I suggest you ...

Save HEIC / HEIF photos to SmugMug

Currently the iOS app converts photos saved in Apple's new HEIC format into a JPG image, and then uploads that. If I go to download the photo, I get a JPG back. If I had deleted the photo on my phone, I would have lost the HEIC photo.

When will SmugMug support HEIC format, now that Apple has made it the default on iOS 11? Without SmugMug supporting it, I would have to convert to JPG, defeating the purpose (and benefit) of shooting in HEIC.

I would hope this is on the roadmap, as others like Google Photos have already implemented it.

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/6x2bud/google_photos_now_supporting_heic/#bottom-comments

77 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Shawn Noroozi shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Adminaaron (Director of Product Management, SmugMug) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any of the apps that you use from Apple will export the photos in a way in which SmugMug can handle them (JPGs), so have no fear that SmugMug will be able to continue accepting your photos. Keep taking them and uploading them to SmugMug like you have in the past. The only downside is that we'll convert them to JPGs, so the little bit of file size savings is lost.

@Anonymous: Apple launched the new OS using HEIF only 6 months ago but they offered no tools for other apps to be able to read those files. We're working with our partners to add support, unfortunately none of the tools are able to reliably guarantee they can read every file. As these tools are able to fully support HEIF/HEIC, then we can start adding support to SmugMug.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates on this feature request? It has been almost 2 years and no support for HEIC.

• Jennifer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was so excited to have finally uploaded my entire family’s photo/video library from the last 15 years!!!

As I finished the list recent month, I couldn’t believe Apple iOS now has a new file type that Smug Mug doesn’t support!

Please, please, please update to support ASAP!!!

• Benjamin Siracusa Hillman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been a subscriber to smug mug since 2008 and have always valued it because it allows for storage of "originals" that exactly mirror what I have on my Mac. I know that if both my computer and backup hard drive failed, I could go to smug mug to get the originals back. But now that Apple is going with HEIC format, I have lost the ability to do that. For now I will convert HEIC files to JPGs for uploading to smug mug, but if there is any way to add support for this feature, it would be much appreciated!

• Rich Krebs commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I support the above conversion as I have an I8. I normally put all my photos in Smug Mug. I find I use the I8 more and more over my DSLR. I use a MAC as my LT

• James Riddle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add automatic HEIC to JPG conversion to the drag and drop sections for uploading from Icloud Phots folder on PC to Smugmug. OneDrive (Microsoft) already supports this feature. Smugmug supporting this would allow us to simply drag our photos from the Icloud back-up on PCs to Smugmug in a simple manor, rather than the current and only way which is to use the IOS App to go thru and select hundreds of photos to be uploaded.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is important. .heic is out there. Now SmugMug is less helpful and relevant. I love SmugMug for mastering my library, but if you can't handle many of my new memories, it is a game changer for me. please prioritize this and get it soon! I am accumulating a messy shoebox of photo files. which is exactly why I moved to smug mug!

Feedback and Knowledge Base