I suggest you ...

Set gallery expiration dates within gallery settings

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to be able to set gallery expiration dates within my settings. I only allow clients to view their gallery for X amount of days and then have to manually go in and change the password to something random that they won't know.

I would like the choice to have their gallery password work for a certain amount of days that I can designate and then when it expires default to a "Your gallery has expired, please contact for more information" kind of deal. Maybe even a "days left" counter when they have to log in to remind them when it will expire.

I don't want to just make the gallery unlisted because then their password would still work. It would just eliminate some calendar set up and reminders for me to personally go in and make the password changes.

519 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Amy LeeAmy Lee shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Please add a gallery 30 day auto-close feature. Never do we sell using a online galleries & clients need a expiration date  ·   · 
    Anonymous shared a merged idea: Links which are expiring  ·   · 
    ClayClay shared a merged idea: have an auto time limit for galleries to disappear.  ·   · 
    Howard SewellHoward Sewell shared a merged idea: Allow me to set an "expiration" date on a gallery. A time after which point it cannot be accessed by my customers.  ·   · 
    Joshua M. BarutJoshua M. Barut shared a merged idea: Add an auto reminder  ·   · 
    AnonymousAnonymous shared a merged idea: I woudl need my client galleries to expire at a date I set...  ·   · 
    KrystineKrystine shared a merged idea: Set removal date for galleries  ·   · 
    MN PhotoMN Photo shared a merged idea: Have a way to set galleries to expire after a certain number of days  ·   · 
    Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson shared a merged idea: Hey guys, I was interested in seeing if there were ways to implement a couple of items that may hel  ·   · 
    Jennifer SkoogJennifer Skoog shared a merged idea: Set gallery deadlines to promote sales and send clients auto reminders  ·   · 
    Berryphotos Weddings-PortraitsBerryphotos Weddings-Portraits shared a merged idea: Self-expiring gallery setting  ·   · 
    marchetbutlermarchetbutler shared a merged idea: "expire" galleries automatically (change passwords) based on a certain date.  ·   · 

67 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Great idea, and i believe this could be enhanced even more by simple setting up another option in gallery settings, that in X amount of days (chosen by owner of gallery) that if you wish to carry on viewing the photos there is a payment option so as to carry on viewing the images, choice of price and the extent of days can be set by the owner of the images.
        I do sports photograph and i have found through statsics that bunters keep coming back and looking at the images of there children for weeks, and to be honest only around about 5% to 10% buy a photo are photos. At least if they were aware of all the options they my actually decide to make a decision when the enthusiasm after the sports event is still there. Is there any body out there understand what I'm saying? If so i thank you for you you response.
        PS in a nutshell free view for 1 or 2 days and after that pay to view / cost can be decided by owner of the gallery.

• Warner TaylorWarner Taylor commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I 1000% agree with Amy Lee! I've been following this request since Sept 2010 and Anne replied on August 15, 2011 14:36 and that is the last time an admin or anyone has even responded to this request.

• Amy LeeAmy Lee commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Doesn't matter anymore... I've had this request posted over 4 years now and something this simple just can't get implemented. I'm really disappointed. Something so minuscule on their end, yet a huge deal to us photographers who are paying A LOT for these services...

• HanzHanz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please implement this idea, you could run this along with my suggestion I.e. A subscription fee option.
        Check out the idea in customization.
        Most viewers are users (awesome photos I'm going to buy some yeah na no commitment)

• NashNash commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to see this feature is this even a consideration?

Can we get a solution for this? I hate tying up my votes on something that SM never sees coming period. If I think this voting really was beneficial, then I'd put 3 on this and remove from some of my others but I have so many that my 15 votes are stretched thin. So, would someone from SM please give us people some kind of information? Does this site ever get any responses from the SM Admins or just here to make us users "feel good?" Ms. Bean commented back on Aug 15, 2011 about this and "I hope we can add this feature and win you over soon. :)" so, my question is when is Ms. Bean's soon coming? Isn't 2+ years a little longer than "soon?" This hasn't even gotten into Under Review but yet it seemed that 2 years ago the admin were looking into it. Again, this is a much needed feature for us small-time photographers who enjoy using SM but don't have the time in our lives to remember to go close a gallery or event. Or, email people who have registered for an event that it is going away on X date.

• John ParliJohn Parli commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Seriously. Smug, you're aren't making life easier for us. Little things like this are much needed.

• Sandra BalzolaSandra Balzola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm very disappointed that this wasn't implemented in the new release. I was almost positive it would be with all the requests on it. Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be going elsewhere once this month is over, since I was just charged. It's a shame!!!

• Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

WHY NOT!?! DO YOU KNOW HOW MUCH MORE MONEY YOU COULD MAKE SMUGMUG? YOU NOT US< YES US BUT YOU>>>>>>>

People buy where theres a deadline. Coupons have expirations. WHY NOT THE GALLERIES SO THAT WE CAN MAKE MORE MONEY FOR THOU

I can not believe that this didn't make it into the new release that was announced today. This is a major feature for people who don't have large organizations with many people working in an office. For the small guy like myself, it is a pain to have to go manually remove galleries on X day. I'm not going to say it looks like a lot of work went into the new SM and it looks good but some of the features that are needed weren't included. I hope a SM rep will reply to this soon.

• KristenKristen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really want this feature! I always tell my clients their galleries will be up for "x" number of days. I have to manage them by hand to be true to what I have said.

• Sandra BalzolaSandra Balzola commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is definitely a must in my business I only give clients access to galleries for a certain amount of days (promotional prices and such) then that's it. Shame with all the other great options on here this isn't one of them.

I don't understand why this idea has been out here for 3+ years and not implemented yet. It isn't like this would be a hard implementation. All it takes is another field in an already large DB Table, and a little extra lines of code on the page:
        1. "This gallery will expire on $experation_date"
        2. if ($expiration_date <= $today) then don't show the gallery and say "Gallery has passed its expiration date. Please contact the photographer to ask if this gallery can be reopened."
        3. $diff_days = $expiration_date - $today
        if ($diff_days <= X days) then say "This gallery will expire in $diff_days so place your order soon"

Come on guys, it isn't that hard. You are adding other ****** items every month why can't this one be done? We increase our dues and can't get some of the simple ideas through?

• Nick PorcaroNick Porcaro commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been using SmugMug for a few years now and asked for this change in my first week as a user. I can't believe this change still hasn't been made....

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base