I suggest you ...

Privacy groups with separate passwords, with access to specific galleries

Give users the ability to create groups with arbitrary 'labels' e.g. : family, friends, work colleagues, parents, etc.

Allow a different password to be set for each of these groups, and perhaps even some generic settings (what size photos they get to see, for example)

In gallery settings allow a tick box to tick which 'groups' may see this gallery. (include an "all" tick box too)

When someone goes to the site, they type in the password they were given, which is the one of the group they're in. Then they get to see only what galleries have been checked for their given group with the settings assigned to their group (e.g. can only seem small photos).

1,672 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Michael KMichael K shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    RicoRico shared a merged idea: Incorporate a "Vendor" login for sharing photos with other event vendors  ·   · 
    BrandonBrandon shared a merged idea: client login page  ·   · 
    WalkerWalker shared a merged idea: Gallery log in, as well as password protection  ·   · 
    ArsenyArseny shared a merged idea: allow proof view by typing in password  ·   · 
    gkmeyergkmeyer shared a merged idea: Client Login or Password Portal Page  ·   · 
    skibum4skibum4 shared a merged idea: Allow for the unlocking of gallery max image size restrictions with password.  ·   · 
    JWIJWI shared a merged idea: Make it possible to create multiple passwords for galleries, to send to new clients.  ·   · 
    Francois RocheleauFrancois Rocheleau shared a merged idea: Allow automatic access to password-protected Galleries when viewing password set  ·   · 
    Francois RocheleauFrancois Rocheleau shared a merged idea: Make 'Viewing password' override Individual Gallery Password  ·   · 
    ChristopherChristopher shared a merged idea: Password Portal  ·   · 
    Cal WilliamsCal Williams shared a merged idea: Allow multiple concurrent passwords on a gallery (or several galleries)  ·   · 
    Sean HoytSean Hoyt shared a merged idea: multiple gallery access levels  ·   · 
    YinkaYinka shared a merged idea: Create a single sign-on page for password protected galleries  ·   · 

109 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Mike H.Mike H. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this would be great! I like the idea of being able to generally set galleries so that sharing is turned off (eg, no "right-click enabled"), but have select viewers be able to download pictures. This suggestion is even more detailed than I had in mind, but it's all a great idea. One could have one set of galleries, then have unlisted pages where friends can download for free, and pages that are viewable and searchable by the public, but do not offer downloads (at least, not without paying). Good idea.

• Rich TiltonRich Tilton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love something like this. I am shooting ice hockey games. I want to offer free download for the parents from my daughter's team but sell to the opposing team. I do not want to make separate galleries or use another program (i.e. google+). I need to offer a password which would allow the free download while checking out.

• Greg MooreGreg Moore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too am wanting one site to post both private and public photos. Currently sending e-mail links, but I'm sure that will become more involved as time goes on. Help Smugmug Help

• SeahorseSeahorse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i thought after the "amazing" upgrade, i will be able to create different usergroup giving each usergroup different gallery access and resolution. disappointing that number 1 request is not even considered.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After all the hoopla about the improved privacy management in the new SM, no real improvements! Why is it still not possible to limit the assistant's access to only selected folders/galleries? User groups and custom privileges are absolutely essential - especially for those who use the site to store work and personal content!! Are you listening, SmugMug?? 4 years since this request was posted, and no action??? Shame...

• Dee SavoyDee Savoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just had a chat with a SM Hero about this exact issue! I want to share photos with various groups of people, and have them ONLY be able to see what I want them to. Sharegroups allow you to share specific galleries, but it's just a flat view of chosen galleries. I want to maintain the look / feel / organization of my site.

Can anyone recommend another photo site that does this? I'm not sure I want to continue paying for SmugMug if I can't do this.

As for the option some are recommending of setting various gallery passwords to the same thing on every gallery you want a person to have access to, apparently that only works within 1 category!

I don't want to have to send my friends a link for every new event or trip. I just want them to all be able to get into the 'Friends' category galleries, and NOT into my Family category galleries (for example).

Cummon, SmugMug.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous. Been waiting for years, and they've not even started on this.
        I'm looking into SM alternatives at this very moment.

• MeghanMeghan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a complete failure on the part of Smugmug and why I will be moving away when my current subscription expires. I want people to be able to see one gallery and not all the others. You can "hide owner," but then you lose all of your site's formatting! Ridiculous.

• espmespm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

second request on the list, but no answer... where are all the "heroes"?

• espmespm commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i'm looking for alternative just for this... sm, you're missing the train

• scottybscottyb commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's clear the smugmug don't take into consideration that people have stopped using them because of this simple feature.

• j.slahorekj.slahorek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After 3 years of using SM now I'm seriously contemplaiting going somewhere else just because of this. The waiting gets too long!

• Erik IErik I commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No comments for 13 months regarding this feature request?

I have been using SM since 05 but I now have so many passwords for so many different people (family/friends/coworkers/kids sport teams etc) its now become a total mess. My parents/grandparents (= "full access") now have so many passwords they dont bother to log in unless I specifically send them an email each time.

I dont know why SM dont care about this feature. Now that Im able to DL zip file of my images I may not renew next year.

• AlAl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I canceled my account now for this reason and am looking for an alternative. Will try Zenfolio next.

• KaserKaser commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand how hard it is to implement this simple feature request. I want my family to be able to enter in a password that will show them certain galleries. I want my friends to be able to enter a password that will show them certain galleries. How complicated is that? Instead of creating sharegroups and having to have everyone bookmark the sharegroup URL. So dumb. This is why I'm thinking I'm not gonna renew my subscription after it runs out.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base