I suggest you ...

Allow an optional proof delay on Digital Downloads

Pros would be able to set a proof delay on DD's. As it is now if a customer orders a DD they get whatever is uploaded even if it's an untouched proof. Wouldn't it be nice to approve images before they're pulled down?

708 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Eric PierceyEric Piercey shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Marleen Van den NesteMarleen Van den Neste shared a merged idea: offer a proof delay option for the sale of digital files.  ·   · 
    Bryon NovotnyBryon Novotny shared a merged idea: have digital downloads go into a proof delay just like ordered photos so that one can have digital downloads for large galleries  ·   · 

79 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • VincentVincent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely a feature Smugmug HAVE to add. Especially since that whatever pricelist you have setup can transfer to any new gallery and photos you add to your archive. I didn't know I had selling setup on my photos until I receive an email that someone bought a photo of mine for commercial license...for $1 !! Not cool.

• Brad BarlowBrad Barlow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. What's up? Seriously. Hello?

SmugMug rocks. I love it. My site looks awesome and gets great SEO.

I'm writing this on Easter so I'll put it like this: "I'd love to have all my eggs in one basket." But until DD proof delay is available, I'm using a separate site for my ecommerce. Just let me know when this gets added and I'm 100% back on board. I mean, you know... 0% commission would be sweet too. But my hold-up is DD proof delay.

• Mark TassoniMark Tassoni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am this will be addressed. I can't see a reason why it would not be an option. Considering the amount of downloads I sell, this is a deal breaker for my business.

• Mark TassoniMark Tassoni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this one perplexes me. As a school portrait photographer, I do not bother to do any touch ups until the photo is bought.

As I evaluate Smugmug for my business this Fall, I am really surprised that they haven't shown any forward thinking at all with respect to the school portrait model. those preorder forms are such a thing of the past. How can we possibly to touch ups on any sold digital downloads if these can't be added into proof delay with prints.

As ****** as Zenfolio is, I can't imagine ever switching to Smugmug because of this grave oversight. Makes you wonder.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It seems I am not alone in this!
        As a wedding photographer I usually add 500+ images to a gallery which are screen-res. Good enough as 'proofs' but I want the opportunity to go hi-res when a customer orders. It works with prints of course so why not DD!?
        With this in place perhaps I would upload hi-res files initially - have the watermark added on site (rather than the branding I apply to my proofs) & that becomes a cloud back-up too. I could still offer clients the option of a straight download (no retouching) or enhanced.

The lack of this functionality is REALLY causing me headaches. Is there any update on when it will be added?

• TimTim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's hard to tell the age of this thread. Today is 7/14/15 and I'm trying to find out if there is the ability to have a proof delay on DD. It would seem, according to this thread, that it still has not happened. But ...

So I'll add my vote, and wonder.

Please please please add proof delay for DDs. I have created my own work-around for this but it is inconvenient both for me and my customers. As soon as possible after I receive notice of a digital download order, I email the correct DD directly to my customer. I put a note in each of my galleries that this will happen but it's easy for the customer to miss the note and end up confused.

Hello SmugMug, over 600 people really want a proof delay on digital downloads!! Please add this feature. Thanks

I'm surprised to find out this isn't in place. Going to have to rethink my process and where I put my images. Very sad. I'm going to have to remove DD which is my best seller.

Hello SmugMug. Any update on this? I love my SmugMug website's look and Google SEO and I'm glad to be a customer. It's just a few features and options away from being perfect for me. I need digital download proof delay for the exact same reason others use print proof delay. So for now, I don't offer digital downloads. Missed sale for me, missed commission for SmugMug.

To me this is the one major flaw with the SmugMug system....If adding hundreds of photos from an event, there really should be a digital download proof delay so you can upload them all in the unedited format. Disappointed to see that this was suggested 6 YEARS AGO on here, now has 660 votes but still hasn't been done. It's forcing me to look at other options away from SmugMug I'm afraid :/

The UX FreyPhotos has in mind sounds like a good idea. Instantly make low-res files available and "proof delay" bigger ones. I shoot sports photos. I'll load 300 from a game and maybe sell up to 20. I'd rather give the big gallery quick post processing and then only take time to perfect the ones that sell. I can do this with prints, but I think more and more people would rather buy the digitals. I don't want them downloading my ******* edits. And I might as well not upload only fullsize files (upload time, storage space) when 90% aren't going to sell.

• FreyPhotosFreyPhotos commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Aaron, I'm glad to hear this. Is this something we can expect soon and is "planned?" I think I speak for most of us. We don't need anything fancy. I just want to be able to replace a photo with a processed hi-res digital file and sell the hi-res original size file, just like I do with "Proof Delay." I sell an incredible amount of low-res/web-based digital downloads and this eats at me all the time the potential profits I am missing out on. I had to turn down a customer just 2 days ago, knowing he was willing to pay $55 for the original file. I would like the ability for each digital download offered, to set in "gallery settings" and apply to the entire site and save as "quick settings," the ability to either make the file immediately available for download or to have it delayed for processing. Low-Res/web-based files, for example, I would make immediately available for download, while "Hi_res" and "Original" files I would have it delayed for processing, as well as any commercial license digital download. I appreciate you responding and certainly hope this highly requested feature isn't that much farther off and is in the works. Thank you!

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base