I suggest you ...

Allow HD video to be added to Power account galleries

See full posting here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=145188

For video content, the difference between a Power account and a Pro account is that Pro accounts can contain HD quality videos and Power accounts cannot. My suggestion is to allow HD content for Power accounts. Make the value added differentiator for Pro accounts to be the size (length) of the video rather than the video quality.

Point-and-shoot cameras are now recording in HD, I don't think I'm going to be the last person to be frustrated with the inability to upload their short clips without spending a significant amount of money upgrading to a Pro account.

In conclusion, I think the technology has outpaced SmugMug's rules regarding HD video. I believe it would be in your best interest from a business perspective to re-examine your stance on what separates Power accounts from Pro accounts for video clips.

262 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Green FleurdelisGreen Fleurdelis shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

26 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Green FleurdelisGreen Fleurdelis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you to Smugmug for listening, and thank you to the many supporters of this idea. As the originator of the suggestion, I have to confess that I was skeptical that it would actually come to pass. I am happy to say my skepticism was misplaced. Now I just have to figure out how to go from my now unnecessary PRO account back to a POWER account. :)

• EvanEvan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HD for pro accounts is a must! Please Benchmark Smugmug against Shutterfly for HD video and cost to user on a Pro account. HD Video should be provided to Smugmug PRO account users also. DVD quality does NOT cut it.

• XavierXavier commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't see any techno-commercial reason why HD videos should be limited to pro accounts. The benefits of pro accounts are branding and selling at definable prices / make money on printe.

Basic and Power accounts both give unlimited storage, unlimited bandwidth. So there's no reason why the power users shouldn't be able to benefit from HD video.

It's like saying "sorry, smugmungous sizes only available on pro accounts. Normal and Power accounts can only have photos with 600 pixels on the longest side".

Maybe there's a place in the market for "selling" HD videos to our customers like we do for photos, but I can't see it.

So I too would like to be able to host and display HD videos with my power account. As you allow customisations at the power level, I can't see why you wouldn't enable HD videos.

• Bob GlassBob Glass commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement some form of HD video for Power users! HD video is standard now on many consumer cameras and camcorders. Like others here I have short HD clips that I would like to share with friends and family. I'd prefer to do that at SmugMug alongside my photos, but am not willing to pay an additional $90 a year when I can open up free accounts with YouTube or Vimeo. If I decide to go with one of those, I will definitely downgrade my SmugMug account to basic at the next renewal since the only power feature I use is video.

• U. BlockU. Block commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, please, please. I would pay $20/year for 720p for Power Users. Of course, free would be even better!

• Darin JohnsonDarin Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with Raymond B: I'm willing to pay more money to add HD video to my Power account, but $90 more is well beyond my price point. Vimeo's Plus package is very enticing with its two-pass processing and ability to download original files. I don't plan on thousands of people viewing my movies, but I would like a safe place to view and to save my family's memories on video.

I love SmugMug, but you're missing a great opportunity here. Thank you for the eye-fi capabilities with video, but I'm starting to look elsewhere because I can't afford to switch to a Pro account. And suddenly anything less than 720P isn't good enough.

• Benjamin GolinvauxBenjamin Golinvaux commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am suggesting something slightly different : allow 720p for power accounts and 1080p for pro accounts. My Olympus E-P2 shoots beautiful 720p clips but I am really not willing to pay $150 - $40 = $110 a year for this (I don't need all the pro features). I'd really like my videos to be integrated into my Smugmug page. Puh-leeze !

Benjamin Golinvaux (Belgium)

• gillespie.joegillespie.joe commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should be included at the Power level for free. I'm willing to bet there are tons more casual photographers like me with cameras that take HD video that would sign up for smugmug at the Power level just to back up their little HD videos in HD. You sell SmugMug as a great way to back up your data, but you only allow professional photographers to back up their small video files in HD. Since everything is converted to AVCHD format by you anyway, the bandwidth difference would be negligible.

Plus, how many pro photographers (who use all the other commerce pro features) really care about the ability to upload 10 minute HD video clips? This is a consumer feature that screams out for addition by SmugMug to grow their Power level customer base.

• RTMooreRTMoore commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. My new Canon 500D shoots in 1080p. I rarely shoot video, but it would be awesome if I could upload short clips of things on occasion.

• Tom LavelleTom Lavelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

HD video is the ubiquitous standard in 2010. It needs to be easy to dump short clips directly from a camera to SmugMug for the 90% of us that merely want to share videos with family and friends easily and quickly. Editing and transcoding to VHS quality (DVD quality = 720x480, and is not supported for Power users) is a time-consuming hurdle that prevents videos from being shared. My wife won't let me take videos of our 1 year old with anything but our 5-year old P&S camera because she knows they rarely make it to SmugMug for her parents and relatives to see. SmugMug will lose members (like me) if they cannot keep up with the times.

• Andrew MaimanAndrew Maiman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I very much agree that we need HD video on Power accounts! 1080p would be nice, but at a minimum we need 720p. I like to keep my videos along with my photo galleries, and having to post them to Vimeo or YouTube instead (since they look horrible when down-rezzed) isn't an ideal solution. Charge a little bit more if you have to (but nothing crazy)

• Agent DiscountAgent Discount commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree with all of the comments here. There are any number of sites now offering HD video (and often for free). I would definitely pay more for HD video at the Power level, but $90 is just too steep. Please, let me keep my videos and photos together, Smugmug!

• DerekDerek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I totally agree with the previous comments. HD video is basic consumer feature now (phones can record it!) and has little to do with professional photography. How about something like:

Standard: 480p, 1 min clips
        Power: 720p, 1 min clips
        Pro: 1080p, 10 min clips

I think 720p, 1 min clips would cover the needs of the vast majority of Power users. Unless you've got deep pockets, an extra $90 for HD is crazy.

• Henry NelsonHenry Nelson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't need any of the pro user features but would love to have 720p as an option for the power user account - I would happily pay a small upgrade fee for this but not the the extra $90 for a pro account. Cheers.

• PupatorPupator commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree 100%. I'm not going to pay $90/year extra to get HD video when I don't need any of the other Pro features. I am, however, going to have an account that supports HD video somewhere...

• laloirelaloire commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Being able to have HD video on smugmug for power account is a must I think.
        My new under 200$ canon digital camera produces such video at 720p and nowaday, HD is the norm. Check the TV offering, the new digital cameras. Check Youtube or flickr!

First, it make no sense to pay the PRO account for that if you are not a PRO
        Second, just to stay in touch with the competition and the market, HD video should make it to the power user account

• OttoOtto commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You could make another $30/year off me.

I'm trying SmugMug. I'm going with the Power account. I'd gladly pay up to $30/year more for the HD capability, so that's revenue you've lost.

I think this is a marketing blunder. No professional photographer I've seen with a Pro account on SmugMug has any real need for HD video for their business. Most consumers (HD video is truly consumer now) don't really care about e-commerce on their site. So why on EARTH are HD video and e-commerce part of the same plan? It makes NO sense.

C'mon SmugMug. Straighten this out. Add HD to the Power plan or offer it as an extra. There's money on the table. I'd be a SmugMug evangelist if you would fix this.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base