I suggest you ...

enable bulk gallery downloading.

This is already listed as completed, but I thought I'd slap it back on the table because to download an entire gallery requires you to step outside of Smugmug, download external software & run a non-branded app, & that just isn't good enough.

I make wedding photos books using guests' photos, so as a Pro user have external contributors - who are neither photographers nor computer folk & who are, essentially, doing this as a favour - adding photos to galleries using the Assistant password. This part works. Then when I have looked at all contributions, & selected & enhanced the ones which will make it into the book, I let contributors have a look at results & download the whole lot, if they like, in the spirit of a creative collaboration. If a nervous elderly uncle or aunt has gone to the trouble of uploading their photos in the first place, I feel as though I can hardly direct them to yet another site which offers a full screen of instructions to then download an external app. It has no continuity, no reassurance.

This is a deal-breaker for me: in Mobileme I can enable galleries to be downloaded whole, as a zip file, & that works fine. (Mobileme has its own pretty terminal upload problems, but that's a separate issue.)

Gallery download as simple as photo upload, please, in the same language, on the same page & with the same owner control.

409 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sarah GrahamSarah Graham shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    DeclanDeclan shared a merged idea: Select multiple photos for download  ·   · 
    LarryLarry shared a merged idea: Allow guests to download many, selected photos with one action  ·   · 
    HolgerHolger shared a merged idea: Download all pictures of a gallery at once!  ·   · 
    Richard HealdRichard Heald shared a merged idea: Program a 'bulk download' feature into the site, clients don't want to use 3rd party software.  ·   · 

69 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Geert LeysenGeert Leysen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This should also work for the people you share a share group with.
        Now they can only download one by one.... and I end up downloading them all, en sending them via wetransfer to them instead.. a bit stupid.

• Janet RothJanet Roth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really, really needed. For example, I have a bunch of photos in a a private gallery. Right now I really need a sub-set of those photos on my computer, about 100 of them. Short of downloading each one-by-one, the only way to do it is to go through a bunch of steps. 1) Go to home and create a new gallery. 2) Go back to the first gallery, go to organize and move the desired photos into the new gallery. 3) go back to the new gallery, go to organize, and then I can click download, from whence I still have to do one more click to say download gallery (which is the only available choice so it is completely redundant !)

How about eliminate almost all of that: on the first gallery, inside Organize, after I select some photos, make a "download" function available. Click and it's done.

• Doug LappDoug Lapp commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, this should be a basic function!!! People ask me all the time why they cant down load more then one at a time and my only answer to them is that its a flaw in Smug Mug's system and hoping they will address.

• DMHDMH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am searching for a way to do this too - ridiculous that I can't find one. This is enough to make me change providers.

• MelissaMelissa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I consider this a necessary and basic feature. Is there some reason this isn't already available? Why does *every single visitor to the site* have to download images one by one by one?

• Jack HayesJack Hayes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I concur. Many times you are sharing a gallery of photos with the family or friends who want some, but not all, photos. It becomes quite tedious having to select and download each. You should be able to either collect a batch for download, or have the ability to add a checkmark to all you want to download, then download them as a group.

From a gallery owner perspective, I think it should be an option you can enable/disable for each gallery (or alternatively individually for your best, so that visitors can download some but must pay for the especially good ones).

• Isaac VothIsaac Voth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We need clients to be able to download all the photos in a gallery. Full stop. This is majorly inhibiting smugmug as the perfect solution for series photographers.

• walkthroughmediawalkthroughmedia commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely a big deal for anyone who posts photos for clients to download as a zip. Smugmug was looking like the perfect photo service for us until we noticed this deal breaker.

• darelldddarelldd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

While this is listed as "completed" I contend that it is only half done. Others cannot download the whole gallery, and that's what I'm looking for. Not for me to DL a ZIP, but for others do DL the whole gallery themselves. Why can't we have the option to allow others that ability?

• v-valentinv-valentin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would still like the option for a "web-size" gallery link to be sent to me, the owner of the account. This is available as an option for a person to purchase as a gallery download but not for the owner. The owner gets the huge full-res gallery. Also, I'd like my clients to EASILY download a gallery in any size they want without having to enter Credit Card info. Right now, I have to set the price to $0.01 and offer a coupon for them. This is a big pain! other FREE sites allow this option...

• JimboJimbo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Maybe I am a bit slow, but although I was able to download gallery as a owner, I was not able to find a way to download gallery as a guest (friend who visits my gallery) without me sending them the link to the zip file.

Is this new download gallery feature only for the owners? Thank you

• Sarah GrahamSarah Graham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yay, thanks SO much, Smugmug, for listening, taking note & innovating! I am so thrilled about this. Thanks again.

• Gregg Le BlancGregg Le Blanc commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually, the bulk downloading at checkout as a ZIP file is there, but I am getting complaints from customers saying "I can't open the ZIP File I get!".

I don't know if they are having problems downloading a large ZIP file, or if their Mac has having issues with the ZIP file, or what.

I did notice initially, when I tested this feature out, that I needed to futz around with the cart a little bit before it would let the ZIP option show up. But that seemed to be fixed.

Anyone else have customers say they can't open their downloaded ZIP file after checkout?

• JimboJimbo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Darryl, There is new HTML5 uploader (still in beta) for firefox and chrome. It's really sweet. Go to grin and search for "html5 uploader". I have been using it for a month and I love it.

Dsweet, ZIP is actually standard way to download multiple files. I really don't get your issue. Big button "download gallery" would download all photos zipped in one file. If the download crashes, well then you can re-download it. It's that simple. Btw I download large zip files from Internet (mostly oracle site) pretty often. I almost never have any issues on my home AT&T dsl line. Do you have issues with larger files?

• dsweetdsweet commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Darryl, you are missing my point. For me (and many others), the solution must provide interactive, progress. feedback and the ability to restart where the download failed. The Zip solution may satisfy some users, but will frustrate others.

• darryldarryl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Jimbo: Native uploader? Huh? Do you mean SmugBrowser (Firefox plug-in)? The Simple uploader is still Java. Olde Faithful is purely HTML-based.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base