I suggest you ...

customer email branding for pros

when my customers place orders have the email confirmations look like its from the photographer without all the smugmug branding

622 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    KenKen shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    RasmusRasmus shared a merged idea: Logo in a share mail  ·   · 
    jlspicjlspic shared a merged idea: Remove SmugMug logo from share email.  ·   · 
    artieseartiese shared a merged idea: Customize e-mail layout  ·   · 
    Doris SampsonDoris Sampson shared a merged idea: Create attractive Newsletter template for us in our site to send notices of updates to our contacts  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Have different themes for the email to share e.g. I wanted white theme  ·   · 
    ChrisWChrisW shared a merged idea: Share-email with custom logo or template  ·   · 
    Jamie Jamie shared a merged idea: develop a way to send custom e-mails for order confirmations that do not contain smugmug branding.  ·   · 
    aaronAdminaaron (Product Manager / DGrin Admin, SmugMug) responded  · 

While I agree that we need to add the ability for you to brand your client emails I do want to touch on one aspect of this request that a number of people have requested.

We hate that we have to put our ugly SmugMug disclaimer on the bottom of every email. We want to get rid of it, unfortunately, we’re required to put that there by law. Both US and Canadian law require that any commercial company (aka SmugMug) sending an email MUST include text that indicates it originated from us, how to stop being contacted, and how to reach us. This effects all of our competitors as well. There are, however, some things that I think could be done in the future to mitigate this. We could make the text much smaller, for example.

39 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • StuartStuart commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi I am a newby, hi guys, I would like to comment and hope that the designers in Smugmug listen to the views of the professionals. I can see that this issue has been going on years!
        Why on earth is there such a negativity in helping and aiding the professionals you say you are helping.
        If you are selling a pro account, then it should be such. We are not business partners, this is my business and you are supplying me with a professional platform. I want my branding all over the place and wherever I choose and I would prefer my clients not be confused with what could be seen as a third party, it undermines our message!
        I feel been a large firm as you clearly are, you could sort this out in a weekend if you wanted to?

• Rita BaumannRita Baumann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The big point for me is the verbiage and logos in the email itself, more than the disclaimer footer.

As for the footer, check with your legal people to see if we can be INCLUDED in the footer, e.g. this email was sent by Smugmug on behalf of XYZ Photography. This way, we are saying to the client that we are using a hosting provider, and this is not a suspicious e-mail.

• passiontolivepassiontolive commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please, this is really needed and been requested for years. You guys have done a great job with everything else but to then confuse the customer and kill the white labelled experience at this stage really hurts our brand as photographers, cheapens the experience and confuses the customer. A very minimal powered by SmugMug or something to that effect with everything else branded by the photog is a solid approach taken by many services providing features like this and would address the issue.

Happy photographers, more sales and more orders processing through SmugMug is a win-win for everyone. We as photographers know and love SmugMug our customers do not and don't care. They only know the photographer and that's the way it should be.

• aaronAdminaaron (Product Manager / DGrin Admin, SmugMug) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Bradford & Eric: I agree that we should do a better job of branding these emails. I envision something that clearly identifies the order is from you, the photographer, and is "fulfilled by SmugMug". We're not currently working on this but it's something we'd like to get to. I'll keep you updated on the status of this (and I realized, especially with the large # of votes, that this is a hot topic).

• Bradford BennBradford Benn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you for the additional information Aaron. I understand the limitations you outline. The issue that I see is that when one gets an order confirmation it comes from SmugMug and has no information about the photographer until like the 11th sentence as I noted below.

• Eric JohnsonEric Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Thank you - but that is only a small part of the issue. The bigger issues are the thank you must be a statement composed by the artist, and "The Deliveryman Cometh" needs to go away - at least on my sales. Branding and message needs to be under complete control of the photographer. Offer a default, just like you do on the watermark, but provide for a customized email message. I want repeat sales, not offended customers! Your name at the bottom for opt-out purposes can be nothing more than a byline.

• aaronAdminaaron (Product Manager / DGrin Admin, SmugMug) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@eric: I wish we could change how the emails are sent but unfortunately US and Canadian anti-spam law requires that any email that originates from our server has to be marked as coming from us. We do agree with you that it would be much better to have it entirely Pro Branded but until US/Canadian law is changed, we have to do it this way :( Our competitors also have to abide by these laws and I'm sure they hate it as much as we do.

• Eric JohnsonEric Johnson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The standard email confirmation is all about SmugMug - not the photographer. In addition, the large bold letters: "The Deliveryman Cometh" is unprofessional and could even be considered by some as insulting. The light-hearted approach when communicating with us, the photographers, is fine - although it can be somewhat annoying at times. But how communication goes to our customers, especially after they made a purchase - sometimes a substantial purchase, should be completely controlled by the photographer. (1) The email should come FROM the photographer, NOT SmugMug (my customers don't care about SmugMug), and (2) it needs to be a thank you from us, not you.

• RobRob commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't customize the emails? Hmmm. I could do that over at the other site. Of course at the other site I couldn't get prints from my preferred lab.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree - for branding it would be great to have some customisation over the emails. The service is great though

• Bradford BennBradford Benn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I find the whole experience lacking for providing a consistent branding. I have just done some purchases from my own site as a customer (I was signed out). I will say that the experience was less than ideal. My branding was completely lost of the confirmation e-mail. It is literally not until the closing sentence that my name is even mentioned. There are so many ways that the e-mail that is sent can be improved. It could be as simple as having the subject line saying "Confirmation of order from <<user defined text>> fulfilled by SmugMug" from there I can continue. So if I receive this e-mail, I could easily think it is spam. It does not indicate clearly what it is associated with until the last sentence and even that is questionable.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I voted. It is so tacky. I hate the smugmug emails sent out. I paid a lot of money to customize this site, and still it is just a smug mug site.

• Ian BondIan Bond commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is absolutely essential. We are able to customize our site, brand is everything, and suddenly OUR customer receives an email from SmugMug. That might be good for their business, but it is not good for mine!

• Kell Kell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Placing our logo on photos send via the "Share" button would be cool

• Darren OliverDarren Oliver commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amen on this. Can smugmug tell us where we are at on this question? I would think more about buying branding for packaging if I could brand from the beginning. But since my customers are going to be getting a smugmug email I have to start branding smugmug as well to let them know who it is coming from. Frustrated.

• David Aylieff-SansomDavid Aylieff-Sansom commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I love the way that the email share works and they way its present but please oh please can we brand this with our own company logos etc rather than having SmugMug on them, it always raises a question from a clients to how is SmugMug, not that I mind telling them but would prefer it was seamless with the rest of the site.

• Adrian LizunigaAdrian Lizuniga commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

been using mail chimp for mail campaigns and I would like see an integration with smugmug to export email and track my costumers emails

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base