I suggest you ...

Automatic content tagging

Google has recently raised the bar when it comes to auto tagging pictures. Their algorithms are now able to identify a wide variety of things from animals to people's faces to items in the picture. It would really be fantastic if SmugMug would either license the technology to do this (preferable) or implement their own.

380 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nathan shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

29 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a superb feature. So many other sites do it such as Google and Amazon Photo. Smugmug is really behind the times on this!

Face recognition for a current album, using captions and/or keytags from earlier albums. I shoot conventions. For years I have captioned and keytagged each photo with names of people in the each photo. I do not know all the people and it can be difficult finding all the names. However, many of them were keytagged in albums from earlier conventions. I would LOVE to have a face recognition feature that would look at given earlier albums. E.g., search for a face (maybe like FB's face tag to identify "the face of interest" from albums 2016, 2015, 2014.

• Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please keep this completely separate from other tagging, if done.

I already manually tag my photos with my tags. I can't stand the useless auto-generated tags "Table, Lamp, blah blah" from those AI systems. My tag cloud would be crazy useless with that junk in there.

What might be helpful, is a way to add tags to photos using tags that are already in the related gallery/galleries/sitewide maybe (like a multi/auto-select). Then i can be on my phone and add related tags without thinking too hard <tap tap>

• Erik I commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm using less and less lightroom, and more and more mobile phone photos. This has destroyed my tagging system I worked so *******. To have something like Google auto tagging would be fantastic! I don't know how many times (when I used LR) that I uploaded to smugmug and found out I forgot to tag just to do everything all over again...

• Fernando Scheps Serra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be really nice to be able to search for specific pictures of a specific person within all our galleries. Also being able to rate these pictures so for example I can easily list all pictures of my son which are rated 5 star between this date and this date.

• siouxzenkang commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not into the facial tagging. Seems a bit much and not interested in something having my face or my kids face in a data pool.

• Jesper commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I take a lot of photos at my kids sporting events and share them with the other parents. Having facial tagging or general contact tagging would be awesome when looking thru 1000s of photos.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

With 400+ students each year, and thousands of photos uploaded each year, this would be the greatest thing since sliced bread. Photo sales would skyrocket if students/parents could type in a name and find photos in a matter of seconds instead of searching through galleries to find them. Please contact me if you need a beta tester for such an application.

I realize Smugmug does not have the crazy deep pockets or ridiculous resources of Amazon or Google... but... this would really boost my faith in your service. The fact that it isn't here has me sweating a bit. I worry you'll start losing subscribers :\

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Lack of face recognition search is a major deficiency of SmugMug. Clearly, SmugMug has not kept up with other online photo storage services by failing to implement face search. For me, there are more important ("mission critical") features that need to be implemented before face recognition. (1) I need a way to send a link in an e-mail that allows viewing of a range of photos in the gallery, not the entire gallery. (2) Also, the lack of gallery name search in the cell phone app is a major deficiency. However, face recognition will ultimately be required for SmugMug to be competitive.

• John Cloyd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is almost table-stakes for cloud-based photo archives. Please schedule this into a sprint and "get-er-done"!

Yes. This is a great feature to have considering the fact other major photo sharing (cloud) applications offer this for free (sure there is hidden cost). Search is critical.

I would love to see facial recognition, or even subject recognition (i.e. fireplace, kitchen, etc.) built in to Smugmug search function.

I agree. Google Photos, Amazon Photos (prime) and many of the local programs like Picasa and Lightroom recognize faces. It makes image discovery infinitely easier. For example, searching for a picture of my daughter, from two years ago in may. With face recognition, even if I hadn't tagged the image, I would be able to find it, regardless of the gallery it is in.

• Calvin Coolidge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We use smug mug to store pictures from events across the country. Integrated face recognition (across all galleries) would help us to find all the photos related to one individual who has participated in many activities!

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

add facial recognition compatibility with new Lightroom CC. I want to sell downloads from SmugMug that shows a box around the face of each person tagged in Lightroom CC

• Kevin Fischer commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I had a customer ask me if I could put "face Detection on my site so that she could more easily find pics of her daughter to buy prints of. I know that Apple has used this technology in their editing program, iPhoto. I told her I'd ask. Thank you very much!

• Robert commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When I face tag in Elements, upload to SmugMug then eventually download from SmugMug to archive, I no longer see the face tags. The most important thing is for the thousands of my family photos to have face tagging in the archive. Second most important is the ability to see face tagging in SmugMug.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base