I suggest you ...

Add pagination for top-level list of galleries.

SmugMug should add the ability to have a user's top-level list of galleries paginated. To see an example of a site where pagination is needed:

http://gallery.prwdot.org/

As you can see, I have one section on my page, "Galleries". This is a single long page section that keeps getting longer the more and more galleries I add. I don't like how long it takes that page to load, so I'd prefer it if the page was broken up into several smaller pages, with a Prev/Next indicator and links to individual pages.

SmugMug already does this in the individual gallery pages themselves, but it doesn't work at the top-level. It seems like a fairly obvious feature to have.

In the past I have complained about this to SmugMug support, and their suggestions for workarounds were:

1. Try using categories instead of a gallery link. This would result in less images to load. (This is not what I want to do at all.)
2. Try using Featured galleries to show just a few galleries near the top (also not what I want to do - I want visitors to see ALL galleries, in multiple pages, with the most recent at top).

I could theoretically do this in the client side by using jQuery to hide/show certain images, but then I'm pushing the workload onto my visitors' browsers, and I really don't want to do that. SmugMug has plenty of horsepower to spare, so I see no reason why this couldn't be handled on the server side.

22 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Peter R. Wood shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Nikola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this feature should be a top priority for Smugmug team. With just a tiny extra coding they could made a Smugmug page so much more organized.
        Some of us really expect such pagination in a near future. This would solve an issue with long lists of galleries.
        It could also be made as a Timeline, we could just choose to show last few weeks, months, years and with that also define pagination order.

• Greg Sowa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

YES! This NEEDS to be done. It's so asinine to not have this basic feature. I want people to be able to view my events by just looking at a list of the most recent ones, but they can go back through to older ones without having to figure out categories...since most people coming on our site to see photos have just been to an event within the last few weeks, not months out. BUT, as we perform at more events we're creating a page that is too freakin' slow for people to load if they have a slower connection.

It'd only take a few lines of code to paginate the main gallery listing, so I don't see why it hasn't been done yet...

example: http://photos.nhphotofunbooth.com

• Greg Wilson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have several hundred galleries, most of which are unlisted, so my site visitors don't experience the issue. However, when I go to my list of galleries, it takes FOREVER to load. PLEASE add pagination.

Thanks!

Feedback and Knowledge Base