I suggest you ...

Play videos when in slideshow mode

When using slideshow mode, it would be nice to be able to actually play the video rather than just seeing the first frame and it goes to the next picture. Ideally you are walking through the slideshow and when you hit a video then you can watch that video before it goes to the next picture or video.

278 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    cfoskettcfoskett shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    JonathanJonathan shared a merged idea: Allow video playback during Slideshows  ·   · 
    damaadamaa shared a merged idea: Improve old-fashioned Slideshow  ·   · 
    Robert ONeillRobert ONeill shared a merged idea: view movies in a slide show  ·   · 

35 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's idiotic that vidoes in slide shows is still unsupported.

Iit's that time of year again and I am re-evaluationg my picture/video hosting provider.

Smugmug just lost (again!) because you don't support videos in slide shows.

I'm going with zen for this year (as they now support vids in slide shows) and will check back again with you next year.

• JarekJarek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The galleries with videos should change the option of slideshow to playlist and play the videos without gas so we can split our movies into videos.

• Ann JustinAnn Justin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Was googling information about this problem and noticed comments going back to 2008! It is now 2012 and nothing has been done about this issue??? It is clearly something that people who use both photos and videos in their slideshows want - and have wanted for a long time.......why has it been addressed? If this company can produce "camera awesome", surely it could do this!

• MarkMark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The way we look at pictures is changing, photo and video are no separate forms of expression anymore. I am very surprised Smugmug is unable to provide a simple solution for this request.

• Don McCDon McC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have tried and left SmugMug several times because I always run up against some stupid problem like this. I have been using Picasa web albums but greatly prefer Smugmug's excellent clutter-free full screen display

• radmamaradmama commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am a Ph**f*** user who would love to switch to SmugMug due to price hikes and general discontent after their purchase by another company. However, a lot of what I want to share with my family (and a big part of the reason for my use of a premium service) is sharing my small vid clips with the grandparents. Was surprised during my trial that these didn't just play. This and the inability to order prints locally are dealbreakers -- will push me to another service. Probably Pi****web albums... Also can't believe how long this has been an issue ("suggestion") and has not yet been addressed.

• simpansimpan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's extremly frustrating having to do six-eight clicks to go to the next video! I have hundreds of really short fammily clips and I am not playing them because it taes too much time to play them all (getting them to play takes longer than the atual playtime)!

• mgyalomgyalo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Really frustating not to see the videos in slideshow mode ! Please add this feature.

• Jo bleauJo bleau commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be a real plus for somebody to see the video in a slideshow!It would be nice to see that in a short time. Thank's

• RhondaRhonda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm doing a trial version and video not playing in slideshow is a total deal breaker. Does anyone know of another service that does show videos in slideshow mode. I'm incredibly disappointed!

• rousehouserousehouse commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

csaba fikker. Yep, "ridiculous". Why haven't you given this topic any votes? Everyone in here should be giving this 3 votes to raise in in the ranks.

Anne, I agree that playing videos when in slideshow mode is a "feature request". However, providing no visual cue that the current image is actually a video is something that should be fixed. It is an ERROR to show our viewers the low quality first frame of a movie and pretend it's a photo. Most of my viewers just think it's a ****** photo and they never even think to play it as a video. I warn them in the comments but I don't think that's enough. Just superimpose a movie camera graphic on the image so that the viewer knows what's going on (and what they are missing).

• Anne BeanAdminAnne Bean (Admin, SmugMug) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@csaba: Thanks for the passionate feedback. I can appreciate your frustration since it sounds as though this is a feature you've been waiting for for some time. We do view it as a feature request, however, rather than a fix.

We'll continue to consider it because it's clear lots of people want it! :)

Incidentally, our pro accounts are all $150/yr currently.

• csaba fikkercsaba fikker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is becoming ridiculous - its 2011, we are paying $150 to $240 per year for pro accounts and you simply cant and wont fix this slideshow issue with videos. Its all over the web your customers are begging for it and there is simply no reply. FIX IT ALREADY!!!

• Meg SolleyMeg Solley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also really appreciate if, when galleries are sorted by Date Taken, videos would show up in their proper place instead of all at the beginning. I realize they don't have the same exif tags as the photos, but the data is in there and it wouldn't be that hard to make sort do the right thing.

This is a big problem and I'm surprised more people are not voting for it. If you have videos and photos in the same gallery the slide show just doesn't work well. I find people don't even realize that they are looking at the keyframe of a video. They think it's just a poor quality photo and move on, never even watching the video! A huge disappointment that this hasn't been given more attention from SmugMug. In the short term at least give us a clear demarcation between photos and video keyframes in slideshow mode so that our viewers know to seek out the video.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base