I suggest you ...

Add Categories/Subcategories to Gallery dropdown lists (for move/copy/etc.)

This would make it a LOT easier to move photos to galleries whose names may collide; for instance if I have two categories named "People" and "Places" each with a subcategory named "Something", the dropdown on all pages that allow you to move/copy/etc. pictures will just display "Something", twice, without any indication which category it is in. This then becomes trial and error, which is doubleplusunfun. Imagine this with 3, 4, or 5 galleries named the same ...

148 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    shattered.stoneshattered.stone shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Cathy SujishiCathy Sujishi shared a merged idea: alphabetize galleries on the drop-down to make it easier to "move" photos.  ·   · 
    ChrisChris shared a merged idea: List 'full path' for Galleries in move function or lists.  ·   · 
    pinksquidpinksquid shared a merged idea: Move to Gallery. The Select Gallery drop down box needs a sort.  ·   · 
    Vic StapelbergVic Stapelberg shared a merged idea: Please when move or copy list all galleries names by "Alphabetic" order not by date as now.  ·   · 
    YucelYucel shared a merged idea: Improvement to moving photos from one gallery to another  ·   · 
    Petri MatalamaaPetri Matalamaa shared a merged idea: make it easier to find a specific gallery when you area moving from one to another.  ·   · 
    James ConradJames Conrad shared a merged idea: Alphabetize gallery listing for moving images  ·   · 
    mrmattmrmatt shared a merged idea: Sort gallery (or any) dropdown list alphabetically  ·   · 
    Heather DunnHeather Dunn shared a merged idea: Update gallery list in Move to Gallery! Break it down by category so it is more user friendly.  ·   · 
    jj shared a merged idea: When moving a photo to another gallery it is extremely hard because the drop-down lists all gallerie  ·   · 
    CanghuixuCanghuixu shared a merged idea: Overhaul the gallery picker  ·   · 
    Joe ScorsoneJoe Scorsone shared a merged idea: Sort galleries in "Move to Gallery" page  ·   · 

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I consider this issue a bug as it makes all site features requiring a gallery selection unusable where the same gallery name exists in multiple categories/subcategories.

You would only have to display the category/subcategory if duplicate gallery names exist in the list. This would make it transparent for users who do not have duplicate gallery names.

It seems this would be straight-forward to implement. Possible solutions for the drop-down entries:

gallery (category/subcategory)

category/subcategory/gallery

[approaching 4 years since this was originally requested]

• Grant WilliamsGrant Williams commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I added my (3) votes. My original search in this forum was to see if anyone requested a way to sort the Gallery list in the "Move To Existing Gallery" feature. I could not figure out how all my galleries were listed. They appeared to be a haphazard list. I contacted SM and they said the galleries are listed in order by my catagories. I have over 150 galleries and there is no way I can easily figure out the list order. Adding sort by alphabet or chronologically would be easier. However, if they had a drop down by category is would be even easier and save more time.

• Arik ItkisArik Itkis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be great!!! Where there are multiple galleries with same name in different categories it's impossible to tell exact gallery copy/move will go to.

• Dan EckelsDan Eckels commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow. I agree, this is huge. I had big plans for rearranging my homepage now that my second child has arrived, but I don't have time. All I want is to move a couple categories under a new category, even just letting me move subcategories would work, but no. On top of that, if I go with the current method of recreating all of my subcategories in new categories and then moving all of the galleries, the tool for moving my galleries cuts off the names of all my galleries and I can't tell them apart. Ridiculous.

• Heather DunnHeather Dunn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I stand corrected, looking back at the comments, it looks like this has been under review for at least 8 months. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE move faster on this!!! I think this menu is a HUGE hinderance to working with my images on smugmug, and a very large oversight on smugmug's part. Thanks for your time.....but please don't make it too much time :)

• Heather DunnHeather Dunn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been under review for 3 months now..... please change the drop down menu to be categorized. It only makes sense. Almost every other gallery listing menu on smugmug is this way. If I collect photos, it has a categorized menu of galleries, PLEASE make it so for when I move photos to another gallery!!!

• thejohnsonfamilythejohnsonfamily commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wanted to add that seeing the sub category would be even more helpful. Right now I have to name sub-galleries starting with the name of the gallery it falls under because with 4 kids, they all have 1 year pictures so to name a gallery as "1 year" doesn't work because under move to gallery I would see 4 galleries titled the same thing.

• Anne BeanAdminAnne Bean (Admin, SmugMug) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Canghuixu:

It doesn't make the situation any better, but I can at least elucidate the order: It's the order galleries are displayed on your homepage, or if your homepage is set up to display by category, it's the order of the galleries under those categories.

@Everyone:

You're right. You shouldn't have to vote on this. It's more of a bug than a feature request, in my opinion. However your votes have definitely made us sit up and take notice, hence why this "bug" is now definitely "Under Review", or in other words, getting attention it deserves. I'm sorry it's not fixed already!

• CanghuixuCanghuixu commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a follow-up to the comments below, the dropdown for choosing galleries really needs to be reworked. An Explorer-like interface that listed categories that could be clicked to expand to subcategories that in turn could be expanded to list galleries would be ideal. Either that or list everything in alphabetical order. Right now the gallery dropdown is probably the least user friendly feature on the entire site... I've never been able to understand the order in which galleries are listed.

• David EvertsenDavid Evertsen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why can't you make your drop downs standard across the site? Why do we have to vote for this?? I do not understand that reasoning. You can do the drop down in other parts but not in move/copy. That is a problem we should not have to vote on..

• denise.goldbergdenise.goldberg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a hard time believing that this is just "under review". The current presentation of non-categorized, non-alphabetized gallery lists makes it just about impossible to find the correct galleries in the list.

Using the current implementation - if I want to move something I find it easier to delete and re-upload.

To me this is a product defect, not a feature request. Either way, it should have been corrected a long time ago.

• JeffJeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Oops, looks like I might have posted to the wrong thread; this one matches my situation better.

I originally organized by Category (Photography), Gallery (Month-Year) but due to an ever growing collection of photos, I thought I might try
        organizing by Category (General Photography), Subcategory (Year), Gallery (Month) instead which would help clean up the top category page.

However, when I look for the gallery to export to from Aperture 3, I'm only seeing the gallery name which becomes problematic when you have galleries sharing the same name (such as 'January').

Any other suggestions on how better organize stuff?

• kimbomackimbomac commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would wholeheartedly agree with this. Along similar lines, listing all the galleries, categories and sub-categories in alphabetical order would help to find things too when trying to move things from one place to another.

• ejt1964ejt1964 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Mark, a way to move a whole sub catagory into a new catagory would be GREAT!!!. I have many subcatagories with 20+ galleries and when i archive them it takes forever to move 1 at a time.

• Mark McCuneMark McCune commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I like this I will post an alternative idea. If we could have a window explorer like tree so we could drag and drop thumbnails to categories and sub-categories

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base