I suggest you ...

Allow Visitors to Download only a Selection of a Galleries Photos

Currently visitors can download a single photo or download the entire gallery but they cannot download a subset of select photos of a gallery (for example: if they want to download 15 photos out of a gallery of 500 photos). Please add the ability for visitors to select which photos they would like to be included as part of the zip download.

326 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    aaronAdminaaron (Director of Product Management, SmugMug) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Beth KevlesBeth Kevles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's nice to be able to download a single photo or an entire gallery, but I'm frequently in the situation where I want to download something like 50-100 photos out of a 300 - 500 photo gallery. I use these sets of photos to make personalized albums for family and friends.

So, what I want is to be able to select all the photos I plan to use, then click on download so that I can get them onto my laptop.

In the ideal world, this would look very much like the interface for uploading photos.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

in organizer, I can select a single image to download, or download whole gallery. would be suuuuuuuuuuuuper helpful to be able to select a group of images and download just that selection. Should be an option for back end and front end. Thanks

This is becoming a big issue for us. We want our clients to be able to just download certain photos from a gallery versus either just one or the whole gallery. As we grow with a great deal of galleries it is getting very frustrating not be able to download just a few from each gallery by highlighting them and then just downloading those select files. Not asking to link all galleries, just to download a select few from each one, one gallery at a time. Smug mug needs to correct this soon or we will have to look for another site to use for our business that offers this service.

• MarkMark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is very important to make it much more accessible to share pictures with my friends and fellow travelers. It will be a major determining factor as I try different websites.

I have thousands of pictures and my friends and family do not want to download all of them just to open another app and select again.

Thank you.

• MichaelMichael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really, really would like you to add a feature to enable generation of a link for only a range of photos within a gallery. For example, if I have a gallery that includes all of my photos of a family trip, I may want to share only the photos taken at a dinner with friends that we visited. Please implement this feature!

Please please consider this feature. Out of 250 wedding photos, who wants all of them? Single downloads are tedious and make your product feel sub-professional.

Based on all the votes and comments, I'm clearly not the only one. This is a basic expected feature of today's computer users. Control-click for no-contiguous download selection.

Though it may not be an easy upgrade to program, it will greatly increase the perceived professionalism and legitimacy of your product. Pretty please? At least put it under review for consideration instead of ignoring so many votes. Thank you!

• DanielDaniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Such a trivial feature and yet still missing. I only tried Smugmug because I hoped it would offer this feature. Tried almost any other photo gallery service and can't find anything that offers proper support for visitor viewers.

The first service that offers this will get my subscription money. Not before.

YES!!!!! PLEASE!!!! I need a way for my clients to select only certain images for digital downloads.

• John BertramJohn Bertram commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Giving visitors the choice to "Download All" or "Download Selected" (which presumes the ability to make a non-contiguous selection) has been a core element in the request to implement a usable multi-image download function for YEARS.

The current Download EVERYTHING vs. download --- one --- at --- a --- time --- is technically at least a beginning, but after so many years is still only a VERY partial solution to a long-standing and obvious need.

• Kathy DentonKathy Denton commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I personally would love this feature, which would save me from removing photos before my clients download.

downloading a few images instead of making the client do it 1 by 1. I have just done a wedding and the father of the bride has the link to the gallery!
        other than either downloading the whole of the gallery over 200 images, the only other way to download images is 1 by 1 and I feel it's a bit of a long winded way to do things apart from being extremely frustrating!

• CharlieCharlie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

need to be able to download selected images. galleries can have hundreds and if only 20 are desired the tasks of doing one by one is not fun.

• Ramesh MangudiRamesh Mangudi commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

First of all, I would like to thank smugmug Heroes for adding the option download the full gallery.
        I would much appreciate the ability to download selected photos. The some friends I share do NOT want to download entire gallery..its similar to the option where you allow us to select the photos and delete selected photos...at the same time some events I capture I want to give the option to the host to download the entire gallery...so both option have their needs...

• MichelleMichelle commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@aaron: Thanks for formulating the request. I'm curious to see how many others see the ability to select photos as an important feature for their needs.

"As a small business we have to balance the thousands of feature requests within our available resources." I hear you. Warm fuzzies to all of you for your efforts.

• aaronAdminaaron (Director of Product Management, SmugMug) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@magnus: The original request, for Visitors to be able to download the entire gallery, is complete. A number of side / additional requests were made within the comments of the request and I want to make sure we capture this as votable items. Opening requests for individual parts allows us to get a better handle on which features are most important. For example, it helps us set priorities if we know that downloading a selection of images is more important than being able to add a watermark or limit the resolution of the downloaded image.

We're always listening and as fellow photographers, we want many of the same features as you guys are requesting. As a small business we have to balance the thousands of feature requests within our available resources. This feature request page is one of the tools that we use to help set priorities and understanding details like this are very helpful in making these features a reality.

• Magnus BeckerMagnus Becker commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do we really have to vote for each single part of the download feature? This will take another 3 years until only one will be implemented. *sigh*

Feedback and Knowledge Base