I suggest you ...

Allow an optional proof delay on Digital Downloads

Pros would be able to set a proof delay on DD's. As it is now if a customer orders a DD they get whatever is uploaded even if it's an untouched proof. Wouldn't it be nice to approve images before they're pulled down?

723 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Eric PierceyEric Piercey shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dana NicholsDana Nichols shared a merged idea: Allow proof delay on digital dowloads, at least high res downloads  ·   · 
    Marleen Van den NesteMarleen Van den Neste shared a merged idea: offer a proof delay option for the sale of digital files.  ·   · 
    Bryon NovotnyBryon Novotny shared a merged idea: have digital downloads go into a proof delay just like ordered photos so that one can have digital downloads for large galleries  ·   · 

85 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dana NicholsDana Nichols commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really wish you would allow proof delay, at least on the high resolution digital downloads. I'd prefer to upload a small jpeg for proofs so I don't have to process photos unless sold (and save dramatically on uploading times). But it makes me nervous that the high res digital downloads will go with no processing. I'd love it if both the web size and high res dowloads had that option, but especially the high res. Most of my folks now would actually prefer to have downloads rather than prints.

• RickRick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am completely unhappy with the company I'm currently with. DD Proof Delay is the only thing that SmugMug is lacking. I would gladly go back if this were added. Your customer service is SO much better, it would be worth the extra cash!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE add this feature. My number of digital sales has dropped dramatically since I've started using proof delay (because digital download is not on the price list, no one knows it's available).

• SherrySherry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am also stunned that this feature is not already in place for pros. We really need proof delay for digital downloads!!

• Shawn M. KnoxShawn M. Knox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For those that say you can just send them the files separately, yeah sure, that works but it isn't very professional. If a client orders digital files they except to have the highest quality they can get when they're notified that their files are ready and I would too. This is very amateurish. Unfortunately, this is what we're stuck with. This has caused me to reassess smug mug and potentially look for another option when my year is up. Also, they really need to change the name of the company. Catchy yes . . . professional? Absolutely not.

• VincentVincent commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely a feature Smugmug HAVE to add. Especially since that whatever pricelist you have setup can transfer to any new gallery and photos you add to your archive. I didn't know I had selling setup on my photos until I receive an email that someone bought a photo of mine for commercial license...for $1 !! Not cool.

• Brad BarlowBrad Barlow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi. What's up? Seriously. Hello?

SmugMug rocks. I love it. My site looks awesome and gets great SEO.

I'm writing this on Easter so I'll put it like this: "I'd love to have all my eggs in one basket." But until DD proof delay is available, I'm using a separate site for my ecommerce. Just let me know when this gets added and I'm 100% back on board. I mean, you know... 0% commission would be sweet too. But my hold-up is DD proof delay.

• Mark TassoniMark Tassoni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am this will be addressed. I can't see a reason why it would not be an option. Considering the amount of downloads I sell, this is a deal breaker for my business.

• Mark TassoniMark Tassoni commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

this one perplexes me. As a school portrait photographer, I do not bother to do any touch ups until the photo is bought.

As I evaluate Smugmug for my business this Fall, I am really surprised that they haven't shown any forward thinking at all with respect to the school portrait model. those preorder forms are such a thing of the past. How can we possibly to touch ups on any sold digital downloads if these can't be added into proof delay with prints.

As ****** as Zenfolio is, I can't imagine ever switching to Smugmug because of this grave oversight. Makes you wonder.

It seems I am not alone in this!
        As a wedding photographer I usually add 500+ images to a gallery which are screen-res. Good enough as 'proofs' but I want the opportunity to go hi-res when a customer orders. It works with prints of course so why not DD!?
        With this in place perhaps I would upload hi-res files initially - have the watermark added on site (rather than the branding I apply to my proofs) & that becomes a cloud back-up too. I could still offer clients the option of a straight download (no retouching) or enhanced.

The lack of this functionality is REALLY causing me headaches. Is there any update on when it will be added?

• TimTim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's hard to tell the age of this thread. Today is 7/14/15 and I'm trying to find out if there is the ability to have a proof delay on DD. It would seem, according to this thread, that it still has not happened. But ...

So I'll add my vote, and wonder.

Please please please add proof delay for DDs. I have created my own work-around for this but it is inconvenient both for me and my customers. As soon as possible after I receive notice of a digital download order, I email the correct DD directly to my customer. I put a note in each of my galleries that this will happen but it's easy for the customer to miss the note and end up confused.

Hello SmugMug, over 600 people really want a proof delay on digital downloads!! Please add this feature. Thanks

I'm surprised to find out this isn't in place. Going to have to rethink my process and where I put my images. Very sad. I'm going to have to remove DD which is my best seller.

← Previous 1 3 4 5

Feedback and Knowledge Base