I suggest you ...

favicon

Hello,

You know, I LOVE SmugMug but not necessarily the smiley-faced "Smuggy" favicon that shows up on browsers next to my URL. Sorry.

've read many of the favicon customization treads on dgrin and am dismayed at the "compromises" us pro Smuggers have to endure when it comes to displaying a custom favicon, such as working on FF and not IE (though not my faviorite, IE is far the most widely used browser in the world) and that the Smugmug favicon loads first and all.

So, Smugmug, what's the current status on the custom favicon debate that brews now and then on dgrin? If it's too difficult to enable a custom favicon for all browsers would it be possible to at least provide an option for disabling "Smuggy" (sorry, again) and having a generic favicon, like the page-with-the-bent-right-corner favicon displayed by Firefox when using a blank startup page (URL = about:blank)?

Thanks.

134 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Steve CrumSteve Crum shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

21 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • AshishAshish commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anything happening on this? There are multiple problems here, with a few different possible solutions:
        1. smugmug can allow user to upload a favicon.ico file. This way, smugmug doesnt have to deal with any IE support issue etc. smugmug only needs to add the link to this favicon.ico in head section

or

2. smugmug can support higher resolution (32x32) icons from the image being used by the user. Current 16x16 downscaling doesnt look good on retina / 4k screens. browsers already support 32x32 and smugmug's own ico file has 64x64 size

• NashNash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any solution to this issue? Can some one update on the latest progress? Help?

• Jesse EstesJesse Estes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is ridiculous. You now have a place to configure this on the new smugmug, but there is no way to upload a .ico file. That's pretty ******** to say the least. Come on guys, you should be able to do better than this...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we have a solution for this? Once, again, very unsatisfied as a pro user to have the Smug Mug Favicon on MY webpage.

• WendyWendy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Andy Williams commented · September 2, 2009 1:40 a.m. · Flag as inappropriate
        we hope to make this fully customizable for pros-- including the favicon-hard-to-handle IE and Safari.

The response was made in 2009!!!!

What's the current status for IE?

• WendyWendy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed with Bill Nichols below can we just turn off the default smug smiley face favicon if a solution for IE display still hasn't been resolved?

I paid smugmug and a domain name not for advertising smugmug logo!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Part of the problem with this function not working when we upload our own favicon file is that for the browsers to recognize it, it has to have the .ico extension. Unfortunately, we can not upload those file types on SM. Can this be fixed?

• Kara SmedleyKara Smedley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I just signed up and was happy to see the favicon option in the "Easy Customizer" settings before I signed up. Now I'm finding that it doesn't even work? I'm paying for a professional site- not to advertise smuggy- that looks unprofessional!

• JChinPhotographyJChinPhotography commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can the Smugmug Heroes change the current smugmug ico code for "SHORTCUT ICON" to be injected AFTER the customized Head Tag code? Then IE and Chrome would ignore the 2nd tag if we have a customized ICON tag in the Head Tag code.

• Matthew CelesteMatthew Celeste commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really unprofessional looking to anyone not using Firefox. A paid service should not be advertising their own brand on the customer's website. Please implement this, it's a big glaring hole in what would otherwise be a beautiful looking website.
        blueflashphotography.com

• Bill NicholsBill Nichols commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Andy - the last status you guys had was from you:

Andy Williams

we hope to make this fully customizable for pros-- including the favicon-hard-to-handle IE and Safari.

is this happening, I have a client (and I have to admin myself as well) that is not fond of the smug D grin smiley having to be there on IE browsers for pro accounts, this could as simple as you guys just putting the tag for our own fav-icon above yours when you render the page for IE - or if we have favicon code, don't put a smug one in at all, or let us just turn off the favicon so the default shows.

Please, status, progress....

• Bill NicholsBill Nichols commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a status on this? Smug - can we just disable the smugmug FavIcon that way if we have set one it will either show or just do the default IE / browser icbn?

• Darter02Darter02 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too find this to be an issue, not a BIG one, but an annoying one none the less. If you can't allow pro users to upload and use a ICO file, then please get RID of yours. I really do not like the smugmug smiley at all.

• BrazBraz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Can we get an estimated timeframe for when this will be customizable for pros? Thx!

• BryanBryan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

No, it doesn't exist currently. No matter what, you are stuck with the smuggy in IE. C'mon Smugmug, make it fully customizable!

• Cory LamleCory Lamle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Steve the icon is very unprofessional for pros and a fix should take 5 minutes of a developer’s time at smug mug to fix. The reason it doesn't work in IE 7 or IE8 is because the link resource to the smuggy favicon.ico is rendered first by IE.

Just right click on a page and view source, you will see several link tags (if you have tried to create your own using smug mugs tools). The first one points to something like "/favicon.ico" (that is the dreaded smuggy icon) then look further down the page and you will see the other link tags that they allow users to inject into the page.

The problem with this layout is that IE takes the first shortcut link it finds and ignores the others. So in IE you are never going to get rid of smuggy until a developer fixes the issue (and hopefully removes smuggy for all pro accounts). FF and Chrome work differently in how they load the link tags that is why those browsers work. It's not that IE is picky it's just how IE renders it's content, the fix should be relatively easy on smug mugs side, I suppose we just have to get enough people to complain about it..

My vote is to remove smuggy altogether. He doesn’t look to bad alongside the logo text but as a fav icon it looks a kindergarten drew it. I mean come on this is supposed to be a top notch photo website where some of the best pics in the world can be found and we got some silly icon up in the corner. Give me a break!!!

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base