I suggest you ...

Make privacy modes not mutually exclusive

As of today, the privacy mode (as specified in Security & Sharing) is one of essentially five modes coming from the different Visibility/Access setting: Public, People I Choose, Password, Unlisted, Private. Apart from finding rather confusing the way these are set through these two settings (is it only me?!), I find that it would be much much clearer and flexible to have four *independent* settings:

- Public / Everyone

- People I Choose

- People with Password

- People with Link

The first should override the others but none of the last three should override another one in the same set. This would allow, for instance, to have an Unlisted folder in a People I Choose folder: If People I Choose were unset in the inner folder (despite inheritance), people I choose would see everything but not the special folder, unless they have a link. If People I Choose were set in the inner folder (default inheritance), then people I choose would see everything as normal but I could give a link to people I do not choose so that they also could see only the inner folder. Both cases seem useful to me and are not possible today (strangely enough, at least to me, a Private folder in a People I Choose folder is Private but an Unlisted folder in a People I Choose is *listed*; why, I really cannot tell).

This would also elegantly solve, I believe, this feature request:

http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/5814743-allow-galleries-to-have-privacy-levels-independent

Thanks,

p.

7 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Paolo Ienne shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Fernando Scheps Serra commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am not sure if I understood correctly your idea, but I also think SmugMug implemented permissions in a very awkward difficult to understand way.

Maybe I am too used to online file sharing platforms like Google Drive and Dropbox but for me this should work like this:

If I share a folder to everybody with the link, then only people with the link should be able to see the contents of that folder, only if that folder contains galleries which are also set to everybody with the link or openly shared. If I set a gallery within one folder as private nobody should see that gallery.

Does this makes sense?

Feedback and Knowledge Base