I suggest you ...

Let me password protect categories!

So I've created a category called "Just for Family," with sub-categories of years (2009, 2008, 2007). I've password protected every gallery within the category with the SAME password so they only have to enter a password one time. And say I want to create galleries like, "New job search" or "My trip to Las Vegas" without my employer or co-workers being able to even read the existence of such galleries (and see the feature thumbnail). It's OK that every visitor knows I have a locked category called "just for family" but I don't want them browsing the history of my life via gallery titles ... Sharegroups are not sufficient to solve my need, for several reasons.

497 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    David HosaflookDavid Hosaflook shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Categories Options  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Add Category-level security so we don't have to protect individual galleries and can still sort efficiently.  ·   · 
    Ira HartlingIra Hartling shared a merged idea: to make it possible to password protect a category.  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: Categories should have the option to be password protected, rather than just galleries.  ·   · 
    EZDEZD shared a merged idea: Add a way to secure a category  ·   · 
    Jeff SuttonJeff Sutton shared a merged idea: Password Protection for Categories  ·   · 
    xevrebycxevrebyc shared a merged idea: Adding the ability to password categories.  ·   · 
    shostbytim.comshostbytim.com shared a merged idea: Allow password protecting of categories.  ·   · 

67 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to be able to send a link to a gallery to only the people I want to see it and not force them to enter a password. But also they would only get to see what I sent them not the entire site. Drives me crazy that I have to password protect everything and my family has to constantly know what the password is. WHy can't I just send a link to the gallery I want them to see and thats as far as they go. Why do they get access to my whole site.

• varkgirlvarkgirl commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, but the folder is also unlisted if it is Private, and so is everything inheriting its settings. So nobody can browse that folder. Unless I am confused about how this works?

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree, let us password protect at the top level! It is basic security....please please please give this to us.

• Sanne SkraeddergaardSanne Skraeddergaard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, eventhough this is from 09, it is still very much needed. It should be possible to protect by password at what ever level you want ( Category/Subcategory). I have just set up password on, I do not know how many Galleries, because this feature is not possible. And I have more sites to set up and therefore need it more than ever. Please take a look at this now, it has waited long enough. Thank you.

• KambizKambiz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This request has been originally posted in 2009, it already has many supporting comments with the latest being from just this past month, the feature seems to make perfect sense, and Smugmug competitors do support it. So, given the great overall experience I have had with Smugmug support, I am just surprised why it is not yet being addressed by Smugmug?! Any Smug support hero's care to comment?

• dan dangeldan dangel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

not only password protect galleries, but also change other key attributes, like making them printable, unlisted (or listed), etc.

selecting them one by one is really very cumbersome if you have a very many galleries.

• Carsten R.Carsten R. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please add this feature. I am waiting for it since joining smugmug. And I will take my money elsewhere if there is another gallery with the same features as smugmug plus category passwords. Please realize this is a deal braker!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Wow this was posted 09 and still no response. I really need this feature and is probably the deal breaker.

• JeffJeff commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I very much need to be able to password protect a category so I can direct parents to a collection of galleries where they only need to enter in a password once to view all the galleries in that category. Please add!

This is three years old, and still no progress ???
        Not even a hint that smugmug is listening ???

• paul swedapaul sweda commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Amen!

SmugMug needs something similar to Vimeo where videos (e.g. galleries) can be placed into Albums (e.g. categories). The Album can then be opened with one password to view all the videos. If one wishes, the videos inside can also have a password if you want extra security.

Between lack of being able to use a single password for a group of folders and lack of folder depth, has kept several friends and others from even trying smugmug

Please add this. As already mentioned Sharegroups does not work for this for several reasons.

• RajRaj commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This was the main deal-breaker for me not to go beyond my trial period, even at half price. I don't want to open up names, descriptions of hundreds of my galleries to the public. I was trying to move away from Picasa/Google+ but without this feature, I did not find SmugMug to be much more secure. will try out Zenfolio next.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base