I suggest you ...

Localization for languages such as Spanish, French, German, Italian,etc. Let's translate Smugmug!

Too many of my clients don't speak English as first language. Please add this feature to the printind outside the US one and we will all benefit.

984 votes
Sign in
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sergio De GregorioSergio De Gregorio shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: do you have chinese version?or chinese employee?i need to help .  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: SmugMug site in German  ·   · 
    JOSE GEFAELLJOSE GEFAELL shared a merged idea: Provide translations for at least the basic functionalities of SmugMug to different languages, at least to Spanish  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Make Smugmug available in other languages  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Version en Español  ·   · 
    ManuelManuel shared a merged idea: Edit or display in a different language the automatic emails that are sent out after event registration.  ·   · 
    Jorge LopezJorge Lopez shared a merged idea: hello I´m interested in an spanish version. Our clients are spanish and it´s easiest for them see the contact form in spanish  ·   · 
    nspz-73nspz-73 shared a merged idea: Enable multi language option in Title and Caption fields and also every other editable field  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: My costumers are latins, I suggest that the car have spanish language options.  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Make the shopping cart and checkout procedure multi language  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Bonjour, SVP, une version FRANCAISE pour la FRANCE, merci.  ·   · 
    Ali Bravo TAli Bravo T shared a merged idea: Productos y servicios de Smug en idioma español  ·   · 
    PaulAnthonyPaulAnthony shared a merged idea: use local lanuages like spanish, french and in my case italian. Princes should be in euro too.  ·   · 
    André NunesAndré Nunes shared a merged idea: portuguese brazilian  ·   · 
    Steve McSteve Mc shared a merged idea: ever thought of making this multi-lingual, french, spanish ...  ·   · 
    Jens SchwoonJens Schwoon shared a merged idea: add localisation for german language  ·   · 
    RobinRobin shared a merged idea: Support multilanguage sites  ·   · 

A new “Google Translate” Content Block can now be added anywhere to your site that will allow your visitors to translate your page into any language they wish. You can find the new content block in the Customizer, under the “Content” tab, in the “Services” section. Note that this will not translate your Account or other Settings, but it will translate a majority of the pages your visitor sees.

I’m marking this as “Partially Completed” because this does not fully close out the task of Localizing the entire site into a different language. The task of Localizing SmugMug is still “Not at this Time”. SmugMug is a very text rich site and we’re going to focus on some other exciting projects. We’ll keep this open though so that we can revisit it in the future!

Sign in
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      • aaronAdminaaron (Director of Product Management, SmugMug) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@thirrouard: as customers ourselves, we care more than you could ever imagine. That’s why we built the Content Block – because we didn’t want to completely ignore this. I marked this as “Partially Completed” because I realize this isn’t localization. There are so many things we want to solve for photographers using SmugMug but localization is an item that doesn’t have as large of an impact as some of the other things we’re working on (and have worked on, like Mobile Web Apps, Client Areas, Private Sharing, new Print Products, an improved shopping cart, and so much more). Our options were to do nothing while we work on our other very exciting projects or take a small step to help put your site in the language of your visitors. This isn't a leap - it's a baby step to do something because we do care.

@lille: As the OP here points out, the goal of localization is for your visitors. To put your website into their language. Localization could put your site into German, but if I visited it, without knowing German, it’s going to push me away. The beauty of Google Translate is that it can put your site into the language of any of your viewers, much more than localization can. Google Translate is great in many languages already and will get better in the languages they’re not great at. So yes, this does get us partially towards being able to let your visitors see your site in any language they wish.

• thirrouardthirrouard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After years of waiting for a multi language support, that's the answer from Smugmug ? that's utterly disappointing. Google translation is something automatic that you could have implement within days...
        I think most of us would be happy with a multi language support even if we would have to type every single items ourselves...
        You guys are missing out huge markets, like china and brazil, because you don't see how crucial it is for some people to have localization. Honestly the main reason why I'm still in smugmug is that I have so many photos and I don't want to bother moving everything somewhere else. I love the galleries, but I think how you guys handle this situation show how much you don't actually give a shot about your customers, no matter what you try to convey.

• WiebkeWiebke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Aaron as happy as I was when I read your comment this morning as disappointed am I now that I tried it. Sure I knew Google Translate would not be the final solution (well I hope it is not at least) and I also knew that Google Translate does not necessarily deliver super good and accurate translations. So I gave it a try for my homepage...the translation into Norwegian would be all right even though I wonder why it translates a Norwegian name into English when I choose the Norwegian translation...but the German translation, seriously I suspect a German with only little command of the English language would be able to understand my English homepage better than that translation...that translation would turn users away from my homepage instantly.

So I am sorry to say this is not partially completed but incomplete.

• Frédéric CorbeilFrédéric Corbeil commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

When using a page with content such as multiple photo gallery, is it possible to edit the "load more" button and add a French word?

• Anselmo HoffmannAnselmo Hoffmann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I need to show and sell my work in portuguese... But I'm not able to do that... So, just because of that, I can't get Smugmug.
        Why not... It is a disappointment. Smugmug is the best for professionals, such a great service, but needs to listen to and respect photographers and consider options for different languages, seriously...
        This is one of hot tops in this forum. So many people asking for it... So many votes... Why do not do that??? I can't understand...

• JOSE GEFAELLJOSE GEFAELL commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In the world, the most mother tongue language is Chinese, the second is Spanish, the third is English, the fourth Portuguese and then the rest, French, German, Italian, etc.

It would be easy for SmugMug to provide the feature of allowing the visitors to translate at least into Spanish the basic functionalities of the site (Home, Browse and Buy).

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there a possibility that in the near future smugmug will be available in other languages. In my case that would be Dutch.

• FélicienFélicien commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

L'absence d'autres langues que l'anglais est choquante et condamne l'entreprise qui n'a pas compris que notre monde est plurilingue!

• Cremades gregoryCremades gregory commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

French my mug !
        Why would i choose a website with just one language if i can have other for the same price with full of translations avaible ?

Sur ce, merci a vous ! Et vive la France

Needless to say, multi-language support is a *must* for a great many people.
        Most of us cater to the needs of people who may or may not speak english, and offering a website in english only is a certain way alienate potential customers.

Please, re-evaluate your decision not to implement it...

Hola,Por favor agradeceria que hiciesen una version en Español de su sitio Web.
        Aqui en España somos muchos los interesados en contratar con Ustedes sus servicios,pero devido al problema del idioma,estoy seguro que muchos no lo hacen,les aseguro que si tuvieran una version en español,los clientes desde España aumentarian muy considerablemente. Gracias.

This should be a must. Is really awful and unprofessional having some text in spanish and some others in english. I don't need admin tools to be in spanish, just need the cookie text (wich in Europe is requiered by law to be there, but if it is not understandable is useless), search button, password galeries...

Just the same way we can change the text on 404 Error page, it's better to give us the power of modify anything, not everyone who speak spanish, english or other languages wants to use the same words.

Please, don't be too mind closed.

• JesúsJesús commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Why you can not choose the language? For when a multi-language version?

• ManuelManuel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You should make it possible to edit or display in a different language the automatic emails that are sent out after event registration. I need to change the template as I can do for the invitation e-mail sent by the owner and the one with sharing infos.

• J UriarteJ Uriarte commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, I would just suggest that you add the option to have different languages. The translation should be done by the web owner. You can see this option on most web pages from other countries outside US. You hit a country flag and you link to your web in the desired language. I believe this could encourage user from other countries to opt for your service. Users want to have access to their local market (web in local language) and global market (english language).

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

Feedback and Knowledge Base