SmugMug

Welcome to SmugMug’s official Feature Request page. Got suggestions or feature requests? We want to hear from you!

If you’re looking for support or help, please email our Support Heroes at http://help.smugmug.com/customer/portal/emails/new.

Before submitting a new idea please search through the existing ideas. If you find it, add your vote to let us know how badly you want the feature!

I suggest you ...

You've used all your votes and won't be able to post a new idea, but you can still search and comment on existing ideas.

There are two ways to get more votes:

• When an admin closes an idea you've voted on, you'll get your votes back from that idea.
  • You can remove your votes from an open idea you support.
  • To see ideas you have already voted on, select the "My feedback" filter and select "My open ideas".
(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Save HEIC / HEIF photos to SmugMug

Currently the iOS app converts photos saved in Apple's new HEIC format into a JPG image, and then uploads that. If I go to download the photo, I get a JPG back. If I had deleted the photo on my phone, I would have lost the HEIC photo.

When will SmugMug support HEIC format, now that Apple has made it the default on iOS 11? Without SmugMug supporting it, I would have to convert to JPG, defeating the purpose (and benefit) of shooting in HEIC.

I would hope this is on the roadmap, as others like Google Photos have already…

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      You have left! (?) (thinking…)
      0 comments  ·  Image Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • keyword structure correction

Currently if I click a keyword when in a folder and that keyword is used across multiple folders it will show images from all folders. Surely once in a folder keywords should restrict results to images that are found within that folder only?

It seems that folder structure does not reflect the 'scope' setting, what's the point of choosing which key words appear and where, when the result do not follow the same structure?

3 votes
      Vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)
      • Create a way to "mark" photos to take action later

I'm looking to use SmugMug as my safe harbor for all my photos & videos, as well as a place where I can find my favorite highlights and share with friends and family. I know about selecting those I want to "collect." But as I thumb through hundreds of photos it's way faster to simply "mark" those I want to put in a collection album as I go before actually collecting them. You have a "heart" option for clients of photographers but not photographers themselves. Currently there's no way to do it without creating a zillion keywords for each separate…

1 vote
        Vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)
        • Allow the ability to show keywords when mouse is hovered near the bottom of the image across all gallery types.

Currently, when you are logged into the owners account, when you select an image in a gallery and move your mouse to the bottom of the image, all of the keywords are visible. If the gallery is private, then users who you've invited to the gallery, cannot see the keywords when hovering their mouse near the bottom of the image. This should be a setting that you can enable. The search within a private gallery works fine but the keywords cannot be made available to invited users. Please add this feature.

3 votes
          Vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)
          • Before and after photo slider

Before and after photo comparison slider where website users can manually slide between two photos.

11 votes
            Vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)
              2 comments  ·  Image Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Ability to add audio file to "annotate" an image

This could be used for so many situations. I would love to capture my child's voice and have it display along with her photo or picture of her artwork. Or, capture my grandmother's voice talking about a photo that I've uploaded. This functionality could also allow for video or text "annotation files". There is an existing app that does this well, (keepy.me), but it doesn't have a corresponding website.

12 votes
              Vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)
                2 comments  ·  Image Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Create a way to add private/ hidden tags to photos in public albums.

I work for a summer camp, and would like to be able to tag individual children across multiple public albums, without their names being displayed to the public.

Can you create a way for users to add private keywords to public albums for this purpose?

1 vote
                Vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                • Watermark Size Adjustment Slider

Give an adjustment slider in the Watermark Management section to allow user to quickly adjust the watermark size they wish to apply to a particular gallery.

7 votes
                  Vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                    1 comment  ·  Image Tools  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                  • Lighten the default 'proof' watermark

The Proof watermark is too dark. I am unable to view my photos that our camp has posted. Can you please lighten the Proof watermark.
                    Thank you!

2 votes
                    Vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                    • Allow Owner to View, Add and Edit Keywords Inline in Hidden Galleries

Owners should be able to see and edit Keywords right in the gallery view/photo view, just like public galleries.

A similar idea was marked as completed by Andy, but I disagree with that characterization given the substantial difference in the way Keywords are treated for public vs. hide owner galleries.

In a public gallery, it's very easy to view, add, and edit keywords by simply clicking the keyword area in the information bar, entering the keyword, then clicking the check-mark.

In order to add keywords in hidden owner galleries, one has to click the wrench icon, then click Open in…

3 votes
                      Vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                      • Add the ability to see "Focus Distance" in the EXIF data

In Flickr it is possible to find the approximate subject distance, or approximate focal distance in the EXIF data from images. Not many photo viewing programs show this (Lightroom doesn't obtain it correctly). But it can be useful after the fact, to help understand the shots we have taken. Is there any way that you can survey this parameter in your image Info? It may be called "FocusDistance" or "Approximate Focus Distance" or "Subject Distance Range" (I've seen it labeled in various ways). In Lightroom, my photos will always say "Unknown" for this parameter, but if I upload the same…

1 vote
                        Vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                        • Make it easy to add custom metadata labels to photos

Smugmug allows awesome CSS customization - but it seems there's no easy way to add extra labels to images to display selected metadata items. An obvious example would be a photo blog gallery where, in addition to title and caption, one may want to add labels for "date taken" or location. Similarly, a gallery created in response to a photograpy homework assignment might want to include labels for shutter speed, aperture, ISO, and flash mode. (The combinations are endless, and nobody could anticipate in advance what all possible users might need.) I know there is an "info" button, but this…

7 votes
                          Vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                          • List gallery keywords and captions

I sometimes edit my SmugMug keywords and captions to improve usability and information. Yes, I should update my originals at the same time but I forget sometimes.

It would be useful to be able to produce/print a list of my SmugMug keywords and captions to check them against my original list.

I can do this photo-by-photo on screen but this is a very slow process.

1 vote
                            Vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)
                            • create a way to permanently delete the sample watermark from being the default watermark

Please allow a way to permanently delete the default sample watermark that slathers PROOF all over our photos. There is no need for it once you have uploaded your own. We should be able to delete it, OR make our own the default. It is very easy to forget to change it to your own watermark before uploading your photos, especially if you have your setting to apply the watermark automatically.This is a major design flaw!

4 votes
                              Vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)
                              • Edit keywords in multiple galleries

The existing tool for bulk editing captions and keywords for a single gallery is great, but it only works on ONE gallery. When there's a keyword to be changed in MANY galleries, it would be nice to have a better solution.

Consider problems like:

Renaming a keyword:
                                -- Your son is named Robert and you have photos of him in many galleries. You've been diligently tagging him as "robby" for years, but he now goes by "bob". You'd like to change the keyword "robby" to be "bob" instead.

Combining keywords:
                                -- Your son is named Robert and you have photos…

8 votes
                                Vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)
                                • Allow us to export photo name, title, caption, and keywords in text data file

In a gallery, add the ability to download a text file (comma separated, xml, json, etc) that contains the extended data for each photo/video with filename, title, caption, keywords, location data and any other unique data for the file.

You allow us to download the original data, but not the extended data we've added to smugmug.

Optionally this same file could be included in the Download All, zip file.

8 votes
                                  Vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)
                                  • Show "scope" of keyword galleries

Keyword cloud content blocks let you select the "scope" of the keywords they display. You can choose from Current Location, Entire Site, or Location I Choose. Current Location is useful for showing the keywords associated with the folder or gallery the keyword cloud is displayed on. However, when a visitor clicks on a keyword, they are brought to a "keyword gallery" like usual, but it only contains photos from the folder/gallery where the keyword cloud was placed. There is no indication on the keyword gallery that you're only seeing a subset of the photos tagged with that keyword. Visitors expect…

0 votes
                                    Vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)
                                    • Simplify watermark ON/OFF

Setting a gallery's watermark to ON or OFF should be a straightforward thing; it is not. It is possibly to turn the same ON in the "Gallery Settings", but just switching the same to OFF will not take the watermarks away again.

The procedure is this:
                                      Organize > click on the gallery > wrench tool > Watermarks > Select All > Add/Remove > Watermark.

Why this odd divergence of tasks?

What is more: One has to wait for the changes to be implemented. Simple immediate re-viewing of the same images will not show the watermarks to be removed. It will…

5 votes
                                      Vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)
                                      • Display the full name of the watermark in the watermark drop down menu.

In new smugmug, they look like this "ABCDEFG..." I often have identifiers at the end of the watermark to differentiate similar ones that are now getting cut off, e.g. "ABCDEFGHIJv1" and "ABCDEFGHIJv2"
                                        Thanks.

7 votes
                                        Vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)
                                        • Please allow markdown in titles and captions

It would be very nice to be able to add basic formatting like italics and bold, as well as to include hyperlinks.

It'd be nice to have full formatting for captions (including headers and lists), but for titles (and captions if full formatting isn't desirable), just bold, italic, and hyperlinks would make me happy.

3 votes
                                          Vote
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 6
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base