I suggest you ...

Music makes everything better!

Being able to upload songs for viewers to play for each gallery can set the mood for each different photoshoot you are presenting.

620 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    shanna shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

127 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Phanfare did slideshows right. Music, Ken Burns effect, adjust speed (although I see there's another request where you declined to allow viewers to set the speed...I don't know why...make it a preference). Yes, you could make something more fancy with transitions timed to music, etc., but I'm likely not going to take the time to use that feature (but a pro might). What Phanfare had was terrific and we loved it. It was a great way to view and enjoy our photos and family events. They even had a Roku version (but it wasn't as nice as the web version).

I've been somewhat familiar with SmugMug and Zenfolio for several years. As others have mentioned, Zenfolio lets you have music. Last time I tried it, it came with some tracks with your subscription, with another option to pay more for additional tracks, and also an option to upload your own music if you checked a box to make their lawyers happy.

Both SmugMug and Zenfolio have deficiencies compared to Phanfare, but I'm sorely tempted to go do a trial at Zenfolio again. My life is disrupted from the Phanfare -> SmugMug transition and I should probably see where I'm better off. My wife misses the Phanfare slideshows, and that's a big vote for me look at Zenfolio again.

• Kristin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I was a faithful Phanfare customer. I used the site to share all of the football pictures that I took each week of our sons' teams. I loved it and the families loved it. Many became Phanfare users because of my slideshow sharing. I am also a teacher. I take photos all year and then share them with students and families. I have just spent countless hours, actually I counted- 10, editing, downloading, re organinzing, etc. only to discover that there is NO MUSIC for the slideshow!! I am sick. I feel cheated and lied to. Don't tell us that it is the same when it is not. I have 14 days to pay my subscription. Really I have 14 days to copy all of my photos and find a new site. What a shame. This is not a way to build and support your client base.
        Crying in Cleveland.

• Dan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Today is the first time I've really started working with the photos I transferred from Phanfare, and I'm extremely sorry to see that there's no slideshow music feature. This may be a dealbreaker. I hope to hear of a solution soon.

• Michelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am so glad to see all of these posts. As a customer coming from Phanfare, I have found SmugMug to be clunky and not user-friendly. We REALLY miss the music feature in the slideshows. I cannot imagine that this a particularly difficult request to accommodate. Please do not ignore your customers' feedback.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would think and hope that you would recognize the high request for this as well as under "Slideshow Music" 124 and comply with what your customers want instead of offering other services that have no where near the demand that your totals here show.

I would assume if you're not interested in providing what your customers want we will have to look to other sites that meet our needs. I am willing to wait if you're going to start working on this but if you're not and just offering other "awesome features" then I'll start checking out the other sites that do offer free music as well.

Hope I can stay here after all of this time and work but will be willing to move if I have to.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am also a Phanfare orphan. I was a faithful Phanfare follower since 2003. The SmugMug site is not even close to what Phanfare was. All Phanfare users should quickly download your slideshows onto your computers before is too late (May 28, 2017). This will save your slideshows as Flash executable files and will play the same as if you were still on Phanfare. Later you can copy this as a video to upload to a youtube account. There is not much time left. The download button is on the upper right of your screen when viewing an album. You don't need to sign in as administrator to do this. Best of luck. Chris

I am currently trialing both smugmug and zenfolio. They support music and you don't so they get my business.

• Jozef commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I also am a Phanfare orphan who was adopted by SmugMug since Phanfare is closing its doors 5/28 and SM will honor my current PF subscription. The biggest loss is indeed the fact that I can't add music to be slideshows. I would have come over to SM years ago if they had that capability.
        I'm pretty sure there's other than technical reasons SM is pushing back on this that they don't want to share.

Also, I can't believe a slideshow does not play videos!!

Other gripes:
        - folders are always listed first - before galleries. You can't mix the two;
        - Rotating a video requires downloading it and using another application and then uploading again.
        And this is only my first day with SM...

Must have an option to upload and include music in the slideshows!! Can't believe it's not a feature!

• RB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would very much like to see music added as an option for slideshows. Being new to SmugMug, this is a big disappointment. I see an few folks who don't like music on websites, and I agree some website are pretty obnoxious (I choose not to visit those sites), but they do not have to put music on their web sight. I also think some peoples photos are better than others, but I do not suggest we prevent people from using SmugMug because we do not like their photos. I also do not think adding music to slide shows will negatively impact the image of smugmug. When I switched to smugmug and began sharing slideshows - the overwhelming comment from my friends and family was "hey where is the music? we liked that". I also have many Phanfare friends who are on the fence to come over to SmugMug based on this feature. I do not agree it is highly contested, but seems that a few folks are strongly opposed, but no one is suggesting forcing people to use this feature.

• Ernie Gerbasi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should have known that a Phanfare - SmugMug merger would have blown up. It really is about apples and oranges. Aside from music capabilities Phanfare offered design flexibility as well. I have more than 125 albums on my Phanfare site and the variety of color, layout, copy placement and musical continuity linking static and dynamic visuals are the elements that made this a great site.

bigwigsplace@phanfare.com

I would just about give my left foot for the ability to add a simple music player to galleries and also as a separate content feature on pages. Man, it would be great ... so ... so great. Honestly, this is my one and only complaint with SmugMug and the only thing keeping me from using it as my primary website. I can't help but wonder if the only reason they haven't added the feature is because there's some guy on the board of ideation who's one of those "music on websites sucks" guys. You know the one I'm talking about. There's one in every group. What's wrong with this world.

I am hugely disappointed after forced to move my stuff from Phanfare. No music??? What's going on with a silent slide show? My goodness. Also I am trying to figure out how to share the slideshow to someone....

I am so mad...Phanfare should purchase this Smugmug instead.

I'm a new SmugMug client, having been transferred with other Phanfare clients. Phanfare had really awful customer service but a user friendly product that allowed music. So far, my impression of SmugMug is responsive customer service but a couple of big negatives customer reps can't fix: One is the absence of music. The other is that when my slide shows were made available by SmugMug the pictures had all been shuffled and were completely random. It is taking an ENORMOUS amount of time to rearrange them. These two major issues have me seriously rethinking SmugMug, as is the case with other former Phanfare users I know. Customer Service tells me "Engineers are working on this", which is the stock answer meaning nothing is being done, at least in my experience.

Music would be a wonderful feature to SmugMug.
        Music sets the mood for the pictures being displayed.
        Hope it will be something that will be added very very soon!
        Thanks!

• Crutcher commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm very disappointed that there is no music feature on SmugMug for my photo albums I wanted to transfer from Phanfare. I'll have to dig deeper to find a solution!

• RB commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not contested. Majority would love the option of being able to play music alongside our galleries. I would specify that it would be best as an option, not automatic with no option to turn off. Yes Yes Yes please!!!

• Danish Khan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm currently shopping between different providers. I was 99.9% sold on SmugMug and was going to sign up today but after finding out about this, I have to take a step back. I don't want just a web site. I want people to be a part of an experience. Lack of music really takes away that option.

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base