I suggest you ...

FTP Uploading

We've all used the various uploaders that are available. And all of us have had an instance where an uploader doesn't work, or suddenly stops working, thereby disrupting our entire workflow.

Transferring files over the Internet isn't rocket science. In fact there's a special protocol for it--the File Transfer Protocol, or FTP for short. FTP is much more robust than http for sending files. It is cross-platform and supports almost every computing device out there, new and old. This way, the only time uploading stops working is when something is broken at SM, not when some code on a third party uploader needs updating. Exposure Manager has FTP uploading capability.

1,387 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    SamirSamir shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    northlincsnorthlincs shared a merged idea: Allow FTP  ·   · 
    Damon ThomasDamon Thomas shared a merged idea: File Transfer / Creating folders is horrible NEED resolution (FTP)  ·   · 

164 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • mastixmastix commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too am in Photoshelter. But the price for storage is unreal. If they ever have ftp here I will open an account here.

• Donald BakewellDonald Bakewell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. FTP is a must! Those opposed are fine with the weak "social networking" type of uploading offered by Smug since they are only uploading 1-3 events per week typically. Now those of us who are uploading 30+ events every week, the lack of FTP support becomes a HUGE PROBLEM!

FTP is the only way to cue up 40+ different events containing 32,000+ images total and click one button to start the mega upload, go to sleep and wake up in the morning with every file in the correct gallery. (I have Gigabit) ;)

A great work around though (that I use) is a program called Star Explorer. http://www.starexplorer.com/
        You have to purchase the software but once you do, it offers an alternative method of cuing up 30+ galleries to upload all starting with one click. The guy who developed it is awesome with support feedback, etc too. With out Star Explorer, I would have jumped ship years ago!

• AdubobootAduboboot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we get an official reply from SmugMug on this issue?
        Especially now that our only option for this (SmugFTP) is stopping his service?
        You cater to professionals but offer uploading no different than social media services.

Please could you offer a bulk uploading service? I hope you will respond.

You will then be quality at every level... (this being the only thing that really "peeves off" your more serious customers.)

What do you think?

• RandyRandy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@aaron, From my perspective, you're missing the point. Having followed this thread for years now, people want FTP (or, these days, SFTP, which uses SSH). FTP/SFTP is a far more reliable, cross-platform, and scriptable protocol than the web services API. It can be used with a limitless variety of clients on pretty much every device and OS.

The fact that FTP also has a concept of directories is a nice aspect, but far from the sole or most important use case.

Whatever platform you use must support SSH, so why not add SFTP? Your underlying platform probably already has it.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why not allow us to ftp folders (directories in ftp talk) to smugmug and then customize the gallery setting. Right now, I can upload my different catagories from the same event by dropping them into the ftp.
        So that's where FTP comes in...
        1) OPEN FILEZILLA ONCE
        2) DRAG & DROP ALL FOLDERS
        3) Go to bed and let your computer upload all night... =) =)
        I completely agree. Without this, smugmug is not a practical option for the large events I cover and hope to host on smugmug.

Please help all of us who require ftp to make our lives and uploading multiple folders in events easier!

• Jens PukJens Puk commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Theres a great app called Send to Smugmug that i just discovered that might help with some of these issues. It lets me you choose a set of photos or folder and send it to your account, there is a field you fill out to create new or upload to existing galleries as well as the ability to change some of the more important options (security etc) Look for it on google

• Iain WeirIain Weir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm in disbelief that you can't ftp images directly to smugmug.

FTP may not be for everyone, it's certainly not pretty, but it's solid and functional.

I typically upload 2-12,000 photos at a time following events and have never had anything but bad experiences uploading through browsers. Being able to ftp means I can bulk upload from phone, iPad, laptop, whatever. (yes through my phone is expensive)

Having tried hosting my images on my own site and using fotomoto which hasn't really worked as well as I'd hoped I was pretty much sold on smugmug until I read this, having googled it I see zenfolio don't offer FTP either.

I've got about 200GB of images hosted on photoshelter, who I'm very keen to leave for a variety of reasons but migrating them without being able to do it directly via ftp isn't going to happen... funnelling everything via my broadband will take months!

Out of interest, why isn't it considered an option? I'd have thought ftp was a staple for a lot of professional photographers.

• aaronAdminaaron (Product Manager / DGrin Admin, SmugMug) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is all very good discussion. What I feel like I'm really hearing is that the request is for the ability to upload folders of images and have them upload as individual new galleries. It seems like that's the use-case at least.

What if you could do that by dragging a bunch of folders into the web-browser and have it create galleries as required? You drop a bunch of folders into your web-browser, the uploader opens, and in the morning you get a bunch of galleries.

That leads to a few questions:
        1) What settings do the galleries take on? Normally you create a gallery first so you can give it a title, description, set its privacy settings, display settings, etc.

2) If the answer to #1 is some default settings, are you OK having to go in and individually manually edit the gallery settings for all the galleries that were created?

3) How would Folders that contain sub-folders AND images be created? On SmugMug folders cannot contain images (only galleries can). Should we create a gallery inside that folder with the same name as the folder and put the images in there? Ex: You upload a folder "Nature" that has photos and a sub-folder "Landscapes". On SmugMug a folder called "Nature" would be created as well as a gallery called "Nature" and a folder called "Landscapes".

@Ham, if you don't know why you would want to use FTP (or more likely SFTP), then just ignore this thread as it doesn't affect you. No one would ever force you to use FTP/SFTP. There's no call to denigrate those of us who do need it.

• MBrownMBrown commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The web upload doesn't always work. FTP / secure FTP may be an old technology, but it's reliable. There are many clients for many operating systems.

Can't believe that Smugmug still doesn't offer this as an option.

• Wolfgang WeisselbergWolfgang Weisselberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Ham McSquirly,

not everyone has your workflow.

For automated uploading --- e.g. because 'very many photos to many different galleries' or because 'multi-month time lapse project with an autonomous camera' --- Lightroom, Aperture, ... nor the web browser are a good idea. How do you automate that properly ... as in, does *everything* and *every step* in the upload process?

When your internet sometimes breaks, you probably want to resume uploading ... without having to sit all night in front of your computer.

Ancient technology isn't bad because it is ancient. I shall just point out that practically all lenses use polished spherical glass elements. Which are way way way older than FTP. Shouldn't you petition the lens makers not to use them, and to use molded aspheric plastic elements instead, cause they are 'cooler' and 'more up to date'?

Nobody says *you* need to ever touch FTP. But is that a reason that noone may have FTP? That is like saying "Most people use only mobile phone cameras. Let's stop building compact cameras, DSLRs, large format cameras, scanning backends, changeable lenses, RAW format, large sensors, external flashes, ... ... ... because I don't need them, they're ancient, and anyway, I have my cellular phone always with me, why would I want something larger, more expensive and heavier anyways? At that --- zoom lenses are not necessary either. My phone doesn't have them and I don't need them."

Actually, with FTP it would take effort *not* to have bulk gallery downloads for the owner. Simply mget * in the right directory. And there's a fine option to go around: just click on every single image and download it.

But I guess I don't need that --- I save all photos locally too and only upload from a single source for now, so SmugMug should concentrate on apps for Symbian S60 phones! (I happen to have such a thing, therefore ...)

(Note: if you find irony in this posting, it's not the same as coppery or silvery.)

• AdubobootAduboboot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In answer to Ham McSquirly...

I have Aperture, and in the case of regular uploading one album at a time, bit by bit as I go through the year... yes, you're right.

Here's where FTP by far beats going through the program : when you have an entire library of TENS OF THOUSANDS of photos and videos to upload at once!
        Unfortunately the guys making these programs (Aperture, Lightroom...) don't think of the guy that just arrives and wants his entire library into SmugMug. At least if there is I haven't found it in Aperture. And to me, even a month of accumulated photos takes too long to do one by one, album by album.

So that's where FTP comes in...
        1) OPEN FILEZILLA ONCE
        2) DRAG & DROP ALL FOLDERS
        3) Go to bed and let your computer upload all night... =) =)

This is all great in principle...
        The only thing I have a gripe with is that usually FTP is not sophisticated enough in case of a crash to verify, correct and pick up where it left off. Then FTP can become a problem.
        But I've mostly had good luck and saved myself hours of work using...even paying the small sum to SmugFTP doesn't bother me because I know how much pain I'm avoiding!

• Ham McSquirlyHam McSquirly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can someone explain to me why you would want to use an ancient piece of technology to upload photos? Why would I want to
        1) leave Lightroom/Photoshop/Bridge
        2) open an FTP program
        3) navigate through my file structure,
        4) and drag photos in,
        5) then go open a Web-Browser
        6) Load up my site and make sure everything is OK.

When I could:
        1) Publish straight from Lightroom
        2) Open a web-browser
        3) Load my site and make sure everything is OK.

Or
        1) Open my web-browser
        2) Go to my site and drag in the photos, upload straight from web
        3) Make sure everything is OK.

With the Lightroom uploader, the great HTML5 uploader, or the number of other tools for uploading straight to SmugMug from Aperture or other applications, why would I want to use FTP? I think I'll save my 3 votes for something that doesn't actually have other options for getting around ... like more gallery styles or bulk gallery downloads or better yet, properly incorporating digital downloads into everything.

No thanks.

• SamirSamir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Smugmug has been hard at work revamping a lot of what the service has to offer. Make your voice heard and vote for FTP.

• EdaEda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In trial version now. If there is no possibility of uploading by FTP, won't purchase it, for sure. Well, there is, but not wanting to pay extra 50$ for the job.

Bye Smugmug!

• John OrttJohn Ortt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yet another +1 for this. I am losing count of how many files are failing to upload.

This has already cost Smugmug a lot of users and I will be another if they don't sort it by my next renewal!

I haven't tried SmugFTP because (1) I don't want to pay extra since I'm already paying SmugMug, and (2) I don't want to upload files to a third party (same reason I don't use DropBox or the like).

I have written some Bash shell scripts that I run on the Unix side of my Mac, that upload multiple files. You tell the script all files you want to upload, then it uploads each of them one-by-one using the web API. I wrote the script to grab the IPTC data using the GraphicConverter interface, which means that it works for both pictures and videos. It's slow, and annoying that I have to resort to this.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9

Feedback and Knowledge Base