I suggest you ...

Print / Purchase Notification for Non-Pro Accounts

For those of us without Pro Accounts, it would be nice to be notified when one of our photos has been purchased.

I am currently a Power user and recently I found out (by walking into a winery that I often go to) that some random people had some of my photos printed. I've also found out some of my friends have printed my photos. It was really neat to know that people are buying/printing my photos.

Here's why I think this feature is useful:
1) It makes the photographer feel good to know that people are buying their photos
2) It will inform photographers that people are buying their photos and encourage them to upgrade to a Pro account (and thus give more $$$ to SmugMug)
3) If people do buy the photos, I assume SmugMug will get a larger portion of profits.

105 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Aaron MeyersAaron Meyers shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    JohnnyBJohnnyB shared a merged idea: Show "photos purchased" for non-pro users  ·   · 
    Hugo GarciaHugo Garcia shared a merged idea: Allow Standard users to see which pictures are being purchased and by whom.  ·   · 

10 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • B. RoarkB. Roark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please let those of us with power accounts know which photos and what products are being purchased through our galleries. I'm considering upgrading to a pro account, but I want to be able to track what's being ordered first to help me determine prices and packages. Smugmug is missing an opportunity here. I'm very disappointed that this is not a feature of the account type I chose. If the option to buy my work is there, I feel that it is my right to know what exactly is being sold.

• BillBill commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There's already a request for this that is ranked fairly high. Search for "Purchase notification". Your vote would probably do better there.

• karengaryskarengarys commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm shooting a marching band. There are many types of situations that I am shooting, from shows, to staged people or groups, to "fun times". Knowing what was selling would let me know what people really wanted. That could then tailor my future photos.

I don't care who makes money, I want everybody to have fun. Having this option would let me know what to shoot so more people had fun. Smugmug, on the other hand, would make more money doing this because I'd shoot more photos that sell.

The part that perplexes me the most is - this is a guess from an IT professional, I don't really know what happened - smugmug decided to program this feature OUT of the non-pro accounts. They actually worked to make it so we would not see sales. How unfortunate! Just letting this option ride for all accounts would have been easier to develop, and would have given us non-pros the feedback us hobbiests are looking for!

• Mark DickinsonMark Dickinson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would definitely upgrade to pro - if you are selling prints, you are doing good, even if it's at default prices, throw 20 cents of profit on there and pay for your smugmug for the year over a few sales.

• natfootnatfoot commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a pro account and I could see the benefit to Smugmug and the photographer for a simple notification of sale of a photo.

• JasonJason commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think this is a great idea! I certainly would consider upgrading to Pro if I knew people were purchasing my photos.

• ReevoReevo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If people could see that there photos are being purchased, it would create good incentive to upgrade to a pro account!

Feedback and Knowledge Base