I suggest you ...

Easy way to select which "multiple galleries" to apply changes to

I recently changed my watermark and wanted to apply it to all except two galleries(three if I include the "Watermarks" gallery). I had to open the dropdown and select each and every gallery. As I did so, a list was populated at the top of the page. I propose the following alternatives when I click on "Multiple Galleries":

1) Display all of my gallery names with a checkbox next to each, with linked "Select All" and "Select None" functionality(preferred).

2) When I select the checkbox for "All of my galleries", fully populate the list at the top of the page(that I now have to populate one-by-one) then I can click "remove" to de-select certain galleries(maybe easier to implement)

129 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Dave_AndersonDave_Anderson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Randy LewisRandy Lewis shared a merged idea: Allow settings changes by Category also, rather than by just gallery.  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Allow updating of gallery settings at the sub-category level  ·   · 
    A.BowenA.Bowen shared a merged idea: Improve Multi-Gallery Selection Mechanism  ·   · 
    Christina DaleChristina Dale shared a merged idea: Multiple Gallery Picker - Settings Tool  ·   · 
    clawdeeyuhclawdeeyuh shared a merged idea: More flexibibility and bulk options for changing settings for Multiple Galleries  ·   · 
    Dan DamanDan Daman shared a merged idea: when you click on a gallery>gallery settings and choose Multiple Galleries to make it easier so you  ·   · 
    JulianJulian shared a merged idea: Simplify settings update for multiple galleries  ·   · 
    LinhLinh shared a merged idea: Make it Easier to Apply Quick Settings to Multiple Galleries  ·   · 
    Peter CostantinidisPeter Costantinidis shared a merged idea: let us select an entire sub-category when working with multiple galleries  ·   · 
    MountainMoonPhotographyMountainMoonPhotography shared a merged idea: Bulk option to change gallery settings at the top gallery level w/o having to select all subcats  ·   · 
    J.p. KrügerJ.p. Krüger shared a merged idea: Add a Matrix/List to batch change typical details (Category, Sub, privacy) on a number of Galleries  ·   · 

39 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • EricEric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Okay, never mind, I am being dumb. I just found the checkbox. Makes a certain amount of sense, it just didn't jump into my consciousness. Sorry for the spam.

• EricEric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am just starting to play with the new layout, so bear with me if I am just being stupid. This is listed as COMPLETED but when I select multiple galleries under the organizer and then try to change a setting (in my current case I am trying to set the style to "Collage Landscape" for all of my galleries) all of the settings options are greyed out and I can't change them. Am I being dumb? Is this a Pro Account thing? My next step after fixing up my personal account is to go in and fix my wife's Pro Account, where this is going to become a critical issue because she has (at least) hundreds of galleries, and I really don't want to have to do this kind of thing one gallery at a time.

• DrewDrew commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The "multiple galleries" feature in gallery settings has been a life saver when it comes to speeding up mass changes across my site.

But for those who have an extensive category structure, I would love to add one simple change: In addition to the "All of my galleries" checkbox, they should have one that is "All of my galleries in this category/subcategory". 99% of the time when I'm making a change, it is to a subcategory full of galleries. Currently, I have to manually select each of sometimes 50 galleries (from an event - we shoot a lot of sports), each with four clicks. So 200 clicks later I finally have all the galleries selected. I think this simple fix will make this so much more powerful!

Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the tool as it stands, but it can be so much better. And really I have no idea what the coding would look like, but it seems fairly simple in concept. What do you guys think?

• ShellyShelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

These features should work across categories and sub-categories. Yeah . . . I just tried to find out what I was missing for something that should be simple, and was told that it wasn't available.

This is where I was sent to make my voice heard. For What it's Worth..... ANDY and friends. Are you listening?

• Colin PurringtonColin Purrington commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Dear SmugMug feedback forum monitor: can you please combine the votes for this suggestion with the votes for the identical suggestion at http://feedback.smugmug.com/forums/17723-smugmug/suggestions/352997-drag-and-drop-organization-for-photos-galleries- ? (And then delete one of them?) I know this suggestion is probably hard, but your competitors all have easy ways to edit and move galleries around. Just saying.

• w3bbyw3bby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure where SmugMug is expending their development resources but they're not hearing the message here and in other forums - THE USER INTERFACE NEEDS WORK. Sorry SmugMug it's not perfect. Here's a use case - Setup an account with 12 categories, each with 10 subcategories, and each with 10 to 30 galleries under them. Now, you want to make a change to all of the galleries in 5 of those categories - like applying a password change. Go ahead and see how long it takes you. The process is not only very time-consuming, it's very error prone as well. And suppose you make a mistake and have to do it all over again...

Bottom line - categories need to be the master of their galleries in many ways - when it comes to shared settings and especially security.

• LinhLinh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Pushing 3 years and no movement on this? At the very least, it would be nice to view things by category/gallery hierarchy so it would make selection easier, albeit still tedious.

This type of control is available on competitors' sites, right? Just curious whether new companies have it, and whether the legacy code at SmugMug will make this impossible. If it's impossible, it would be good to know now. When I signed up I assumed it was a feature that was just hard to find...I was wrong. Had come from Flickr so it seemed like a feature that was standard in early 2000s. Such a bummer.

• Kim McAvoyKim McAvoy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have recently done a big reorganisation on my site, and felt the need to move sub-categories to new categories. This is currently not possible (like the drag and drop organisation of folders that someone else mentioned).

Whilst reassigning a sub-cateogry to a new category would be preferable, the ability to select and edit all the galleries within any sub-category or category would be helpful.

Individualy picking all the galleries in a sub-category before reassigning them to a newly-created sub-category, is terribly laborious.

And then having to re-estabish the new sub-category themes and other preferences, is a bit of a pain. And then the old sub-categories have to be deleted afterwards. This all seems a terrible waste!

• Shelly Shelly commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to expand on this idea of an easier way to view/make changes to multiple galleries at once. Particularly for passwords changes, pricing changes etc. For example, would be great to see list of all galleries - see which are public, unlisted, password protected, change pricelist, add/change passwords, make public/unlisted, change a watermark, change the gallery theme. Sometimes I want to make changes to a bunch of galleries at once.

• MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would also like to be able to apply changes to all galleries in one category

I'd like to second TC's comment...this type of batch selection would give SmugMug a functionality make-over that would change how people use the site. Enabling batch selection should be the number one priority for the company. I honestly don't understand why it doesn't have thousands of votes. My only guess is that majority of voters are SmugMug veterans and might not realize that such a capability is present on most other photo sites. But that's just a guess.

• TCTC commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This kind of selection would be extremely helpful not just for watermarks but all gallery settings and any other place where you want to edit multiple galleries, such as when keywording. For example: Under the sports category I have a subcategory named "boys soccer" and want to add the keyword soccer to all of the photos in all of the galleries under "boys soccer".

• Dave_AndersonDave_Anderson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Anne, I've switched over to pricelists and I think that same picker would be great for changing gallery settings as well. I especially like that that approach would allow me to group things together and eliminate the need to try and remember which galleries have common settings. Brilliant idea!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'll just add my vote for this feature. I am a new Smugmug user, and I was very surprised to find that this feature didn't exist. It seems to me to be one of the most important features a photo site like Smugmug could have.

It's been challenging to get my head around the concept of "Categories", "Subcategories", and "Galleries" and how they interact. So I keep making mistakes in my organizing and I find that to reorganize, I have to go this very long and painful process described above.

I think a lot of people think in terms of hierarchical folders on computers, and it's a simple thing to just create endless folders and drag and drop them to nest them and organize them. I look for that kind of organizational ability in everything. It just makes sense. I assume it's more difficult to implement in something like Smugmug, but I think it would make Smugmug a thousand times more user-friendly and appealing.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base