I suggest you ...

Provide easy method of deleting multiple galleries

Occasionally I like to go through and 'clean up' the galleries on my sight. It would be nice if there was an easy way to delete multiple galleries all at once, similar to the way you can select and delete individual photos in a gallery.

77 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    ericfericf shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    Dionne WilsonDionne Wilson shared a merged idea: BULK DELETE GALLERIES!! Come on, Smugmug!  ·   · 
    Ghyslain BergeronGhyslain Bergeron shared a merged idea: Add a new action (tools): delete many gallery at one time.  ·   · 
    MikeMike shared a merged idea: i'd like to make the suggestion about a feature allowing you to delete multiple galleries at once  ·   · 
    Brian V.Brian V. shared a merged idea: create a tool for better gallery management, mainly mass-deletion.  ·   · 
    sameer chavansameer chavan shared a merged idea: Mass delete for category, galleries, keywords edit  ·   · 

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • deneise deneise commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I deleted a gallery but the name of the gallery appears still, what do I do ?

• RobinMRobinM commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The old galleries must be deleted one at a time by accessing the gallery and selecting Entire Gallery > delete > confirm delete. Scroll to the bottom, find the next gallery, repeat. I never finish cleaning up old galleries because the process is long and drives me insane. Instead I only get through a couple before shaking my fists in the air and moving on. As a result, I still have galleries from 2009!

Could you put in a word to the programmers to add a 'manage/delete galleries' option, where multiple galleries can be removed in one action?

• Nadav VansoverNadav Vansover commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been a customer for several years. An early adopter of Smugmug.
        Only now I "got" to experience the "multiple gallery deletes" others have experienced, and then it hit me: giving easy folder operations will kill the Smugmug model. Plain and simple.
        Users who require such "advanced" functionality tend to be the "heavy users" - the ones who store gigs upon gigs, tens of thousands of pictures and the LAST thing Smugmug needs to do is make the life of such users easier.
        Giving folder operations where one could easily sync a huge library of pictures and videos will encourage many more "simpler" users to store everything they've got on Smugmug.
        This can very likely create many users who will reach 1TB storage and even beyond that (think 100Gb/yr for 20-30 years). And, frankly, this will not be sustainable.

Smugmug could consider giving such folder capability as a priced option. I will (very cautiously) estimate this as a $400-$600/yr feature.
        Ridiculous, huh? If I'm right, then it's unlikely that Smugmug will ever offer this, as subscription rates at such levels will likely be low but, the downside will be that users who can't afford this but now KNOW it exists (in theory, for them) and will be angered...

This is why folder deletes will never happen. This is why truly convenient "sync" tools that are robust and reliable and never create messes will never happen.

I wish I'm wrong with this "little" theory of mine. I'll gladly eat my hat in this case (and go and sync my 20 years worth of pictures...)

• EdwardEdward commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not providing the most essential files and folder operations is really nothing but ridiculous. I was told from Smugmug support that we people asking for a way to delete multiple galleries would be a minority and the function represent what the majority needs.

Whatever. For all of you a good message. After hours and hours I finally found a simple way to do that: Use "Fireuploader", a Firefox Plugin. It´s just working. Still searching for a simple (affordable) way to upload folders as as galleries, yet...

• SamirSamir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have an alpha piece of software I've written to help me with multiple gallery deletes. If you're interested, post here and I'll share it. I haven't fully tested it yet, but it does show you what it is going to delete before it does it so it shouldn't cause any harm.

If someone wants to do full testing on it, I'll be eternally grateful!

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can't believe that SmugMug, as big as it is now, does not support multiple gallery deletion. Like the rest, I am trying to clean up old galleries that are doing nothing but taking up server space, but the frustration of deleting them one by one is only somewhat less that pulling out my fingernails. :( WHERE IS FTP!!!

• MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have 98 galleries that needs to be deleted as the Lightroom plugin has made a mess of these...
        Now i have to manually delete every single one of them - seriously this is going to take way to much time...

• kylekyle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This really needs to be setup, make us enter our password again, have warnings first. Come on!!!

I've got an alpha version of my multi-gallery deleter. If you're interested in testing it, get in touch with me on dgrin.com

• AmberAmber commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have almost 400 galleries that are years old and need deleted. Seriously guys. Make an easy way for us to do this! Ridiculous.

I'm actually working on a tool for this since you can delete a gallery using the browser address bar if you type in the right stuff while logged in. I've needed it since some testing with smugftp has also left me with a bunch of empty galleries.

• DamonDamon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a no brainer. Should already be implemented! Silly that they do not have this feature!

• SpecMouse StudioSpecMouse Studio commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes, this would be handy. Heck, I'll check the box that says
        "Yes, I understand if I click the wrong button, it may nuke every picture on my site, & promise not to do any mass deletions after 48 hours of no sleep!" just so SmugMug crew can sleep easier.

Seriously, the way its set up currently, I don't have time, nor the desire to bore myself to sleep deleting galleries one at a time...Please give us the "Big RED button!"

Cheers,

~Julius

• sameer chavansameer chavan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also there is no mass delete for categories. I was testing the flickr migration tool and it just created 500 empty galleries. how to delete them all ?
        Your system is too weak in batch operations.

Feedback and Knowledge Base