I suggest you ...

Popular Photos based on View Stats

I'd like a way to add popular photos to my homepage based on number of views and view stats as an alternative to the thumbs up/comments method for calculating most popular photos. Dgrin thread here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=1154710

Thanks!

156 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Alan Murphy shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Eugene commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is a great idea and I don't understand why it is not a current feature.

When I go to view stats under my account, *I* can see which photos are the most popular over a period of time. The data is already there.

Combine that with the Smart Galleries function and have an album that is dynamically generated to display pictures in descending order, based on the total number of views the photos have received.

Please please please please implement this feature!

• Chip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thanks for re-opening this. Now that stats are available, wouldn't it be possible to provide a widget that would display either the "Most Clicked", or the "Most Viewed" photos in a slideshow (or gallery) on the home page?

If added, I suggest that all photos included in the slideshow (or gallery) not be counted as "viewed" if they are on the home page. I would only count these if they were viewed after clicking them.

• Shaun commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is NOT fixed!

If I go to http://mysite.smugmug.com/popular it is still based on thumb up/thumb down... which is lame, since that doesn't work for SmugIslands.

The stats page inside the control panel shows the info for my SmugIsland just fine... why can't I have a /popular style thumbnail page for stats based "popularity"?

• Nathan Woods commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hmmm.. I've looked at the new Stat's page. Not quite as intuitive as I would have anticipated, and unless I've missed it, it doesn't seem to address the feature request posted? I can see where you can manually sort through each gallery one at a time to see what images were most popular, then I suppose you manually add them to your home page?

• Kim Morgan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like a way to quantify the rating system. Maybe it's as simple as being able to see the number of thumbs up vs thumbs down. Just because someone views my photos doesn't mean they like it and I'd like to be able to determine which photos people like vs what they don't. It would help me decide what pics to keep and which to delete.

• Nathan Woods commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like to include true voting ability, where photo contests can be created within a
        single gallery (as an example). This could be included in the system change to track view stats as well.

• Tai commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is it possible to have the stats NOT include views by the administrator?
        The stats seems to be including the views I make on the site

Feedback and Knowledge Base