I suggest you ...

Partner with a European/UK lab to provide timely and cost effective print services in Europe.

Whenever I have been selling prints, customers have pulled away from the option of using the SmugMug system, due to the inconvenience (perceived) and extra cost (significant) of the order being fulfilled on the other side of the Atlantic. I always end up having to use another service to provide prints, which adds unnecessary work I'd rather not be having to do, having paid for the Pro subscription in the first place.

One way around this could be for SmugMug to partner with a European lab, so prints were charged and shipped from within Europe, reducing the shipping costs, shipping time, and unease/inconvenience regarding international transactions. It's the perception of customers regarding the US fulfilment of orders that is key, and all of mine have responded in a negative way (cost, time, etc), to the extent that I had to remove the purchasing options from my galleries to avoid confusion - they now just contact me for for prints. Very inconvenient for all involved.

So, to sum up, are there any plans for SmugMug to link with a UK or European lab, so that I/we can take full advantages of the facilities in our Pro subscriptions?

Thanks,

Dave.

1,686 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    bardbard shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    sisi shared a merged idea: allow alternate currencies! - British pound £ in particular ********!  ·   · 
    Richard PerkinsRichard Perkins shared a merged idea: A selection of euorpean print labs to choose from.  ·   · 
    Paul Someonestolemystar MarbrookPaul Someonestolemystar Marbrook shared a merged idea: With Smugmug ignoring UK fullfilment, lets use this space to tell them who we are using instead.  ·   · 

365 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Karin SchouwenburgKarin Schouwenburg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

UK is not really 'completed'.
        UK conciders itself not Europe, and postal costs from UK to the mainland is extremely rediculously high. The costs for prints are outrageous in this lab and not at all usable for the European mainland.
        So please, let's not concider this completed!

• CraigCraig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

it is a shame that you consider this now "completed". this represents a rather narrow choice for your pro customers, and nothing at all for your power users. after literally years of unkept promises, when is smugmug going to deliver?

• AlanAlan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When are you going to get a Lab in Australia i know of 2 top labs over here and would love to see you guys using one to make things faster on this side of the world

• Serge McGregSerge McGreg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please consider this just as a first step. Add more within Europe, Asia and Pacific. It would be globally awesome!

• markmark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLEASE add the ability to add music to each slideshow. I currently use Phanfare and they offer this feature. For this reason, I will have to wait to sign up with SmugMug.
        Thanks for considering!

• who me?who me? commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like a UK lab and a Hong Kong lab as well as I am based in HK. I have the same problem.

• hherskindhherskind commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, I now viewed the adjacent (horrible) promo video saying what is not said anywhere else: This European lab will only be for the SmugMug Pro customers. - I'm a simple Power costumer. - So I guess I won't benefit from this at all?

@Tricky01: I was with Zenfolio prior to SmugMug, and I was basically very happy with them. VERY easy to set up things and a brilliant backend to administer your (many) photo folders!

My needs changed, and Zenfolio changed their service plans, so I got a better offer at SmugMug. After a year I still long for Zenfolio's strightforward backend tool!

Zenfolio uses PhotoBox as their prime EU lab. It is not as good as their US partner, MPix. Meanwhile they now also use http://www.onevisionimaging.com, which might be a bit better? (Again here, you're not allowed to view prices unless registered.)

By searching the web I managed to find your Zenfolio site, http://www.simontregidgo.com/. Thanks for viewing (you use approx. the same frontpage as I did).

Btw.: Thumbnails are bigger - more pleasing - at SmugMug. Have a look: http://lumi.smugmug.com/

Well. Took you quite a bit of time to get there, didn't it!?

Next, I had to see for myself, what this is all about. Please note that the first 5/6 of everything on the site, http://www.loxleycolour.com, is highly specialized "Products" with a procuction time of no less than 3 days, normally 5. Prices seems to be too high - or low? - to be announced to the public: Please register to get this information!

On the far right side - in the 6th column - you find "Services" including what normal people would normally order: Digital prints with a production time of 1 day. That is: If you want 1 of 3 different shiny surfaces: "Lustre", "Gloss" or "Metallic". If you want some kind of Matte finish ("Press Printed Paper" or "Giclée fine art prints") you are left with no information on the production time. And of course: Please register to find out how much to pay for these services!

My guess would be that my SmugMug login will be useable as direct access to the lab. So why would I register separately?

I guess, I'm just too eager to find out. We've been waiting years, so be carm and wait just another 3 weeks. Then everything will be revealed. Possibly.

• Tricky01Tricky01 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great news, but a month too late. After looking into this back on 7th Feb (see Tricky01 comment), I then ventured forward with zenfolio.com. Have to say I'm very pleased, though probably would have given smugmug a closer look had this announcement come earlier.

Good luck to you UK/EU smugmugers, though do check out my zenfolio site if you get a chance :)

• grantgrant commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you, thank you, thank you.......... taken two years but finally you have done it... One very happy Smugmug user :)

• Reinout van ReesReinout van Rees commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just visited the loxley colour website and was put off by one thing: I can find no information on how much they cost. You have to log in (and thus create an account) before you're allowed to see prices.

My basic internet reaction on something like that is "don't touch them with a 10 foot pole". I didn't attempt to create an account, as it probably means you have to enter all your personal details including shoe size. You might not have to, but not showing prices until your have an account most often boils down to something like that.

• Tomasz NowickiTomasz Nowicki commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

People today I have been on Focus on imaging and today SmugMug has announced that they started cooperation with EU lab - starting from 23 March this year we all will be able to buy print in EU - the lab I am talking about is LOXLEY COLOUR - http://loxleycolour.com/. Great chat with Andy, Baldy and Ana. Thanks for your time and btw - AMAZING Stand!

• Jeff KingJeff King commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I hear you all saying you've renewed!!!! WHY? I've ended up with abandoning my SmugMug account (just posted a note on the header saying we've moved and giving the new link...).
        Honestly Zen is just as good and no more expensive, I believe you'll get your money back soooner than you think by using Zen.
        I think SmugMug will just lead you on.... There is no reason why they wont give an update.... See my other posts for referral code giving 10% off when you join...

• peter vooijspeter vooijs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

is my last year with smugmug have enough off it, build my new site its almost done....
        goodbye smugmug for me when i done ...

• SonjaSonja commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well written, Del! I have renewed my Pro account for another year. A leap of faith... But they got just this year to fix it otherwise it will be a European/UK provider for me. Love the SmugMug feel BUT as you said, from a business point of view it's not about how I like the feel but what makes sense for my customers. Can't wait to hear what reply you get.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 18 19

Feedback and Knowledge Base