I suggest you ...

enable bulk gallery downloading.

This is already listed as completed, but I thought I'd slap it back on the table because to download an entire gallery requires you to step outside of Smugmug, download external software & run a non-branded app, & that just isn't good enough.

I make wedding photos books using guests' photos, so as a Pro user have external contributors - who are neither photographers nor computer folk & who are, essentially, doing this as a favour - adding photos to galleries using the Assistant password. This part works. Then when I have looked at all contributions, & selected & enhanced the ones which will make it into the book, I let contributors have a look at results & download the whole lot, if they like, in the spirit of a creative collaboration. If a nervous elderly uncle or aunt has gone to the trouble of uploading their photos in the first place, I feel as though I can hardly direct them to yet another site which offers a full screen of instructions to then download an external app. It has no continuity, no reassurance.

This is a deal-breaker for me: in Mobileme I can enable galleries to be downloaded whole, as a zip file, & that works fine. (Mobileme has its own pretty terminal upload problems, but that's a separate issue.)

Gallery download as simple as photo upload, please, in the same language, on the same page & with the same owner control.

348 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sarah GrahamSarah Graham shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    LarryLarry shared a merged idea: Allow guests to download many, selected photos with one action  ·   · 
    HolgerHolger shared a merged idea: Download all pictures of a gallery at once!  ·   · 
    Richard HealdRichard Heald shared a merged idea: Program a 'bulk download' feature into the site, clients don't want to use 3rd party software.  ·   · 

60 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Isaac VothIsaac Voth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need clients to be able to download all the photos in a gallery. Full stop. This is majorly inhibiting smugmug as the perfect solution for series photographers.

• walkthroughmediawalkthroughmedia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely a big deal for anyone who posts photos for clients to download as a zip. Smugmug was looking like the perfect photo service for us until we noticed this deal breaker.

• darelldddarelldd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While this is listed as "completed" I contend that it is only half done. Others cannot download the whole gallery, and that's what I'm looking for. Not for me to DL a ZIP, but for others do DL the whole gallery themselves. Why can't we have the option to allow others that ability?

• v-valentinv-valentin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would still like the option for a "web-size" gallery link to be sent to me, the owner of the account. This is available as an option for a person to purchase as a gallery download but not for the owner. The owner gets the huge full-res gallery. Also, I'd like my clients to EASILY download a gallery in any size they want without having to enter Credit Card info. Right now, I have to set the price to $0.01 and offer a coupon for them. This is a big pain! other FREE sites allow this option...

• JimboJimbo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe I am a bit slow, but although I was able to download gallery as a owner, I was not able to find a way to download gallery as a guest (friend who visits my gallery) without me sending them the link to the zip file.

Is this new download gallery feature only for the owners? Thank you

• Sarah GrahamSarah Graham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yay, thanks SO much, Smugmug, for listening, taking note & innovating! I am so thrilled about this. Thanks again.

• Gregg Le BlancGregg Le Blanc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually, the bulk downloading at checkout as a ZIP file is there, but I am getting complaints from customers saying "I can't open the ZIP File I get!".

I don't know if they are having problems downloading a large ZIP file, or if their Mac has having issues with the ZIP file, or what.

I did notice initially, when I tested this feature out, that I needed to futz around with the cart a little bit before it would let the ZIP option show up. But that seemed to be fixed.

Anyone else have customers say they can't open their downloaded ZIP file after checkout?

Darryl, There is new HTML5 uploader (still in beta) for firefox and chrome. It's really sweet. Go to grin and search for "html5 uploader". I have been using it for a month and I love it.

Dsweet, ZIP is actually standard way to download multiple files. I really don't get your issue. Big button "download gallery" would download all photos zipped in one file. If the download crashes, well then you can re-download it. It's that simple. Btw I download large zip files from Internet (mostly oracle site) pretty often. I almost never have any issues on my home AT&T dsl line. Do you have issues with larger files?

• dsweetdsweet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Darryl, you are missing my point. For me (and many others), the solution must provide interactive, progress. feedback and the ability to restart where the download failed. The Zip solution may satisfy some users, but will frustrate others.

• darryldarryl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jimbo: Native uploader? Huh? Do you mean SmugBrowser (Firefox plug-in)? The Simple uploader is still Java. Olde Faithful is purely HTML-based.

dsweet: Again, I ask you for an example of any site that uses Java or Active X for downloading files.

I am simply stating that, to me, Zip is not a good solution. As a user I don't want to cross my fingers and wait on a huge, zip, download. I want to see progress and I want to be able to re-start where I left off in the case of a network hiccup. I would rather that Java be utilized or download a tool than be annoyed when I have to start a zip-download over from the start.

Just to clarify the uploader you mention although it has not much to do with downloader. Smugmug picked java solution because it WAS the only solution available for both easy use and drag-drop functionality (flash did not support drag-drop in the old days).

I do not use java uploader anymore and switched to new native uploader supported by firefox (and probably few other browsers).

The smugmug upload is a java applet. Most people use it every day to upload their photos. I would choose a java solution over zip files. I just don't like the idea of putting all my eggs in one basket... but that is just me.

dsweet: I've never seen a Java or Active X downloader. No wait -- I have. I think Sun made me use a Java applet download the JDK from Sun. And Microsoft used Active X to make me download Windows Updates. But does anyone outside of these vendors use their solution for downloads? I can't think of any.

Most modern operating systems support Zip files without any third-party add-ons. I've seen it in Vista, Windows 7, and OS X.

Yes, huge Zip files will take a long time to download and will be susceptible to network hiccups. But assuming people are keeping their galleries a reasonable size, I think this is an acceptable trade-off vs. having to install a third-party program.

Also, the third-party site that used to provide this functionality, http://www.smugtug.com/ is no longer running. Probably because downloading images and zipping them up takes a huge amount of bandwidth and CPU. This really should be a service SmugMug provides, and since they're already doing it for purchased digital downloads, it shouldn't be hard for them to do it for free downloads.

I didn’t mean to argue. If SmugMug is reading this, then like you, I would like to see bulk downloading from the SmugMug interface.

We begin to see the problem however, although we agree on the objective, we disagree on what would satisfy users. There are arguments for and against each; Zip, Java, Active X, external program. Zip does not meet my requirements. All other solutions require the installation of something (Java, external, …), which doesn’t meet yours…..I guess SmugMug needs to provide more than one solution.

This is really not a place to argue, at this point we have no simple solution. That is the reality, so talking about ZIP file vs JAVA vs ActiveX is theoretical discussion and won't really solve anything. Yes JAVA can offer better interaction and more features, but it is also slower to start, will show security popup and is in general more complex to code and maintain than ZIP.

At the end, I really don't care what solution we have. All I want is my friends is to be able to download whole gallery with few simple clicks without installing any apps on their computer.

← Previous 1 3

Feedback and Knowledge Base