I suggest you ...

Allow an optional proof delay on Digital Downloads

Pros would be able to set a proof delay on DD's. As it is now if a customer orders a DD they get whatever is uploaded even if it's an untouched proof. Wouldn't it be nice to approve images before they're pulled down?

639 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Eric PierceyEric Piercey shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Marleen Van den NesteMarleen Van den Neste shared a merged idea: offer a proof delay option for the sale of digital files.  ·   · 
    Bryon NovotnyBryon Novotny shared a merged idea: have digital downloads go into a proof delay just like ordered photos so that one can have digital downloads for large galleries  ·   · 

60 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • lynne.glazerlynne.glazer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can't believe it's 2014 and I'm still handling digital orders in e-mail. I will never ever allow unprocessed proofs to land in customer hands, and the suggestion to simply send them a prepped version does not mean they'll know how or remember to delete that proof off of their drives.

• CornelCornel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is pretty much a deal breaker for me and signing up to Smugmug as my current provider sends cart orders direct to myself, so I am free to edit and send out the .jpgs when I am ready to do so. There isnt a 7day limit as with the current print proof delay either. I would like an option that I can specify an email address that overrides the buyer email address so effectively the images that they choose would be sent to me and not to the buyer, leaving me free to carry out touch ups and email out.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

can you note that another pro has requested a delay option? I understand it would have to have some kind of disclaimer before the sale occured, like,
        The owner of this page has specified a 24hr delay on downloads, so click through to buy, but you will receive your download link by email in 24hrs.

• Brad BarlowBrad Barlow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't even think of one other change I'd like. If I wake up tomorrow and this update is implemented, I bet the clouds will part and I'll hear angels singing.

• Andy TylerAndy Tyler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a newbie to SmugMug Pro, I'm really, really disappointed to see that the proof delay feature only works for prints, and not digital downloads.

That just doesn't make sense. Digital downloads need editing from proof stage just as much as prints do! Please, please fix this.

Thank you,
        Andy

• RickRick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, just got an e-mail about new posts to this thread and can't believe it was almost 2 years ago I posted my need for this feature. After a year of no response I switched over to Zenfolio. Their UI is not as pretty but the e-commerce features are way more flexible and am able to do I want. I get the feeling they listen to their customers' needs better.

• Brad BarlowBrad Barlow commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. For speed I love to load lots of barely-edited photos to get the sale and then finish the edits before delivery. For prints and for digital.

• Alisha McgrawAlisha Mcgraw commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please!!! This needs to be an option, I edit images upon order and no matter how quickly I email a client who has ordered a digital down load (which I LOVE having that option to sell) they get that pesky email with the original & either complain or worse the post my unfinished work around. It would be much simpler to have the proof delay option for the digital download than it is to let them choose favorites, send a paypal invoice because I don't want them having an unedited images, and then edit the image emailing them to them. I would love to keep Smug Mug in my ordering process for digital images. Thank youuuuu (please please pretty please make this an option)

• DaveDave commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah, it appears SmugMug would rather dictate our workflow than incorporate what we really want from them as a service.

• Russell HarrisonRussell Harrison commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems like this would be trivial to implement from a technical standpoint. Delaying digital downloads should be a business decision that each photographer makes based on his needs, not one that's forced on him by an artificial limitation in the software he's using.

• HarryHarry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i suspect this will fall on deaf ears but really this should be an option as its something that will soon cause me to leave smugmug and go elsewhere even though i dont want to..

• SherrySherry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be a no-brainer if the photographer has proof-delay set for the gallery. Proof delay should apply to all purchases from the gallery--not just prints. Right now, if someone orders a dd from me, they get the unedited and then I feel obligated to email them an edited version later.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please give us the option to proof delay our downloads. I hate my coustomers getting an unedited version of my shots. I take too many to eadit each one, but the ones that are purchased need to be edited before they can download them.

Thanks, Jeff

• LesLes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jun 30, 2009???
        Yet another ancient thread without movement forward so it seems.....

Anybody know of similar service in the UK has this as a feature..?

• lynne.glazerlynne.glazer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Continuing to want this more than any smuggy enhancement. Unless you permit self-fulfillment, then I'll sell digital downloads that way.

Just can't buy Andy's argument to just send the customer a better copy, after the fact. Heck no--the unretouched DD will be UP ON FACEBOOK in minutes after delivery--comments made by viewers, the customer will never manage to upload the "keepsake" one I deliver later. That image would be there to shame me literally for all time. No thanks.

• AlexTiethofAlexTiethof commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It kind of seems like this one got shot down...so here is my .02. Andy, I hear what you are saying about customer's wanting their digital downloads now and not in days. Being the instant gratification junkie that I am, I couldn't agree more.

The other side of the coin, which I feel is just as important, is that currently that just doesn't work with the "upload all proofs now, fix and upload purchased pics later" workflow (which is brilliant!)

At this point I only do two big events a year, and after each one I come back here to check the status of this request :)

My current process is, upload low quality jpegs which save me loads of time and it saves you guys loads of space. When I get an order for a digital download I have to quickly shoot out an e-mail basically saying 'I know the picture you just downloaded looks like ****, but I will upload a nicer one when I get home"

I have been debating putting some (more) instructions up letting people know what's up, which I may end up doing anyway, but I just don't want (more) paragraphs of instructions for people.

I personally would be happy if they got the same proof delay notification they would get from ordering prints, adding that you are welcome to download the proof copy immediately and we (smugmug) will send you a cheerful e-mail when a new version has been uploaded (when the pro has "released it").

That's all. No gripes from me, I love you guys and I am quite happy...just wanted to weigh in on this.

• Matt Rondel (mattrondel.com)Matt Rondel (mattrondel.com) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Like Julie Ward I too shoot a lot of horse shows and it is critical to get the photos up and online while the memory of the event is fresh in their head. Some of these events we shoot have 100 + riders and editing before uploading just isn't an option when you need to strike when the iron is hot, if you wait then you will miss a sale.

• RickRick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Michael, I wouldn't say you are missing something but rather assuming that everyone has the same workflow as you. Your description works fine for you and you would continue to use it as it works now, but additional flexibility would accommodate others with a different workflow.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base