I suggest you ...

Clearly indentify 'hidden' photos and make it easier to work with them.

The 'Hide Photo' option is a great feature and currently it's a very quick and easy task to go through a whole gallery culling images from public view by using the 'H' key shortcut and the arrow keys. Unfortunately, once you have hidden some photos, there is no way to review a gallery and quickly identify which photos you have hidden from view. You must manually step through the photos one by one again, paying close attention to the little 'Hide Photo' check box that appears below the image, and only in the SmugMug view. In large galleries, or galleries with many similar images, it becomes almost impossible to keep track of what you've hidden and what you haven't. There is no way to select all of the hidden photos in a gallery for grouping, moving, deleting, keywording, etc.

My proposed feature request is to add the following functionality to the current 'Hide Photos' feature:

1) Highlight all hidden photos with some type of obvious indicator on the image itself. It could be a special watermark or some obvious icon that sits in a corner of the image but, it must appear on all sizes of the image no matter where that image is viewed and, most importantly, it must appear on all the thumbnails so that these images stand out on the various utility pages - caption/keyword, delete, move, etc.

2) Create a way to quickly view all hidden photos, and only the hidden photos, in any gallery, category, or even site-wide. Perhaps this could be accomplished by automatically adding a keyword such as 'owner_hidden' to each image as it's flagged to be hidden, or by using the existing 'Hide Photo' flag and adding an option on the tools dropdown for the owner to view all hidden photos.

3) Lastly, it would be really helpful if there was a small check box visible while logged in with the option to 'Include/Hide Hidden Photos?' Unchecking/Checking the box would actually hide the hidden photos from all views and allow a site owner to work on gallery layout, as seen by a client, without logging out and back in, or flipping between multiple browsers. It can become very confusing when trying to arrange photos for a client if there are several hidden images mixed in with the normal images. I know the 'Visitor View' does roughly the same thing, but it's still much easier to work in a WYSIWYG environment.

330 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    James HillJames Hill shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Craig RooseCraig Roose shared a merged idea: Add Highlighting to hidden pictures and Galleries list margin.  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Apparently there is no simple way of identifying in the Arrange tool display, which images are "hidden" and which are "seen by the public".  ·   · 
    Stacey ZStacey Z shared a merged idea: Hidden pictures: arranging and deleting  ·   · 
    Selena LumSelena Lum shared a merged idea: Allow hide/unhide for multiple photos.  ·   · 
    LahrinLahrin shared a merged idea: provide a way to sort/arrange by "hidden" status.  ·   · 
    MarvinMarvin shared a merged idea: create a view options: hidden, approved, disapproved. Easy searching and deletion capability.  ·   · 
    eugecorboeugecorbo shared a merged idea: allow users to hide multiple photos at a time. Pleeease :-)  ·   · 
    C.J.C.J. shared a merged idea: create a function in the mass delete tool that would i.d. photos that are hidden (a blue highlight?)  ·   · 
    blondievpblondievp shared a merged idea: Multi Hide  ·   · 
    Corner TechnicalCorner Technical shared a merged idea: Hide Multiple Photos  ·   · 
    completed  ·  Mark MacAskillAdminMark MacAskill (Admin, SmugMug) responded  · 

In the Organizer on the new SmugMug, each hidden photo is clearly marked. You can now bulk change photos to be hidden or not within a gallery as well.

43 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • littlerootlittleroot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Well, thanks for returning my vote but I wish it was with the old Smugmug because the new Smugmug is more of a portfolio site and not an e-commerce site so I'm never going to switch. I will go to Photoshelter, or similar if ever forced to go to new version as-is.

• Rick OtisRick Otis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would like the hidden photos capability enhanced so I can allow someone to easily see that I have hidden the correct photos. Right now the only way I can do so is to create a different gallery just for this purpose and use 'tools/many photos/move to gallery' to move a single photo - then repeat (there isn't a move photo feature in 'tools/this photo').

I used the hide photo check box to select photos I want to hide but then realized the 'tools/many photos/move to gallery' thumbnails don't indicate if a photo is hidden.

Ideally, I'd be able to use the tools/many photos/move to gallery feature to select and move the hidden photos to a different gallery if the 'move to gallery' thumbnails were marked as hidden.

• JChinPhotographyJChinPhotography commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can there be some CSS/Javascript code to put a big "X" over the hidden image? Or some other "mark" on top of the image?

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow, I despise the 'hide photo' check box!!! I frequently accidentally hide a photo while trying to hide the browser (command h on mac). This creates SO MUCH trouble when trying to cross reference photos with clients that I can't even scream it loud enough. Many many wasted hours trying to make sense of what went wrong and where. This has become so much of an issue that we have had to find an easier way for our clients to proof photos for album creation.

Any thing to make this better would be a huge help!

• Derek OlsonDerek Olson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please! This is SO annoying. I accidentally hide photos all the time on my Mac because of Command + H being the hide window short cut.

• G J DaviesG J Davies commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I want this feature too -- it's fine to move things to an unlisted gallery to hide them but what do you do when you have many hidden photos amongst the rest and you want to un-hide them again?

• Rhonda PyattRhonda Pyatt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition, add a "hide many" feature like "delete many". Would be much easier. I believe something similar is said further down.

• ManasManas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I upload a complete set of 100-200 photos to a gallery. Next step is to hide most photos except for the bare minimum (maybe 30-40) that I can comment on and share with friends and family.

• dyuhasdyuhas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Given A. Williams comment of 10/10 I wouldn't hold my breath for this feature.

• DavidDavid commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just made a comment similar to this on the smugmug's facebook page and was sent here to make a post and found this one in the mean time. Hopefully this gets in production soon :D Curious...... how long has it been planned?

• staceystacey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hidden pictures: arranging and deleting
        1. Have the ability to send them to the end of a gallery when arranging.
        2. Able to Delete all hidden pics in a gallery
        3. Be able to hide hidden pics from myself.

I would use this feature ALL THE TIME! My hidden pics makes my galleries a mess to look! Hidden images are very hard to organize, arrange and delete as is.

• ChrisChris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have the same issue, I have my galleries set to Thumbnail view and in mode, the hidden check box is no longer displayed next to the arrange check box. So I especially agree with the original authors #1 suggestion of layering a watermark on hidden images to identify them visually (in all display modes). Either a full thumbnail watermark, or even just a top corner ear-mark like shape (triangle) that is red ... something to scan for and find.

In my case, I don't hide many ... only ones the wife doesn't approve, and recently we made a special announcement to the family (we're preggo! woo) and the event gallery had 7 or 8 or so that I needed to hide, until such time the announcement is public - I didn't want to not-upload, or segregate those few images out of the gallery entirely.

Watermarks please! :)

• MarkoPoloMarkoPolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great suggestion - the other issue I have is that hidden photos are still numbered when I'm logged in but not for someone who isn't - that means if my collaborator is looking at #53 for me it might be #75 - confusing. Hidden photos should have their own numbering H1, H2 etc. that is separate from the photo number.

• AJAJ commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love this feature, something I like in Flickr and that is easily seen when done.

• Andy WilliamsAndy Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hm, if you have to hide 500 photos, perhaps those 500 should just be moved to an unlisted gallery, no? That seems to be a viable solution?

• Marcel HDMarcel HD commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Admin Andy Williams made a comment 1 year ago that SmugMug was going to make some changes regarding this. I am wondering, have those changes been made and are they still planning on making more. I just sent in a request to SmugMug regarding this topic and was told to check this User Voice Thread. Glad I can now learn more, but here was my request: (Can you please tell the techs that it would be a great feature to see the "Hide Photo" option in other viewing ops, (like journal view) besides just when the album is set to the Smug Mug view. Please pass this suggestion on to the right department. It would save users of this feature a lot of time of switching to the SmugMug view just to do this.)

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base