to order online, so that it feels more professional than, for example, splitting an order into online prints and self-fulfilled options that I like to include in packages, or trying to find a workaround to include both in a single online payment. PLEASE offer something that will fix this.

As a Canadian SmugMug customer, this is the only area that keeps me looking for another host provider. I know that there are some companies out there that allow self fulfillment, and there are workarounds, but I like what SmugMug offers. I would even be willing to pay a small fee to cover the lost revenue from the commission or kickback that SmugMug now gets from there fulfillment partners.

• Steve BrowneSteve Browne commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Need self fulfillment with prints, just paid $200 aust for a pro account and have just found out about this major problem, if this feature isn't forthcoming or a list of Australian printers then I will have to cut my loses and move to another host.

Love this idea. I am in Australia. Clients of mine are hesitant to order from online because they don't want to pay International Postage Rates, particularly when they are in my local area. I fear that I will have to change the whole backend of my websites which I don't really want to do.

Happy to pay SM a small commission to process the order through to me so that i can use my local supplier or

They could partner with a local supplier here in Australia as they do for Bay Photos etc

To the point....this needs to happen or I will be leaving smug mug. This has been a topic for years now and don't see anything happening.

• KevorkKevork commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I live in Canada, and I absolutely want to have the ability to sell my own prints. I guess if this feature is not added soon, I'll have to consider moving my site to another place.
        Come on SmugMug, you can do it!

I live in Australia and have the same issues. I love SM because it's so intuitive and easy to set up but it absolutely needs a local print capability.

This should be easy Smug Mug... or are you more interested in squeezing a little more cash out of the labs you promote? You charge enough as it is and call my account a "Pro" account. How about giving us this "Pro" feature?

1700+ folks want it... Are you listening?

I've been waiting for this feature for ages and it is still not implemented to date. If smugmug is not going to do something about it then i might have to look elsewhere although i've been with smugmug for quite awhile :(

What up with not offering this service? I have to go to Zen Folio? I am a loyal Smug Mug user. You're great. I want to have another site to sell photos that I print and sign and send to clients. Please make this available soon. Unless you're afraid to lose the lab business you set up---hmmm, that has to be it.
        Well, charge us a little off the top or something.
        Please soon!

• Aaron YatesAaron Yates commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a long-time SM customer but I can't live without self-fulfillment any longer. It's a shame, too, because I do thousands of dollars in sales every year and I don't really want to move. But I can't get certain items through the SM partners printing services. At least, not at a competitive price. So I'll be gone after this year is up unless they change this. Even if we had to implement our own cart, I'd be okay with that.

• JoyeJoye commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes self fulfillment is on my list as well. Please with sugar on top.

YES YES YES! Self fufillment is extremely important to my business and I'll eventually move on from Smugmug if it isn't implemented. I'd like it set up similar to Etsy where artwork on various mediums can be sold and self fulfilled. This would make smugmug websites much more appealing to all artists, not just photographers.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 9 10

Feedback and Knowledge Base