I suggest you ...

iPhone jpeg metadata

The use of metadata is limited on the iPhone. If I take the picture and upload via my PC, I lose my caption and labels, or if I upload directly with Smugshots, I lose the camera's metadata!

More specifically:

1) The app doesn't appear to upload all of the metadata to Smugmug (eg date/time picture taken).

2) Would be great to save tags/labels and caption in the JPEG metadata for when the photo is transferred back to the computer.

21 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    therealbrettherealbret shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Completed  ·  Anne BeanAnne Bean responded  · 

Thanks for your patience and feedback. A new version of smugshot is now available, which retains metadata such as camera type and geodata.

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • NygrenNygren commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

A way to solve this until it is fixed is to upload images and videos through the free Pixelpipe app found on the app store. However, currently Smugmug uploading through Pixelpipe is disabled due to changes made in the Smugmug API.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If the smugshots application did what the IPicasso iphone application does for google images on Picasa Web Albums it would really be fantastic! I could select multiple files from the iphone library and upload with geotag info intact.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In particular the metadata missing is geotag information. Smugshots only retains geotag info when you take it and immediately select to upload it. Shots already taken and residing in the iphone library have the EXIF data stripped out when smugshots upload it. Additionally when smugshots saves the picture to the iphone library it apparently strips out the geotag information as the iphone places function doesn't show any geotag info for pictures smugshot saves to the library.

Feedback and Knowledge Base