I suggest you ...

Default Settings

Firstly, make the default settings to provide the most protection. Don't make a user have to search for all the boxes to uncheck to make sure their photos are protected. Second, allow the user to make a default setting of their own that will be applied to all new galleries so they don't have to go through all the settings everytime and hope they don't forget to uncheck one of these sharing settings. Thirdly, allow setting changes to be applied to multiple galleries at once. Fourthly, allow the mobile site to actually change gallery settings!!!

I chose a package that doesn't allow selling so when I had a friend say she bought my photos from my website I was in shock. The buy button was actually visible to her and let her buy my photos with no notification to me that she was doing this or could do this. I had to completely block everyone from my website to ensure no one else printed my images without my knowledge.

331 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

37 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Clayton Boyd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

New galleries do not inherit the overarching folder settings. So each time you make a new gallery you have to redo this process of selecting a saved batch of settings. When I'm finished with post I end up making a different gallery for each person I shoot and that translates to Lots of busy work at the computer, and if you forget to do it you look bad in front of the client. Can you please make the option for new galleries within a folder inherit that folder's gallery settings?

Thanks!

Clayton

• WeddingPhoto567657567 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Quick settings are not a replacement for this feature. If I upload many folders of images and select all of the galleries(folders) I uploaded and choose to edit their settings I get the bulk edit settings feature which DOESN'T have quick settings, so I have to go in and change five settings every time. Or am I missing something?
        I only have one quick setting I ever use and I want that as my default.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Actually, it is my understanding that the LR plugin {recent new release) has the ability to edit every advacedngallery setting.

• John Dougherty commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Just one more number to the request. The square thumbnails are what drives me to the annoying gallery setting dance after EVERY Lightroom upload. Persistently lame.

When uploading a new gallery it is necessary to select the correct settings under quick setting. I have 3 that were imported from the "old Smugmug" into the new at the upgrade. I only wish to use the most current as a default but as it stands now the default is the Smugmug default. This default will not show my copyright protection and it does not have the correct pricing. I I neglect to set the quick settings correctly I am giving away photos before I can complete the upload and get it set up correctly. I feel that there needs to be a way to set my own default in quick settings. It sure would make quick settings a more correct title.

It would be great if you could set all galleries sitewide to have a default option to make download all images in the galleries a default

Yes I would love to see this feature as well, especially as we are trying to automate our uploads. We can upload automatically, but cannot set gallery defaults like watermarks and download protection, so it is a little pointless uploading automatically, when we need to go into each gallery to change settings anyway.

• Shane Fellows commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am seriously considering transitioning our studio from Zenfolio to Smugmug (doing tests with a trial) and am frankly quite surprised that this isn't already a built-in feature. For all their faults, at least Zenfolio had the good sense to have galleries inherit settings from a parent that can be customized. Perhaps I'll have to hold off on pulling the trigger until these fundamental usability issues are addressed...

• Jonny Carroll commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Or at least make the default that is built in sort by filename. Some files upload faster than others and the files get all out of order. Sometimes I send the gallery to my client for review before I remember to "resort" them. This causes major issues.

• pat.kane commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We've obviously been provided the means to change the default pricing, so why wouldn't we be able to change the default gallery settings? I recently uploaded a gallery and thought I had applied quick settings, but failed to do so and it cost me sales as I unintentionally provided unwatermarked photos to preview and access to the originals.

• Henry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One more comment--looking at the comments already posted, it seems that this has been an issue for about five years. Seems like it should have been addressed long ago. Please be responsive to these requests.

• Henry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is really needed. As it stands now, every new gallery has some legacy settings from the old SmugMug that I don't want on the new site, and remembering to change each one is a real time waster. All the pretty stuff is nice, but this is something that needs fixing now… Time is money, and this is costing lots of people a lot of time. Please fix this ASAP.

• Cydneejo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It is time consuming and frustrating to reset with each new gallery . . . quick settings don't seem to always work. User error??? NAHHHHH.

• Sergey Konozenko commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Not only this, but also you need to fix a bug in the new SM for quick setting.

One I create a quick setting, I can not later modify settings in it. When my defaults change and I try to write to the same quick setting again, the changes are not stored. I am quickly exhausting available rememberable names for quick setting and they are barely visible in the narrow selection box.

• barrie.spence commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Setting safe defaults would be really useful - quick settings are fine, but it's too easy to create a gallery without any pricing/protection/etc.

• John Farnan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Remove the default setting of allowing people to steal your images by having no right click protection set up unless you set it.
        Its too easily overlooked and for people who sell images its too costly to have someone downloading a FULL RES image then printing it themselves with no profit back to the artist to pay for equipment etc
        Thanks
        John

• James commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I upload via picasa, it's really convenient. I also upload directly via the site. Either way, I really wish I could set a default template (ie. quick settings) that would automatically apply to any new gallery I create. That would make it a *lot* easier to upload many galleries.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base