I suggest you ...

Publish photos to to Facebook

Re-implement the ability to share images from a gallery to a facebook page gallery.

82 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Geoffrey S. Zub shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Jennifer Murray commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This, please, please! I have been trying for 6 hours to all my pictures to show on FB - this was never an issue before when I could share through SmugMug. I don't want to share the link - that does not help me.

• Julie Dermody commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

agreed! Please you have caused so much grief by removing this feature! I have encouraged many people to get smugmug account. I have over 80K pictures and many of them have been shared on facebook but no longer. What have you done? Please please please bring this feature back!

• Janice B Butler commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too cannot share my smugmug photo gallery to FB, It keeps getting DENIED ACCESS. why do we have the option, only to get it turned down everytime. this is extremely frustrating. Why... Why is this happening ? Is it a Smugmug issue or a FB Issue ?

• Duane Baker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was a major selling point for me to use SmugMug. I have been a subscriber for the past 5+ years. If I can not transfer files to my facebook account directly from smugmug then smugmug becomes only a storage site for me. I can save over $ 300.00 a year just saving photos on my RAD drive. Please re install this feature. It is a major selling point for a lot of us. Without this previous share feature to facebook albums, I will not be renewing my subscription. Thanks for your consideration.

• Todd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been looking for this feature and thought that I was doing something wrong. I use smugmug to share across multiple platforms and now have to consider using something other than smugmug to do this. I'm sure others feel the same way...

• Christa Umphrey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm also a long-time user who needs this feature. The interface with Facebook was why I originally chose this platform years ago and you just keep making it difficult. Eliminating the feature that auto-generated links back to orignial gallery images was bad enough but this makes my whole workflow impossible.

• Nick Quinlan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Our primary reason for using SmugMug for the last two years has been this feature. Please bring it back or provide an alternative that works at scale. Downloading and re-uploading thousands of photos (as recommended by support) a week adds hours to our workflow.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Reinstate the publish to facebook icon. Smugmug is worthless without that feature.

• David Cox commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have been a smugmug professional user since 2005 (meaning I've spent on the order of $3k+ on smugmug subscriptions over 13 years). I currently host 56k images representing about .25TB of storage in Smugmug. I absolutely have LOVED smugmug for all the features they offer professional photographers and have continually espoused the wonders of Smugmug to all who will listen. A number of users have subscribed to Smugmug upon my suggestion.

I work as a professional events photographer and have made extensive use of the watermarking tools and publish gallery to facebook tool to make an elegant workflow which my corporate event coordinator clients adore b/c it builds massive brand awareness for their brands, builds active community among their users/attendees, and encourages sharing & commenting on images for their events all while maintaining a clean, full-resolution image with no branding which can be used for their publication needs and for ordering prints by attendees.

I export clean, full-resolution JPG images from lightroom and upload to a public smugmug gallery. These images are then watermarked in the Smugmug watermark tool with the client's logo and text branding showing the name of the event. So, we now have a clean original (which I don't allow the public to have access to) and we have watermarked smaller versions. I use the Smugmug title/caption/keyword editor to bulk add captions with the client's company name, the name of the event and a shortened URL pointing to the smugmug gallery with description of "see more images". I then use the publish to facebook tool to publish the entire gallery to the client's facebook page with settings of include captions and publish as XL or XXL resolution. Now the client's facebook page has a beautiful gallery of their event which includes watermarking and text which describes the event and drives traffic to the smugmug gallery (b/c facebook users get tagged in images and typically only see 1 picture they were tagged in, not the entire gallery in their feed.). Finally, I generate a download link for the gallery's full-resolution (unwatermarked) files for the client to download a .ZIP of all the images for their internal publication use.

These events represent literally 10's-of-thousands of images published to facebook, liked, shared, and tagged by active social media users. Every one of these images maintained the branding of the event host and drop traffic to smugmug which ultimately leads to more print orders from event attendees.

In speaking to smugmug technical support, they suggest that I need to watermark in an external program and then upload directly to Facebook. This means that if I want the smugmug public gallery to also include watermarks, I need to create watermarks for smugmug as well as watermarks within Lightroom for facebook, export 2 sets of files (one clean, one watermarked) and then upload them separately to smugmug and again to facebook. Alternately, I need to create (2) smugmug albums for every event - one with externally watermarked files which shall never be used for ordering prints by event attendees and a second private gallery of unwatermarked images for the client to be used for .ZIP download of the full resolution files for use in magazine publications. This would represent a doubling of the space required for each event (I don't care since we currently enjoy unlimited storage, but I assume Smugmug might).

PLEASE consider these possible solutions:
        1. bring back the ability to publish GALLERIES of XL or XXL images w/ watermarks to Facebook.

or

2. create a tool to allow users to download the XL or XXL watermarked JPGs en-masse from a gallery (just like you allow .ZIP downloads of full-resolution files). I understand that these files would likely not have the native filenames but rather the internal smugmug filenames -- that's fine. Years and years ago (a decade +) there were a variety of API browsers and even FTP access which would allow you to parse and download the versions of your smugmug files in bulk. It appears that all of these tools have been rendered inoperable due to security concerns.

Thank you much for your consideration. I have invested HEAVILY both time and money into smugmug and a REALLY don't want to change providers. However, the additional work needed to provide the modern Social-networking sharing my clients demand appears that I shall have to look for a new provider.

David Cox
        David Cox Photography
        Austin, Texas

Feedback and Knowledge Base